For the runners out there...

Options
How does one begin to run? My brother in law now lives with us and is more out of shape than I am. He really wants to get into the Canadian military and like me has no one to work out with and therefor really no motivation. He wants to get fit by spring. He wants to learn how to swim and wants to run 4km. The swimming im down with. I can swim! Been doing it as long as I can remember. Running.. I HATE! But I would really like to be able to. Where do I begin? I ONCE jogged 1 km. I dont know how I did it! hahaha So how do I accomplish this and is 4km a lot to run???

Replies

• Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    How does one begin to run? My brother in law now lives with us and is more out of shape than I am. He really wants to get into the Canadian military and like me has no one to work out with and therefor really no motivation. He wants to get fit by spring. He wants to learn how to swim and wants to run 4km. The swimming im down with. I can swim! Been doing it as long as I can remember. Running.. I HATE! But I would really like to be able to. Where do I begin? I ONCE jogged 1 km. I dont know how I did it! hahaha So how do I accomplish this and is 4km a lot to run???
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hi carrie bob! Just wanted to say hello!

Does running to the bathroom from all the water count???

My oldest son wanted to be a captain or whatever in ROTC. When he started HS he couldnt run down the block. He started taking our dog each evening and would set a goal to run a bit farther each night. Within a month he was doing the entire mile.

I dont know how long it took to do the required 3 miles,but he made team leader and lost 60 pounds.

So I think slow and steady wins the race. If you try to do to much (as I did 2 wks ago) You may get hurt and not be able to do it at all. I KNEW better but just had to run the last 1/8 mile. Now I am just back to walking again.

Tis all good tho! Have a wonderful Sunday and good luck with the running!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Check out coolrunnings.com and runnersworld.com to get some information about proper shoes/attire/running form and beginner's programs. If you don't have proper shoes, you won't stick with it, and you'll probably end up with an injury.

Starting to run is just about taking it slow...run a minute, walk a minute, repeat. Then move up to running two minutes, walking one minute, and so on.
  • pjlim
    pjlim Posts: 7
    Options
    It always start with one step at a time. I would suggest if he can run /walk the entire 4 km. He might probably walk the entire length at first with some running in between. It is really self determination to succeed in anything.

Good luck!
  • blzmaxgnrccjkmly
    Options
    check out coolrunning.com for the Couch to 5K training program! I have never been a runner until I did this program!
  • PrettyOscar
    PrettyOscar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Download the podcast from itunes called couch to 5k by Robert Ullrey. Its a 9 week program that builds you up to running a 5k and I think its from the website coolrunnings.com
    Good Luck! I did it and I loved it and it was so easy.:drinker:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you just have to do it. Start slowly and you will build up to that 5K. Definitely check out a site with couch to 5K. Good luck! My pick is from a 5K (my first) I ran a couple weeks ago, next Sunday is an 8K! So excited, it feels great to run :)
  • check out coolrunning.com for the Couch to 5K training program! I have never been a runner until I did this program!

Same here! Now I'm running about 4 miles each time I go out and have done 3 5ks. It's great!
  • yesIcan
    yesIcan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to run too! I find it so hard, so I've made it one of my goals. I would love to be able to run for 30mins without stopping and I'm begining by using this article that I found from runner's world

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381--9397-2-1X5-3,00.html

hope it helps!
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! I will check out the websites and get the right gear! I really HATE to run.. mostly because I always thought I never could. I think it will be a real accomplishment. Im kinda scared! What is the difference between running and jogging?
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Check out coolrunnings.com and runnersworld.com to get some information about proper shoes/attire/running form and beginner's programs. If you don't have proper shoes, you won't stick with it, and you'll probably end up with an injury.

Starting to run is just about taking it slow...run a minute, walk a minute, repeat. Then move up to running two minutes, walking one minute, and so on.

Could you suggest some good shoes for this? I have no idea where to start or what I should be looking for
  • juanitagf
    Options
    Download the podcast from itunes called couch to 5k by Robert Ullrey. Its a 9 week program that builds you up to running a 5k and I think its from the website coolrunnings.com
    Good Luck! I did it and I loved it and it was so easy.:drinker:

Couch to 5K and the podcasts are what got me running again after 15 years. I am now running almost 20 miles a week and have done one 10k with another next weekend. I am registered for a 15k on Maui in January. My new addiction instead of food!
  • juanitagf
    Options

Could you suggest some good shoes for this? I have no idea where to start or what I should be looking for

Find a running store in your town. A good running store will watch you run in several styles and find one that fits your stride and where you will run--trails, track or street.. They should not make you feel like less of a person for just starting out. I do that when I change shoes then often take what I learn and buy the next pair at a cheaper store. I love Saucony and New Balance. I can't wear Asics or Nike as they are so narrow.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Find a running store in your town. A good running store will watch you run in several styles and find one that fits your stride and where you will run--trails, track or street.. They should not make you feel like less of a person for just starting out. I do that when I change shoes then often take what I learn and buy the next pair at a cheaper store. I love Saucony and New Balance. I can't wear Asics or Nike as they are so narrow.

Yup. You need a shoe for your foot width and arch, as well as the running surface and mileage. Hibbett Sports (that's where I work hehe) sells technical running shoes. We have a Runabout Sports here that does as well, but I'm not sure if they're a chain. *Don't* just go to any store with tennis shoes and buy something because it's Nike...make sure the salesperson knows how to choose the proper shoe for you. :flowerforyou:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Don't feel ashamed to begin with run-walking. You do not need to run the whole distance! In fact, it builds your fitness faster if you do intervals of walking and running. I've heard of people who run marathons this way. They run for a mile, then walk for a minute, and do that for the entire 26 miles! Personally, I prefer to run the whole distance (well, I've never run more than seven miles), but when I was able to do speed work, I would do interval training at least once a week. Just because you are "running" doesn't mean you can't take walk breaks, especially in the beginning. You don't have to kill yourself. Just go until you feel like you need to slow down. You'll notice over time that your running intervals will get long and longer.

Good luck and have fun!

Cheryl
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    I live in a small town of 735 ppl. No stores like this around. The closest city is an hour drive.... and the only place I can think of is footlocker... I will ask there to see if there are any good places like you have suggested.. but I doubt it. The city is small too. If I cant get "Custom" shoes... what are a good brand I could keep an eye out for?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I live in a small town of 735 ppl. No stores like this around. The closest city is an hour drive.... and the only place I can think of is footlocker... I will ask there to see if there are any good places like you have suggested.. but I doubt it. The city is small too. If I cant get "Custom" shoes... what are a good brand I could keep an eye out for?

IMO, Brooks are the best shoes you can buy. They make shoes for people who have flat, normal, or high arches, who under or overpronate, and who have larger body mass. They're highly specific and have silicone instead of gel, so they last longer.

Asics are second only because they use gel and are somewhat narrow. They're still highly specific.

New Balance are a great walking shoe that offer a lot of support and stability, but can get very bulky and heavy.

Nike makes some cool looking shoes, but to say a Shox is a running shoe is like saying you should go swimming in your everyday clothing. Sure, it's possible, but impractical. Also, they are often narrow and most have a 'one arch fits all' design, which isn't the case. Same for Adidas.
  • rlh0614
    rlh0614 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    WOW! This is great information! I just started running myself - I have done a few 5ks but couldn't run the whole thing - embarassing.... thanks for the couch to runner tip! :embarassed:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    WOW! This is great information! I just started running myself - I have done a few 5ks but couldn't run the whole thing - embarassing.... thanks for the couch to runner tip! :embarassed:

Don't be embarrassed! Just BEING IN the 5k is more than 90% of the population can say! There are people who can't even walk a half mile, let alone run 3. Be very proud. :flowerforyou:
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    how do you know what kind of arch you have?