Any other emotional/stress eaters? I'm going through hard ti

Options
my mom was recently diagnosed with lung disease.
my grandma's Alzheimer's is taking a turn for the worse. she just spent over a week in the hospital.
I lost my job and we're living on bare minimums.

I feel so stressed sometimes and food seems to comfort me.
I don't eat it, but I find myself craving it indefinitely.

anyone else like this? how to curb/prevent it?

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I am the complete opposite. So many things going on, i.e. grandfather is on his deathbed (cancer), home life not so great and am really down. Food makes me nauseous to think about or try to force down. I am definitely trying to eat, but food does not seem to agree with me right now. :sick: (I pray that things get better for your grandmother and your job situation).
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm always tempted to overeat when I'm stressed out. When my Sailor goes on duty, I find myself CRAVING carbs and chocolate. But I know it's because I'm going through adjustment stress (which never really goes away) and a bit of saddness thrown in.

I actually became a binge eater during an unhealthy relationship, so I had to make some BIG changes to END that stress (end the relationship) and move on with my life. So I know what can happen if I give in.

It's awesome that you aren't 'stuffing" your emotions. Everything you're feeling, the frustration, the grief, the anger, the sadness - it's ALL normal! Do you have a friend you can talk to (I suggest daily) to help you get through these tough times?

Losing loved ones is SO hard. Is there a relaxing activity you can do to help you cope w/ the stress? Yoga? meditation? Journaling your emotions? Maybe escape into a few good books and make the time you have with those you love the best it can possibly be?

When I was getting divorced, going through a foreclosure, and had no where to move to, I found it helpful to just focus on the day ahead of me. (Divorce and grieving a death have A LOT in common.) I started finding at least 3 things to be truly grateful for everyday. I made sure I spent time outside (usually in the community jacuzzi) with a good book. I aimed for at least an hour. I focused on the things that give me hope and make me feel inspired. Yes, I was still deeply sad, and I had moments when I broke down and sobbed for a while, and found free things I could go do. It actually got me more involved in the community, which lead to someone giving me a lead on a house, and other things as well.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm right there in the stress-eating boat with you. My dad has stage IV lung cancer, I'm burning through loads of vacation time to take him to appts. so my mom doesn't have to take unpaid days off, I've got a stressful job (I'm an attorney and 2 years ago, we went from having 6 attorneys to 2 in my office), and 2 young kids.

There are a million strategies to avoid stress-eating, but the only one that matters is the one that works for you:

*more exercise
    *drink water instead of eating
    *take a walk
    *go shopping
    *take a bubble bath
    *take up a hobby to keep you busy
    *use aromatherapy etc.

I haven't found a perfect solution all the time, but pre-journalling my food for the day sometimes helps, and exercise/water sometimes help.

Sometimes just keeping healthy snacks accessible helps too (baby carrots, fruit, 100 cal. packs), but not always.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hello...Sorry to hear about all the terrible things happening in your life right now...I am an emotional eater, too and I think about food constantly...I carry a jug of water with me wherever I go...That way, I take a swig instead of heading for the cupboards...You can add me if you like, and I will help to give you support...Good luck on your journey... :flowerforyou:
  • kaleighmorgan
    Options
    You're definitely preaching to the choir. One of my grandmothers actually passed away a couple of months ago and the other is also slipping down the steep Alzheimer's slope and I am the QUEEN of the eat-to-feel-better-to-feel-worse kingdom. Needless to say, I gained 10 lbs in the two weeks after my granny passed away (who knew that when you lose a loved one you gain weight? Thanks to all the folks who sent delicious desserts to this emotional eater!), so I understand where you're coming from. Normally I subscribe to the don't-feel-deprived-and-later-cave-and-eat-two-cookies-when-you-could-just-eat-one-and-get-it-over-with ideal, but sometimes "it's easier to have none than it is to have some." I guess just try and stay strong, know that you're not alone but also that that's not an excuse. Stress eating is an emotional response to dealing with what you would otherwise believe to be "intolerable" emotions. You're better off just letting loose, bawling your eyes out, and going to sleep. When you wake up in the morning you'll realize that you've survived what would otherwise seem to be an impossible situation and you'll feel maybe slightly better. Then you do the same thing over again, and over again, and every day you'll prove to yourself just how strong you are and that you CAN actually tolerate those intolerable stresses and sadness. When you stop distracting yourself from your emotions, your emotional eating will likely subside.

A reading suggestion? "Women, Food, and God" by Geneen Roth. It's definitely helped me.
  • fairfieldbeach
    fairfieldbeach Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    you're not alone, sweetie. Hope things get better--hang in there and know that your MFP buddies support you!
  • jcs1987
    jcs1987 Posts: 10
    Options
    I make sure I dont keep unhealthy stuff where is is easy to access (like at home) and when a craving wont go away I go for a short nap or leave the house for a walk. It's not much but I hope it helps. Good luck and I hope things start looking up for you soon :)
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    i am right there with you. to the point where it became a bit of an obsession.... had to do something about it so i looked into anti-anxiety/depression options. hope you find relief soon....
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You are going through some very tough times, and I am sorry about that. I lost my mom and my best friend within hours of each other in January, and I understand your feelings about food bringing comfort.

What has helped me (somewhat) is asking myself "is food going to fix this?" Most of the time the answer is no. So what do I do? I go for a walk-in the neighborhood, at the mall where ever I can find a place. And I make sure to drink lots of water. I just started on MFP two months ago (still having loss issues) and these things help when I feel out of control.

Sad to say that food won't fix your issues either. But how much assistance can you be to your Mom and Grandmother if you don't take care of yourself?

You are doing a great job so far. Those cravings and need for comfort will be there. But instead of eating, what about asking for a hug? It will give you the love, support and comfort you need as you go through this difficult time. Good luck to you!
  • swall0810
    swall0810 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am normally a stress eater, however I went to the health food store and bought something called Relora and it helps TONS. Good luck and hope things get better for you!!!
  • ireney926
    ireney926 Posts: 19
    Options
    There are a million strategies to avoid stress-eating, but the only one that matters is the one that works for you:

*more exercise
    *drink water instead of eating
    *take a walk
    *go shopping
    *take a bubble bath
    *take up a hobby to keep you busy
    *use aromatherapy etc.

I also recommend waiting 10 - 20 minutes before reaching for that snack. I am an emotional eater and it isn't easy. I hoep something works for you!
  • ccmulder5
    ccmulder5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i lost my brother to AIDS coming up on 3 years ago (4 days before his 48th birthday) and went into a severe depression..(i had to takea 3 month leave of absence due to my inability to function) all i wanted to do was eat. (i've always been an emotional / stress eater) i felt there was nothing that would pull me out of it. i had gone for counseling.. medications.. support groups.. i just felt like nobody understood.. then one day i was looking online researching the disease.. and came across a local non-profit organization that works toward the Prevention of HIV and AIDS.. i went there looking for personal answers to many questions that i had and ended up becoming a volunteer there.. it was the best medicine for me. i made many wonderful (now lifelong) friends that truly understood what i was going through and helped me to understand what my brother went through as well.. i didn't know it then, but getting out into the community, reaching out to those with a greater need than my own, making a difference in someones life.. gave me a new outlook on life.. i can't change what happened with my brother, but i CAN help others to not make the same mistakes.. i had to take the focus off of me.

i don't know if this has been helpful or not.. (i tend to go off on tangents occassionally!!) but, sometimes really understanding what others are going through helps you gain a better perspective on your own life..
    you are in my prayers.