Could use some extra support

Options
I've been on this site for months, but I'm not very active in the forum side of things. So far I've lost 47 pounds, and I've got about 60 left to go to reach a non-overweight weight. I'm 56 with a teenage daughter and SW engineer husband, several pets, etc. I've been on the Medifast eating plan since February - and doing fine on it - however now that I've lost quite a bit of weight it's even harder to stay focused and motivated. I'm not so debilitated by the extra weight now as I can at least walk without getting winded, sit in normal chairs comfortably, etc. I need to make some short term goals and get more involved with other people who are also trying to stick to their plans. My goal is to once and for all lose and maintain my weight loss.

At the beginning of this journey I considered weight loss surgery and even decided I would do that.. because I was just feeling really hopeless about ever being able to lose 100 pounds and keep it off. Like many here the weight has gone down a few times and then back up plus more. By the time I got an appointment with the surgery program I ran into a friend who had lost 70 pounds on Medifast (Take Shape for Life Program) and she was now a coach in it.. so I decided to give that another try. Three years or so ago I had lost 40 pounds on Medifast but gained it back subsequently when I got depressed.

My insurance requires 6 months of supervised weight loss prior to surgery, and I've been meeting with the weight loss surgery program monthly. Next month will be my last required check in, and then I should be approved for surgery. However now that I've been successful losing nearly 50 pounds again.. and still planning to stick with this until I lose it all.. I've decided not to do the surgery. I had originally planned to do bypass.. then decided to just do a lap band.. and now I'm thinking I won't do any and will just try really super hard to lose it all and commit to the lifestyle changes necessary to keep it off. I'd have to do that even with the surgery. This is a difficult decision because the ease with which I gained the weight in the past is so scary to me and the level of discomfort and humiliation I felt at my highest weight.. the hopelessness.

Let me say right now that I totally 1000% support people in whatever steps they take to deal with their weight. Balanced dieting, surgery, formal programs, therapy, whatever works for you is right for you. I'm not in any way saying that surgery isn't necessary for many.. just that I think I should give this one more try on my own first. The surgery program I was considering still recommends that I do the band and they sincerely feel that's my best chance for long term maintenance of the loss. My general doctor, however (who has also recently lost 50 pounds through diet and exercise) said no -- that I should try on my own.. sooo that's my plan. I was quite worried about the potential side effects of the surgery also.. so that has gone into my thinking.

I realize I'm rambling here.. but perhaps some people can relate. Currently my biggest challenges are just staying as much on my program as I can.. and doing the exercise I need to to keep losing steadily and build fitness for the future. I have had some shoulder/neck muscle pain to deal with the past few months so I'm seeing a physical therapist for that..and I belong to a gym and have an incline trainer and dogs to walk.

I check in here every day and try to keep up with diet and exercise log. Add me if you want to be friends. I'd like to support some other people as well as get some additional support and accountability here myself.

Replies

• spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I can't relate personally as I have never got as far as considering surgery, but I just wanted to say well done for deciding to have a go at losing it yourself first.

It really is so much better, and I think as long as you have no serious medical condition, anybody is capable of losing the weight themselves. You are setting a great example for all people considering surgery, and you've had such an amazing loss already! :D

I agree surgery is necessary for some people but I think there are a lot of people out there having it who wouldn't need it if they truly put their minds to losing the weight themselves.

Good luck to you, I really hope it works out :)
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. This is a journey well worth taken.
    S.W 350 highest weight 369
    C.W 220
    G. W. 150
    I am in it for the long haul.
    I wish you well.
  • fine4now
    fine4now Posts: 84
    Options
    Kathie, Congrats on the 50 lbs! That proves to you you can do it! I am here if you need some one to chat with. I too considered surgery, but My daughter said mom you can do this and I will help. She is studying to be a Personal trainer and has started a work out group for family and friends. I love it! I never liked exercising until now. I trully think she is saving my life. I keep up my food log every day and she checks it weekly. I mean really grades it. lol. Cirles in red what I shouldn't have and writes in other options. I really feel this time is going to work for me. We all need support, some one that will encourage us and to tell us to stop whining and get off our *kitten* and do what need to be done.lol. Add me if you would like to. I look forward to taking this journey together.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Hi there, it sounds from your post that you are doing a really fantastic job already with your weightloss :happy: I am 51 and it is natural that your metabolism slows as you get older, and it gets just that little bit harder to lose weight. So, if I was you I would be so, so proud of myself!
    Maybe, put the surgery on hold for a little while longer. There is always a big risk with surgery for anybody and if you can avoid it then do so. I considered liposuction and a tummy tuck a few years back, and the surgeon told me to lose weight first for best results. Since then I have lost 11 lbs (not as good as you, for sure!) But I have totally changed my thinking now and realise that surgery is not the answer, it is a simple fact of changing eating habits and adding exercise. Although, I am not a gym fan :mad: I have a little dog and we walk 3 x 30mins each day and I enjoy it and that is what is important, to me anyways.
    Keep going with your plan and MFP, you may stray from the path some days, but there is always the next day.
    It sounds like you are doing everything just right.
    Keep going hun x
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    All I can say is keep doing what you're doing :) I've been slightly overweight for a while, so I can't relate to needing weight loss surgery. However, in my opinion, if you can avoid the surgery, it's probably best that you do. Any surgery is invasive at best and if you've been this successful so far without it, you can continue to be successful in the future. Don't allow that self-doubt to come creeping in now! There's no reason to start second guessing your chances at success NOW when you have all the proof you'll ever need that you're more than capable of doing what you put your mind to.

I've had my own problems with being consistent and staying on task when it comes to working out and eating right, but I always keep trying, even when I fail miserably one day. I've found that I do better when I set goals other than just weight loss. I mean, yeah, the reason I'm doing all of this is certainly to lose weight, but I feel that you have to have stronger and more long-term motivations to make the diet and exercising an actual lifestyle change. For me, it's been running. I got into running with my husband and best-friend and once I could do it a little better I loved it. I found an awesome running trail when I was in school and would run all the time. Now I challenge myself to up my mileage and run faster. Maybe running isn't for you, but there's a lot more out there than running. Maybe you could try to do more power-walking when you're walking the dogs and time yourself over a distance and see if you can improve your time. Whatever works for you, lady!

You've got support here!!!!!! Good luck and remember you can do anything you put your mind to, including keeping off the weight you've already worked SO HARD to lose :flowerforyou:
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    i too considered surgery at my heighest weight, but i am here to tell you that YOU can do this! YOU do not need surgery... and many people that I know have gained back their weight even after the cost and medical issues of sugery... i know several others who have done a liquid diet and also gained it back. You are doing this the "right" way... healthfully and slowly... this allows you to adjust for a LIFETIME of healthy choices. the day i realized that this was forever.... was a monumental day for me. this is not a diet, this is for life. if we don't learn how to do this for ourselves, we will never keep our success.
  • kathieh1
    kathieh1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the support messages. Years ago - when I was about 30 - I worked myself up to being able to run 3 miles. I think if the culture had been to do 5K's and things I would have been doing that. RIght now I'm being hesitant on running since I worry that I'll get an injury or strain my knees or something - but your ideas about challenging myself with some fitness goals are very good suggestions. I'll give that some thought. I did meet one goal I had - we visited my mom in Wisconsin and I wanted to be able to walk to the top of the bluff at Devil's Lake park. It's not super hard -- but is an uphill 1.5 mile or so hike.. and I did it a few weeks ago without being out of breath. Last weekend I hiked a local trail with my husband that I hadn't done in several years - about 3 miles with a lot of uphill (and down).. so my fitness level has definitely improved. Six months ago I was having chest and arm pains with even short walks.. So perhaps that's where I need to focus even more - on exercise and fitness goals.

I'm also planning to start writing in my journal a little more often and try to keep track of the emotional side of things..

Thanks again for the ideas and votes of confidence.