Anyone else struggle with self image issues? So I've lost a

Options
2»

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I've always found that my self-image lagged behind my physical body by a few months during my 11 month weight loss journey.

Also, here's a good book I'd suggest reading.

Psycho-Cybernetics

Even though I am considered athletic by normal standards now in my body shape, I still struggle to see the fit(ter) guy I've become.

I want to have the body that completely leaves no cast of a doubt in my mind about how I look. And I won't stop improving my body's composition until I get to that point.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have felt that way all my life and untile I realized that, I am the only person can make a choice to change the way I think about myself and do something about how I look and feel inside and the way I think. I had a heart to heart talk. About a year and half ago I gave my life to Jesus Christ and have been working very hard to improve my life and lose 100 pounds. I am taking one day at a time and moving forward and not giving up. I have made a choice to make a difference in my life and help others.
  • lissarv68
    lissarv68 Posts: 61
    Options
    LOL it took how many years to see yourself as overweight/obese? Well maybe it takes just as long to change that mental image?

I know that this weekend I went shopping with my boys (husband & son) and literally did a double take when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I stopped and did a couple of goofy poses because I sort liked the image of that woman in the mirror and wanted to make sure it was really me. She was pretty and dressed really cute! My mental image isn't pretty and only wears black clothing that is frumpy and plus sized.

Yes, I do still see myself as obese even though technically now I'm just overweight.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    this topic also made me think of something else.
    i've never had a boyfriend or had any guy ever attracted to me and i guess i always thought it was because of my weight. I never really understood why though because my other bigger friends have had boyfriends and I didn't. But now that I'm nearly 40 pounds down, and almost to a normal weight, I'm worried. I'm worried that it's not the weight guys haven't liked, but it's me. Does anyone else feel the same?
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    I'm the oddball here... :laugh:

I always saw myself as "normal" in my mind because I avoided pictures and mirrors.. I didn't want to face reality..
    Until recently.. a picture was posted of a group I'm a part of and I looked at it and said, " OMG is that me?" :cry:
    Oh and BTW.. it's a pic I have to live with .. It's used in a brochure.. ugh..

It was all the motivation I needed to get started here on MFP .. and I honestly believe it's saving my life. Thank you MFP :love:

I had the same problem myself. I still even have the problem of seeing myself as way thinner then I am. I would even lie to myself "Oh you're only buying a size 20 because the cut is wrong."

Its a hard thing to shake, but really seeing 250 on the scale is what did it for me (I associate that weight number with when I feel my mother truly gave up herself on her weight). That jarred me back to reality about my weight.

But I still look in the mirror and have to remind myself that I'm fat and out of shape.