Resting Heart rate jumped up 10bpm in a month

dan76n
dan76n Posts: 23
edited 7:39AM in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,
I have recently noticed my resting heart rate go up from 49bpm to 59bpm in the space of a month.
I have started to add a bit more weight training to my schedule and slightly decreased my cardio but am still running 3 times a week.
Im not concerned with how high my heart rate is but more the dramatic change in such a short time. Add to this my blood pressure sits around 145/75 which my doctor is not concerned with due to my slightly low haemoglobin levels.
Should I be concerned?

Replies

• suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but as I understand it, any rise in the heart rate - higher than expected, points to you being tired - and that includes the heart. Are you getting enough rest? Are you eating enough protein - especially as you've upped your strength training? I would say give yourself a day of total rest and then measure your resting heart rate again and see if there's any noticeable difference? If there is then you need to be giving yourself more regular rest than you have been, but also take a look at how much (and what quality) protein you're giving yourself (have you thought of using a good quality protein shake right after training? It can help with recovery times). Of course, it goes without saying, check with your doctor further if you are still concerned.
This discussion has been closed.