Hula Hooping

Options
I plan to start hula hooping with a heavy but non-weighted hula hoop. How should I go about logging the calories into MFP?

I've heard you can burn up to 100 calories for every ten minutes of hooping but that seems like A LOT- Does anyone have any more info?

What are your unique ways to get your exercise in?

Replies

• sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Sounds like way more fun than my bike!
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options

Right? I used to use a weighted hoop at the gym and it's just wayyyyy more fun. I get bored so easily with other stuff!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/89945-calculate-calories-burned-hula-hoop/

the 10c/min is true if you put that much effort into it AND you're a bit chunky in the first place.

Step 1

Determine your exercise intensity. A low intensity in which you are moving but not working hard has a MET equivalent of 3.0. This may be the case when you are a beginner still learning the technique. A moderate intensity requires more effort, which will likely result in an increased breathing rate and has a MET equivalent of 6.0. This would be the case with a person who has been hooping for awhile and is able to hula hoop for a decent amount of time without stopping. If you are in between these two abilities, use a MET level of 4.0 or 5.0, depending on what end of the spectrum you are on.
    Step 2

Get an exact measure of body weight and convert it to kilograms. Divide your weight in pounds by 2.2 to get your weight in kilograms. For example, a 140-lb. person weighs 63.64kg (140/2.2 = 63.64).
    Step 3

Use the following equation based on the MET level of activity to calculate the number of calories burned per minute of hula hooping:

(METs x 3.5 x body weight in kg)/200 = calories/minute

For example, a 64kg person hula hooping at a moderately high intensity would burn:

(6 x 3.5 x 64)/200 = 6.72 calories/minute.
    Step 4

Calculate the calories burned during your hula hooping session by multiplying the number of calories per minute by the number of minutes in your session.

For example, if the above person hula hooped for 30 minutes, then he would burn 202 calories (6.72 calories/minute x 30 min = 202 calories).

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/89945-calculate-calories-burned-hula-hoop/#ixzz1T9OObXxr
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how to log it, but I cannot WAIT until the weather cools off and the mosquitoes die out - then my hoop and I are going to reacquaint ourselves!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    i found my calorie burn from my hrm and the suggest calorie burn listed under wii: hula hoop surprisingly close!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I love hooping! check out hoopnotica.com for some great hooping DVDs. It's a super great core workout!
  • chubswonky
    Options
    i found my calorie burn from my hrm and the suggest calorie burn listed under wii: hula hoop surprisingly close!

Ah! Awesome to know! I saw the WII Hula Hoop on there, so I'll probably just use that! Thanks! :)
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna order on on-line I cant wait
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    i dunno...
    i did 30min of Hula Hooping with a weighted HH and my HRM logged my calorie burn as 112 calories.
    needless to say i did not do that one again!!!
  • chubswonky
    Options
    i dunno...
    i did 30min of Hula Hooping with a weighted HH and my HRM logged my calorie burn as 112 calories.

Hmmm...you do weigh a lot less than I do though, so maybe that has something to do with it?
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    i dunno...

Hmmm...you do weigh a lot less than I do though, so maybe that has something to do with it?

i dont know what you weigh, from your pic u look great :wink:
    but yes, if i weigh less i would burn less.

If its a choice of HH or nothing, definitely pick up a hoop.
    but straight up hooping (for me atleast) did not get my heart rate up. (which is how u maximize your caloric burn)

maybe alternate 2 min of HH to 1 min of jumping rope.
    that aughta get your heart pumping!
  • kayemme
    Options
    i dunno...

you probably didn't go fast enough. lighter hoops require you to move your body faster. weighted hula hoops are great for learning on and for muscle toning (you maybe don't burn as many calories, but you're using muscles all over your core).. but more than that, it's just fun. fun, fun, fun!!
  • kayemme
    Options

Right? I used to use a weighted hoop at the gym and it's just wayyyyy more fun. I get bored so easily with other stuff!

i use my bike AND i hoop... tomorrow i start tap dance classes. anything i can do to move my body means i don't have to "diet" while still losing weight, and that makes me very, very happy.
  • 9Sunflower
    Options
    I HoolaHoop In The House. And Outside. I Have No Willpower To Diet If I'm Not Exercising So I Must Not Let Anything Stop me.