Empty stomach cardio.

Options
This is a blog post I ran across. Interesting. I've never done this and I guess from reading it's not recommended.

Over the weekend I hit the gym with my buddy Mikey for a morning cardio workout.

Now, I say “cardio”, but really it was a metabolic resistance training session.

If you’re unfamiliar with the term, the simple definition for metabolic resistance training is “cardio with weights”. We’ll cover this more in detail in another update so as not to get too off topic.

So we’re about 10 minutes into the workout and Mikey looks like he’s in pretty bad shape (despite being in really GOOD shape). So I asked him what the deal was.

“I didn’t eat anything for breakfast.”

Me: Why the heck not?

“I thought that’s what you’re supposed to do if you want to burn the most fat from your morning workouts.”

Uh oh.

Perhaps you’re still believing this old myth just like good ol’ Mikey, so allow me to take a moment to dispel it.

The theory behind empty stomach is cardio is simple: supposedly, by doing cardio on a empty stomach, you tap directly into fat stores since glycogen (carbohydrate) stores are somewhat depleted after an overnight fast.

Seems to make sense, but research has proven this to be wrong.

Several studies have shown no difference in substrate utilization (glycogen vs. fat) for those working out on an empty stomach vs. those who eat a small meal prior to their morning workouts.

In fact, one study showed the exact opposite—those who had a small meal first burned more calories and more fat than the empty stomach group.

How can this be?

The reason is rather simple if you think about it. I was kicking butt and taking names with my workout, and Mikey was barely able to get through his. Even if not eating beforehand allowed you to burn more fat (which it doesn’t), the major trade off is performance.

And why does performance matter? Well, if you can’t perform at an optimal level and put forth maximal effort, then you are not going to be burning an optimal amount of calories–period.

The truth is, empty stomach cardio is an outdated philosophy whose theory was proven incorrect by research. Still, there are plenty of people who hold on to the theory despite the available research. Perhaps they’re not aware of it, perhaps they just go by what the fitness and bodybuilding magazines tell them (bad idea); I’m not sure.

Whatever the reason, popular philosophy doesn’t always mean correct philosophy, and this is one such instance.

So I’ll leave you with some practical recommendations:

At the very minimum, have a couple scoops of whey before any morning “cardio” workout.

That said, if it’s still negatively affecting your performance, you need to go a bit further. The meal doesn’t have to be large, but it should contain some complex carbs (oatmeal, etc) along with a small serving of protein.

Give it about a half hour to begin digesting and then hit your workout.

Better performance = more calories burned = more fat loss = improved cardiovascular functioning = even better performance = even more calories burned = even more fat loss.

Don’t be like my friend Mikey and have a crappy workout because you didn’t eat. As I shared with you, the research shows that’s not going to make a difference anyway. Instead, eat your Wheaties (figuratively speaking) and then dominate your workout!

Replies

• hellhammer
    hellhammer Posts: 45
    Options
    and also it has the same effect as running an engine without oil, kidney failure can happen really fast
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I was under the impression that working out before eating would go straight to burning fat, too! I'm glad I'm wrong....I like eating beforehand!
  • janiecorona
    janiecorona Posts: 248
    Options
    That does make a lot of sense. I've been trying to teach myself that food is fuel for the body. If you don't add fuel, your body cannot perform to efficiency during a workout.
  • mommyJto3
    mommyJto3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    this is why i can never work out at 5am! i have no fuel or food whatsoever in my body and not only am i starving, but i can barely workout!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I always eat before my workouts. :) Something small and with protein. Yogurt works well. If it is a weekend I always make sure to eat breakfast before my 10am class. :)
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Good info!

However, have you ever found that if you eat just before intense cardio that you end up feeling blah, like you want to throw up and nauseous? This happens to me some. I really have to follow the "Kids, no swimming for 30 minutes after lunch" policy when it comes to working out. I either need to give my body time to digest my snack/meal before working out or just wait and eat after the workout.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree that it makes no difference in the calorie burn, but I often workout on an empty stomach and have for decades. I prefer to not have my stomach growling but my schedule doesn't allow a lot of wiggle room so if it's time to workout and my tummy is growling, I work out. Currently I'm doing Zumba, but for about 2.5 years I rolled out of the bed and ran 3 miles with nothing before except a glass of water. I've also done an eliptical and treadmill. It's never really been a problem for me. Doing cardio with a "full" feeling is a big problem though because I feel too lethargic and can't get into it.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If I do a morning workout without time to eat first, I bring a protein shake...at least I'm getting something good during the workout!
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Oh man! I always thought that this was true! I have been doing it for ages (mostly because I want to get the exercise out of the way but am not hungry first thing in the morning). I know better now!
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    Good info!

However, have you ever found that if you eat just before intense cardio that you end up feeling blah, like you want to throw up and nauseous? This happens to me some. I really have to follow the "Kids, no swimming for 30 minutes after lunch" policy when it comes to working out. I either need to give my body time to digest my snack/meal before working out or just wait and eat after the workout.

This happens to me. That's why I don't eat too much before I workout. I have a snack around 4pm and then workout at 6. On the weekends, I workout before breakfast. The workout just won't happen if I don't do it first thing. I find that my performance is better in the morning on an empty stomach. I workout at home, but if I was taking a class a few hours after getting up, then I would eat something.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    27strange, same for me too...........I wanted to throw up every time I would eat before my cardio, which is at 6 in the morning, I go to the gym that early, and I cant eat that early

I have been doing cardio for 11 months , and so far its been OK..........Again, this applies to me, everyones different, but I just cant eat at 6 in the am.................Lloyd
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    While there isn't anything wrong with eating breakfast before training, or having a meal before training...

There isn't anything bad about training fasted either. Alot of athletes, bodybuilders, and trainers go to the gym and do cardio and/or weight training FASTED.

In fact, one proven method is widely known and is called Intermittent Fasting. There are different methods to this madness but to sum up, I'll give you an example of what I do every day.

I fast for 16 hours a day between the hours of 8pm to 12 noon the following day. Then I have a feeding window between 12 noon to 8pm. Works great, is proven to work effectively, and many people do it. In fact, many people incorporate CARB CYCLING to coincide with Intermittent Fasting and have had HUGE success with it.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Whenever I do cardio in the early morning, I don't eat beforehand. This is only because I don't know how to eat and not get cramps! I need an hour between eating and cardio, and no way am I waking up THAT early! :laugh:

So far, I'm never miserable or hungry, and I always eat right afterwards.
  • greatdragon
    Options
    Research is still up in the air on the affect one way or the other, in truth do what feels right to you.

and just to prove my point
    http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/diet-news-should-you-skip-breakfast-after-all-2443384

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/why-you-should-be-skipping-breakfast-the-secrets-of-intermittent-fasting/'

to pages not written by me that come to the conclusion that skipping breakfast is an important part of weight loss
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    For some reason, I'll hop out of bed for my morning runs, and run eight miles without eating anything without a problem. I take off around 5:45 in the morning. Don't get me wrong, I'm not refuting this article. On the weekend, I usually run later in the morning like nine or ten, and it's a whole different ball game. If I don't eat anything before the weekend runs, I might end up face down in the grass somewhere. I, also, teach aerobics, and I just tore through a Snicker's because I looked at my calories, and they were a little shallow today. If I had taught aerobics without choking down that sugary meal, I'll probably look like crap halfway through the class. And when I'm teaching aerobics, it's not grandma's group fitness class. It's hardcore military.
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    Funny, I know a guy named Mikey... he's a firefighter here in AZ. He believes that you work out first thing without eating.
    I told him it was not healthy, but he said just what the other Mikey said.

I always eat a little something before I work out because I am better able to dig deeper and bring it to a work out if I have the energy to fuel my body.

Thanks for posting this. Always good to know I am not a complete moron!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! This is exactly what I needed to know.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,662 Member
    Options
    The AMERICAN JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NUTRITION in 2002 completed a study showing that blood/ insulin is lowest in the morning. This makes it a perfect time to do a brief low intensity cardio workout since consuming food elevates insulin and this protects the body's fat stores.
    Key is the cardio is no more than 30 minutes and no higher than 65% of your max heart rate. This would equate to about a moderately fast walk and you're breathing would only be increased slightly.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    saving this post for later.
  • nmclaurin
    nmclaurin Posts: 43
    Options
    I eat a banana.