Cheat day to cheat starvation mode?

Options
I had this thought on my run this morning. I know cheat days are important (for me at least) because if I want something fatty or sugary I can still have it, I just have to wait until Sunday. Craving a hamburger and fries? I better eat my chicken boobs and brussel sprouts tonight, because on Sunday I feast! Apple pie a la mode? Finish that last mile hard because Sunday will be here soon!

But do cheat days also help keep your body from settling into the dreaded starvation mode? Obviously to lose weight you have to use more calories than you consume, and doing this to extreme or for long periods of time can lead to your body either adjusting to the set intake or holding on to the fat it already has because it must have been a hard winter. So it makes sense to me that a cheat day lets your body know that yes food is aplenty and it's okay to let go of those fat reserves. Does anyone know of any research that may back up this train of thought, or am I just trying to revel in my cheat days a little too much?

Replies

• Charlotte012
    Charlotte012 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a logical idea.... but never tried it...

I consider Tuesday and Sunday my cheat days because I don't go to the gym and tend to go over my calories a little :)
    The other days I do fine... if I planned a serious cheat day though, not sure I'd be able to stop the next day!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I don't believe starvation mode even exists unless you are like 15% body fat or less.

So no....cheat day is to keep you on track and not feel like you are giving up everything, and eventually fail on your journey to eating right. If I gave up everything I would scream.

Everything is good in moderation.
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    That's a good question. Curious as to what others say. I do think however that if you go out of control on your cheat day, you are just undoing all your hard work from that week. Especially if you do this once every week. I try to limit those types of events to once per 3 or 4 weeks.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I don't believe starvation mode even exists unless you are like 15% body fat or less.

So no....cheat day is to keep you on track and not feel like you are giving up everything, and eventually fail on your journey to eating right. If I gave up everything I would scream.

agreed .

has anyone ever looked into how long it actualy takes to get into this 'phantom' mode ?
  • carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, just in moderation and I take what I'm eating into account. Cheat days do NOT help with starvation mode. Starvation mode only happens when you cut your intake to 50% of what your body requires. "cheat days" are nothing more than that. And yes I think you are reveling in your cheat days a little too much lol
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Can I just say that I LOVE that you call them "chicken boobs." I thought I was the only one. :laugh:

As far as cheat days... I don't plan them, but they happen for me. Every now and then I just go over, and I do go ahead and log it so I don't go completely hog-wild, but I also don't beat myself up over it or kill myself trying to burn off the extra calories when it happens. And I honestly think that's one of the biggest reasons that I've been losing so steadily and haven't hit any kind of plateau, for the exact reasons that you're stating there. I could be wrong, but it seems to work for me.
  • tejoman
    tejoman Posts: 12
    Options
    No, your body will only go in to starvation mode if it doesn't have enough calories to maintain normal functions. Your body doesn't care if those calories come from chicken breasts or red velvet cake, it just needs them to survive. And cheat days are actually less important than you might think. Scheduled cheat meals say every other day (or whenever works for you) that are small tend to work a lot better, and are healthier
  • heaventrull
    heaventrull Posts: 22 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly...
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    It's an interesting thought. I consider my cheat days a "morale booster" as long as I don't go overboard. Otherwise, I'd go insane! :wink:
  • hayleyxxwxx
    hayleyxxwxx Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I recently plateaud at 1401b and was stuck at this weight for weeks and weeks. During this time i was sticking to my set calories, exercising almost every day and eating back most of my exercise calories. This last week, everything went out that window, diet and exercise and what happened.....i lost 4 1bs during that week eating pretty much what i wanted...how and why does that happen?
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't have a whole day - I allow myself one cheat meal - usually the same day of the week, not necessarily the same meal. It gives me some freedom, without allowing myself to way over indulge. On those days I make sure I do plenty of cardio so the damage is minimal and mentally I don't feel like I have sabotaged a lot of work.

Moderation - I have had to teach myself that there are "sometimes" foods and cake and ice-cream (my weakness) falls into that catagory. :0)
  • AliC74
    AliC74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in agreement that the concept of a "cheat" day (or preferably cheat meal) is to simply keep you on track with a diet, by allowing yourself so-called "forbidden" foods during that time.

The reality is, most "cheat days" or meals, don't have anything more than a mental effect on a dieter, unless, as a PP indicated, bodyfat levels are already quite low. In that case, refeeds may be useful to the dieter. They are not meant to be all out binge fests though.

The following link has more information regarding refeeds:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark60.htm
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options

agreed .

has anyone ever looked into how long it actualy takes to get into this 'phantom' mode ?

This happened to me about 5 years ago, and it is the only way that I can explain what happened. I got to the point where I was consistently eating nothing for breakfast, crackers or something equally small for lunch and a small salad for dinner. I did this because on my original diet (not counting calories, doing the slimfast mealplan) I plateaued in weight loss and started cutting out food a bit at a time. I found a calorie counting web site and got some knowledge in my brain, and upped my calories from around 800 to 1650 and lost 40 pounds in four months.

I definitely wasn't 15% body fat, so I totally believe in starvation mode.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I had a time when I was able to train with a pt/nutrionist. The way he explained it to me when I was working on getting my eating under control was you should keep the body guessing. So if you're consistently eating a set amount of calories and your throw in some extras one day a week (or two... not back to back) the body will kick up your metabolism a bit to burn those calories off cause it doesn't know what they're there for and doesnt really want them. Then when you drop back down to normal its still ramped up a little so you get a few more burned out from it.. So enjoy your cheat day... although he also said instead of making it a day full of crap to eat, pick a specific meal or something that you want and that way if you have a craving or desire a something during the week you can do that again a specific meal as opposed to an entire day.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I recently plateaud at 1401b and was stuck at this weight for weeks and weeks. During this time i was sticking to my set calories, exercising almost every day and eating back most of my exercise calories. This last week, everything went out that window, diet and exercise and what happened.....i lost 4 1bs during that week eating pretty much what i wanted...how and why does that happen?

I was just about to comment the same exact thing! I was on a plateau and I hadnt lost any weight and for a few days I decided to take a break.. ate mcdonalds and everything. i weighed in at the end of the week and i had lost 5 pounds. i honestly think it was just shocking my system into losing agin. now i dont think you're talking about starvation mode as much as you are talking about a normal plateau. i think "cheat days" (although i dont call them that.. i usually call it upping my calorie days LOL) help keep your body guessing and will help you avoid plateaus. i rarely eat the same exact amount of calories every day. it always varies (some ppl call that zigzagging calories) you still have to keep working out during that time tho usually. otherwise it might not really work. just my two cents!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in this way of thinking. Denying yourself a particular treat until a 'cheat day' sounds almost like one of those restrictive diets that are not sustainable long term (think: Special K diet).

If you always have a particular day as a 'cheat day' that means you're not following the MFP program. In order to lose 1lb/week you will have to meet (not fall below or above) your calorie goals for each day. If you have a day each week where you go way overboard, and don't workout...this is not following the way the program works (for people to lose 1lb/week and to keep it off for good).

I don't consider allowing yourself foods you love and various things as a treat 'cheating'. This is the way traditional diets are set up and many traditional diet plans (or fad diets) are not sustainable long term. If you log every bite and every workout you'll do just fine. We all have days that we go over, but saving up for a cheat date and denying yourself a treat on the day that you want it is really going against the grain and against the way this program is set up.

Have the treat when you want it, just log it and make adjustments during the day to accommodate it.

That's why this is not a diet, it's a lifestyle.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    The starvation period for the Minnesota Starvation Study allowed approximately 1560 calories daily. Some of the physical results -
    Various changes reflected an overall slowing of the body's physiological processes. There were decreases in body temperature, heart rate, and respiration, as well as in basal metabolic rate (BMR). BMR is the amount of energy (Calories) that the body requires at rest (i.e., no physical activity) in order to carry out normal physiological processes. It accounts for about two-thirds of the body's total energy needs, with the remainder being used during physical activity. At the end of semistarvation, the men's BMRs had dropped by about 40% from normal. This drop, as well as other physical changes, reflects the body's extraordinary ability to adapt to low caloric intake by reducing its need for energy. One volunteer described that it was as if his "body flame [were] burning as low as possible to conserve precious fuel and still maintain life process" (Keys et al., 1950, p. 852). During rehabilitation, metabolism again speeded up, with those consuming the greatest number of Calories experiencing the largest rise in BMR. The group of volunteers who received a relatively small increment in Calories during rehabilitation (400 Calories more than during semistarvation) had no rise in BMR for the first 3 weeks. Consuming larger amounts of food caused a sharp increase in the energy burned through metabolic processes.

The changes in body fat and muscle in relation to overall body weight during semistarvation and rehabilitation are of considerable interest (see Figure 21-3). While weight declined about 25%, the percentage of body fat fell almost 70%, and muscle decreased about 40%. Upon refeeding, a greater proportion of the "new weight" was fat; in the eighth month of rehabilitation, the volunteers were at about 100% of their original body weight, but had approximately 140% of their original body fat! How did the men feel about their weight gain during rehabilitation?

Those subjects who gained the most weight became concerned about their increased sluggishness, general flabbiness, and the tendency of fat to accumulate in the abdomen and buttocks. (Keys et al., 1950, p. 828)

There must be more recent studies, has anyone checked PubMed's abstracts? :smile:
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    But do cheat days also help keep your body from settling into the dreaded starvation mode? Obviously to lose weight you have to use more calories than you consume, and doing this to extreme or for long periods of time can lead to your body either adjusting to the set intake or holding on to the fat it already has because it must have been a hard winter. So it makes sense to me that a cheat day lets your body know that yes food is aplenty and it's okay to let go of those fat reserves. Does anyone know of any research that may back up this train of thought, or am I just trying to revel in my cheat days a little too much?

Cheat days do help normalize your metabolic hormones, but not nearly as effectively as maintaining healthy habits and simply eating a lot of starchy, but healthy carbs for a day.

To put it in very general terms, a planned cheat day is more for psychological reasons. A carbohydrate refeeding day is to help stave off starvation mode or normalize your metabolic hormonal levels.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Sorry, didn't answer the question. :embarassed:

I don't schedule or plan higher calorie days but usually end up having a couple each week.