Nook or Kindle?

Options
TheMaidOfAstolat
TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
I need some help deciding on which one. The guy I'm dating has a birthday coming up and I want to surprise him with one...

Give me your take on either one...pros and cons...ect.

Replies

• TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i have the nook color & LOVE it. i like that it has a built in backlight whereas the kindle you need to buy a light to hook onto it like an old school book light. i do suggest the older or brand new touch nook over the color because the battery should last longer (according to the reviews), but i like my color & how it's basically a touchpad computer as well. i can log onto facebook or go online & it now has apps like my iphone (including angry birds) but i haven't downloaded any yet. i also like that if anything is wrong with your nook or you need help with something, you can just bring it straight to b&n whereas a kindle you'd have to mail it in to amazon to get it serviced. ♥
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I have a kindle, I have no cons with it, they're fantastic and given the option to do it again I'd buy a kindle again.
  • henney16
    henney16 Posts: 288
    Options
    I bought my wife the NOOK Color and she loves it. Likes the colored screen and the built in WIFI so she can surf the web if I'm hogging the Laptop! Don't know much about the Kindle
  • kluver42
    kluver42 Posts: 24
    Options
    If they are a hard core reader, buy the original Nook or the updated touch screen version (not the Nook Color) and here is why:
    - longer battery life (the touch screen version can last up to 2 MONTHS on one charge!
    -non-glare
    -nook can open more files than kindle can (including pdf)

Nook all the way :)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I have a nook (first generation). I picked it over the Kindle for a couple of reasons (and I don't know if Kindle has changed or not) but at the time:

removable battery, expandable memory, ability to get books from the library (and google free books).

I think that overall 99% of people would be happy with either option. I would NOT choose something like the NookColor given the option now though because I read probably 2 hours a day on it and the backlit part then causes eye strain (just like a computer or ipad).
  • sarahrobin
    sarahrobin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If they are a hard core reader, buy the original Nook or the updated touch screen version (not the Nook Color) and here is why:
    - longer battery life (the touch screen version can last up to 2 MONTHS on one charge!
    -non-glare
    -nook can open more files than kindle can (including pdf)

Nook all the way :)

Totally agree with this! I researched them a lot before I finally decided to get the Nook. I love to read and I did not want the glare of the Nook Color. Also, it was heavier than I would have preferred. The Kindle is good but with the Nook, I can get digital books from the library. I'm not sure if the Kindle does that now or not. That was a huge selling point for me! I absolutely love my Nook!
  • bjlovesjb
    bjlovesjb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the nook color and I LOVE it!
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I got my BF the original Nook with 3G wifi and he freaking loves that thing. It was probably the best gift I've ever given him and, judging by the fact that he uses it every single day, I'd say that it's probably the best gift he's ever received (other than his children).
  • jenwin81
    jenwin81 Posts: 7
    Options
    I have the KINDLE and I love it!! I read it all the time!! Best thing I have ever bought!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I haven't ever researched them myself...I'm a hard core 'paper' person....well over 1000 novels in my home library...and I check out a dozen or so every week from the library, lol. He really wants an e-reader and I want to make sure I get the right one, lol.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    You read a lot then! We have somewhere near that many books too, go with the Nook, really :D

Now we only buy special editions, first editions or autographed books, or to complete a hard cover collection we've already started (Like George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series).
  • msbeavert
    msbeavert Posts: 75
    Options
    I upgraded from the original Nook to the Nook Color. Love them both. Only downside to the Nook Color though, it's difficult to read in bright sunlight; but you can buy the anti-glare screen like they have for computers and what not and that takes care of the problem. You also can't read it while wearing polarized sunglasses; the screen looks completely black. It took me a few minutes to figure out what the issue was last time I was at the pool, finally in frustration I took my glasses off to further inspect and realized, "oh crap, I can see it now!". lol

On the other hand, I know quite a few people with Kindle's and they're quite pleased. I think you're only limited by the color options when it comes to that device.

Good luck!
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    I love my nook.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Bump on this. I've been looking too. I do mostly audiobooks now.
    Can you load external files on either? I've got some epub books I read on the computer right now.
    And thanks, OP- you reminded me Jim Butcher's Ghost Story is out today!!!
  • msbeavert
    Options
    On my Nook I have pdf's and epubs that I've downloaded from other sites (mostly gutenburgproject.com); they all work fine. I even have a few word doc that I've put on there and it's fine. There's an app you can download for free that will help sort misc files and keep pages for you; the nook doesn't "bookmark" pages on anything other than their downloads, so it's a nice app to have. I can't recall what it's called off the top of my head though; I'll look later and post.
  • msbeavert
    Options
    Oh yeah....my husband downloaded the new Jim Butcher today! Last week we got the newest George RR Martin too. :)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I bought the 3rd generation Kindle (with 3G + WiFi) about 6 months ago. I really like it, and it's convenient for me because I travel a lot for work. I researched the Kindle and Nook at the time, but the Kindle got better tech reviews. I thought about upgrading to the Nook Color, but two problems with it:

1. backlit screen (yes, you can read in the dark, but backlit screens are horrible for your eyes, and this is the very reason that Kindle and older Nook versions are not backlit ... it's supposed to be the same as reading an actual book, not a computer screen)

2. no 3G. You can only use it in places where you have Internet access (wired or wireless). There are still enough places that don't have WiFi (or free WiFi) that it doesn't make sense to me to buy an e-reader that doesn't allow 3G network access. B&N says they opted not to include 3G because of the increased web capabilities of the Nook Color (it would cost more to include 3G for that, and they'd have to charge more to the user). My response to that is that I'm buying an e-reader to read books, not to surf the web. If that's what you want, get an iPad. It has e-reader software, too.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    On my Nook I have pdf's and epubs that I've downloaded from other sites (mostly gutenburgproject.com); they all work fine.
    That's where I get many of mine too-great resource!
    Oh yeah....my husband downloaded the new Jim Butcher today! Last week we got the newest George RR Martin too. :)
    I'm going to wait until Martin finishes the series. I started when the first book came out and the -years- between books killed me.

Instant download is one of the reasons I'd like a e-reader of some kind. I love my bookstore, and I'll still get hardcover/audio through them to support them (local store), but I have to wait 4 more hours before I can see if my copy is in. ...of course if it was I probably would have been skipping my 30DS to read so _maybe_ it's better.
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    I have the original Nook and the new Nook Color. I primarily use the Nook color as its been rooted and is now a fully functional Android tablet... I'm undecided on my old Nook. I love it for the non glare... but I don't use it a lot anymore. I may sell it one day and put that $$ towards a kayak, lol.

I have epubs and pdf's on both.. there is a great little program called callibre that I use to load them on the Nook's. The program is free and works with tons of ereaders
  • msbeavert
    Options
    @NotGoddess the instant download thing is what sold me. The nearest bookstores are each about 35 minutes away and one of those (Borders) just closed, so it wasn't simple for me to just go pick up a new book. We leave in an area where reading isn't exactly top priority for the community so any bookstores that have opened here quickly closed due to no foot traffic. It's quite sad. We read to our girls every night when we put them to bed and my eight year old has already read all of the Little House books and just about anything else she can get her hands on, so I've never understood people that don't like to read or say it doesn't interest them. How can it not? I pick up a good book and I'm in another world until I close it.