Pull-up/Chin Up Alternatives?

Options
tizzy22
tizzy22 Posts: 27 Member
Hi there, I'm just starting out on the p90x system and wondered if anyone has any tips / suggestions for alternatives for the pull-up/chin-ups? I don't want to purcahse the pullup bar, and I have resistance bands however gave them a try yesterday evening and It hought they were going to snap and I still wasn't feeling a workout. I've heard you can also do wide push ups to get the same results.

Replies

• MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    bump
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    If you're using the bands you're going to need a variety of them. I have a set that I bought from Sports Authority that works great for me. It's got handles that allow you to change the weight of the band as you need to. You will find that as you grow stronger you will need a heavier band so the interchangeable handles work great. I started with a 30 pound band and am now up to a 90 but I need to go higher. I bought the single band handles but will be buying handles that allow up to three bands. Then I can mix and match my bands to get the right amount of resistance.

ETA: I think the bands I have are U-Line brand but any that have the interchangeable handles would be a good option. When you start getting stronger and the band isn't cutting it for you, you can also try moving back. This ups the tension a little bit and makes it harder to pull. I wouldn't be able to get any burn from a 30 pound band now though no matter how far back I move! There just comes a time when you need a higher weight. They do work though! I am going to get a pull up bar and transition to actual pull ups now because I found I'm strong enough to do them and it's from using the bands. Good luck!
  • tizzy22
    Options
    Thanks Knittnponder... for that info. I'll look into those bands, however I'm trying to find an alternative to the bands. I just don't trust them, they feel like they could snap at any given point. Mine are adjustable too but the more I adjust them the more i feel they will snap.

Do you know of any alternative to the bands that you know of such as pushups or even dips that might work?
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Can't you use dumbells? Hopefully you can b/c I am going to do it this fall and I won't use bands, I dislike them.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Push ups are not an alternative for pull ups. Push ups work your pecs (chest), while pull ups work your lats (back).

The only real alternative is a pull down exercise using a lat pull down machine or resistance bands. I know that's not what you wanted to hear.....
  • Mike523
    Options
    Can't you use dumbells? Hopefully you can b/c I am going to do it this fall and I won't use bands, I dislike them.

Cheri, you can use dumbbells for all the weight exercises in P90X, but not as a substitute for pull ups/chin ups.
  • tizzy22
    Options
    Mike, what about dips? Would those work (ie: arms on a bench, feet on a stepper, and dip)...??
  • tizzy22
    Options
    PS: thanks for the clarity on the pushups front :)
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    use the bands! just wrap them around something that will hold, and pull down instead of "up" in whatever fashion they do it on the vid. this is what my workout partner and i did and it really worked.
  • Mike523
    Options
    Mike, what about dips? Would those work (ie: arms on a bench, feet on a stepper, and dip)...??

No, dips work primarily your triceps, and a bit of chest and shoulders.

Take a look here, click on Lats to see a variety of exercises for that muscle group. You'll notice it's mostly pull-ups/chin-ups and lat pull downs: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Cheri, you can use dumbbells for all the weight exercises in P90X, but not as a substitute for pull ups/chin ups.
    I was referring to the bands not the pullups.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,533 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm just starting out on the p90x system and wondered if anyone has any tips / suggestions for alternatives for the pull-up/chin-ups? I don't want to purcahse the pullup bar, and I have resistance bands however gave them a try yesterday evening and It hought they were going to snap and I still wasn't feeling a workout. I've heard you can also do wide push ups to get the same results.

This is something I do with clients. Stand in front of a rail. While holding on to the rail with palms down, squat down till your quads are parallel with the floor. Now from the position, pull yourself towards the rail using only your arms! Don't stand up. If done right you'll feel it in your back.
  • tizzy22
    Options
    you guys are all awesome, lots of tips here! Thanks everyone! For the record, I ended up using the bands... Mike was right - they just work and if I get injured iwth it flying off the door, well then at least I got injured doing something that was healthy! lol
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm concerned about bands snapping too. I've had one band snap on me and I accidentally punched myself in the face when it happened. The Braided bands seem to be a little better. usually, it's put together with three bands and if you feel one band snap, then the other two are still there so you don't end up doing what I did. These are available on Amazon.

Sports authority also has these interesting bands where you can buy the bands seperate from the handles. And the handles allow you to hook in as many as three bands.

I also have a door anchor that allows me to hook the bands into any door. It looks like a hacky sack with a loop. Good luck.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have the door anchor too and it works great. I can put the band as high or low as I need it and as long as you have it correctly in the door it won't come out. (Lock the door so no one opens it while you're working out though!) The bands definitely work the right muscles but if you're really not trusting them why not get one of the door frame pull up bars and just do pull ups? You can use a chair to assist you until you're strong enough to do them without. There are you tubes on chair assisted pull up s that you can watch to see how it's done.