Best filling low calorie snacks?

Options
Just starting my weight loss life style change and wondering what kinds of things to buy for a snack... I am a salty snack person, I like my chips, crackers, and occasional ice cream... Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    My favorites:

POPCHIPS! 22 chips for 120 calories and they're delicious! Haven't found a flavor I don't like.
    Plain Sabra hummus has about 70 calories for two tablespoons- I like to eat it with fresh veggies- it's very filling
    POPCORN! Newman's Own has a no-salt added popcorn that is 100 calories for around 3 cups. I add "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray and a little sea salt
    If you like popcorn- Indiana Brand Kettle Corn is also really great. 130 calories for 2.5 cups- great for salty/sweet snack!

If you want something really filling, Arnold's 100 Calorie sandwich thins with a little Better'n Butter is great for around 150 calories :)
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    lol (can you tell I love my snacks)

also: Vitatops Velvety Chocolate muffins! 90 calories and sososososos delicious and chocolately. They're in the frozen food aisle! Sometimes I'll add a sugar free chocolate pudding or a little fat free cool whip with a strawberry or two
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I just had sweet &spicy tuna with bread & butter pickles. It was quite yummy!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/50-best-snack-foods-america?cm_mmc=Yahoo-_-ETNT-_-20_Habits_That_Make_You_Fat-_-50_Best_Snacks

I just read this, has some good ideas.

If you like salt, I would recomend tracking it. I LOVE it and had no idea how much I was eating. It will make you hold on to water like crazy!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    almonds! lots of protein and delicious!! (i have been eating way more than i should lately though!!!)
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Air popped popcorn, cucumber and laughing cow cheese, carrot sticks and celery and hummus.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If you like ice cream, try a plain frozen banana. You can put it in a blender if you want and add vanilla extract, unsweetened cocoa powder, or even protein powder. Use the plain banana as a starting point and customize it for a creamy, frozen sweet.
  • pambaldwin
    pambaldwin Posts: 18
    Options
    Try Skinny Cow Products. I am a chips fan myself and can limit my chips to just a 1/4 oz. Just to get the flavor and taste in my mouth. Also, I drink home made smoothies with low-fat vanilla yogart, banana and another fruit and lots of ice. Blend in the blender.
  • ellie403
    ellie403 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    At night I cave for ice cream....and I love the skinny cow ice cream sandwhiches for 140 calories. Also they have fiber!

The trainer at my gym suggested chocolate mousse - by adding a scoop of chocolate protein powder and plain greek yogurt....but I would never eat that. Sounds horrible. I like to make a chocolate shake with a few ice cubes, vanilla almond milk (unsweetened) and chocolate protein powder. You'd be surprised how good it is. - around 35 calories for the almond milk and between 120 and 140 for powder. Plus you get all that protein.

Salty - I really like the pop chips mentioned here, and orville redenbacker's kettle corn in the 100 calorie packs. Soy nuts are really good - low fat and high protein nut. I get roasted and salted.
  • LMorrison1009
    LMorrison1009 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Special K crackers are great. You get like 24 I think for 120 calories! And I totally agree with the hummus and veggies ideas. It's one of my favorites, I even have it for lunch sometimes. Okay... A LOT! :-) Also, salsa with baked tortilla chips. (I sometimes cut up a whole wheat pita, and toast it in the toaster oven until it's crispy.) or, a banana or apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter. Also, I really like rice cakes, and corn cakes. The caramel are my favorite, because I have a sweet tooth, but the sour cream and onion ones are really good too. It's true, though, that salt will keep you from losing weight, so try to keep an eye on your sodium.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    skinny pop popcorn-39 cals per cup and low sodium. i also eat the popchips and special k crackers, I can usually only eat half of a serving to satisfy me. i agree I would rather have crunch than sweet. I eat a lot of vegetables that I didn't think i would like, carrots, celery, pepper strips, zuc and squash strips. also dry cereal if you are looking for crunchy.
  • MelissaJ20
    MelissaJ20 Posts: 46
    Options
    Almonds, Dove Miniatures Dark Chocolate (after dinner treat/ 2 for 84 cal.), 100 cal popcorn, apple slices with organic peanut butter are just some of my favs.
  • chapagonzo
    chapagonzo Posts: 53
    Options
    The Vitalicious items are awesome....plus they are loaded with fiber and relatively low cal. They can also curb your sweet tooth. They can be commonly found at Target. I also like just a great piece of fruit.
  • be_kris
    be_kris Posts: 47
    Options
    Air popped popcorn is extrememly low in calories, about 5 cups is 120 cals...
  • anelahm
    anelahm Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    bump. nomnomnom!
  • doodleheaddee
    Options
    Awesome gang!! Can't wait to go shopping... :D