PROTEIN SHAKES WILL MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT!!

Options
Is what my husband told me when I was looking at the giant whey protein shake containers at Costco.

I looked at him and and asked "well, then what kind of shakes are used for meal replacement and help with the diet?"

He couldn't quite give me an answer. But, I am curious. Are there shakes intended for people to GAIN weight. I think he means body builders. I am not looking to gain weight, obviously, but I want a shake to change things up. I want a shake that basically tastes like I am drinking a chocolate milk shake (do those exist? LOL). I, don't want to replace all my meals because liquid diets are not for me but I am not big on breakfast or even an AM snack so I though that would be a good way for me to have something yummy... or even help curb my after noon munchies with a drink that is scrumptious.

So, if the protein shakes are meant to GAIN muscle weight... what kind of shake can I get? Anybody have suggestions or is my husband WAAAAYYY off :) Don't insult him. His intentions are good.

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Your husband is very mis-informed.

There ARE shakes that help you gain weight, but a simple protein shake is NOT one of them unless you are eating too many calories overall.

I have been using protein shakes nearly everyday on my weight loss journey, and so have many other people. And we are losing weight, not gaining it.
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've heard everyone mentioning shako logy so I plan on trying it!
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    I think in order for you to gain weight you would use them as a supplement rather than a replacement...couple with a special diet and work out weight programme...
    I ..personally.. prefer Slim fast..I HATE breakfast but can usually force a cold one of those down...Good Luck xx
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You can easily find a protein shake that has lower calories. GNC carries Optimum Whey protien. Vitamin Shoppe carries Lean Dessert protein by BSN. You can get something that has about 150 calories per scoop.

There are protein powders that are weight gainers, higher calories. Just read the labels.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Need to no has well I was looking at shakes today!!!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    unless you are drinking enought to go WAY over your daily caloires no they will not make you gain wht.

i like the body fortress chocolate from walmart, not alot of carbs, a personal concern for me. i make it with almond milk, yumm
    and sometimes as a treat i wil at a tablespoon of the flavored coffee creamers double yum , who needs steak 'n' shake????
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I don't think your husband is right. My protein shake is 120 calories, 4 carbs and 2 grams of fat, and 22 grams of protien. I've been having one for breakfast and one in the evening some nights, and I have been losing weight.

Maybe someone with a bit more knowlegde will add their experiences, but I think many people think they'll bulk you up because of the protein alone, and that's not how it works. And I suppose some protein shakes are quite sugary and unnatural, and I guess they could work against weight loss too.

Katie
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    They do make you gain but if that is the ONLY thing you are eating, no meals then you would lose weight because each shake if made with skim milk is about 260 calories I think.

I have drank the chocolate, peanut butter and strawberry whey ones that you can get at Wal Mart. They are okay. Kinda too sweet for me. The chocolate tastes alot like milk left over from a coco puffs cereal. The peanut butter tastes like milk left over from reese's peanut butter cereal.

I know when you get gastric bypass or any other WLS, you have to drink those shakes for a while before and after.
  • greensnow
    greensnow Posts: 73
    Options
    I use a protein shake called Sculpt. (http://www.sculptforwomen.com/whatis.html)
    I talked to the woman at the shop and it will NOT gain weight from it. I don't use it as meal replacement but as a snack and it really fills me up. I have the chocolate flavour lol!!

And basically for 2 scoops

94 Calories
    1.3g of fat
    149mg sodium
    2g of carbs
    0.8g sugar
    18.3 g protein

(that's just the powder without milk so you have to take that into account too)

Works for me! :)
  • FirewifeCarrie
    Options
    I have the big bag of protein powder from Costco....and I've lost 30 pounds. I've worked out and cleaned up my diet but I do use the protein shakes within 30 minutes of my workout to help my muscles. I'm not a bulky body builder as you can tell by my pictures. :)
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    I've heard everyone mentioning shako logy so I plan on trying it!

Shakeology is expensive but I have looked into the reviews and found some from people who are NOT sales or associated with Beachlife..and they say Shakeology is AWESOME!!!!!!! I am thinking about trying it too..but $119 for 30 servings kind of makes me leery but they do have a money back guarantee...It has AMAZING stuff in it!!!...
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You can easily find a protein shake that has lower calories. GNC carries Optimum Whey protien. Vitamin Shoppe carries Lean Dessert protein by BSN. You can get something that has about 150 calories per scoop.

There are protein powders that are weight gainers, higher calories. Just read the labels.

150 calories sounds good. I like to keep things around that, especially for a snack. I'll go to GNC. I am always intimidated by that store lol There's so much stuff I have NO clue about in it.
  • ambergirl327
    Options
    The shakes are for MEAL REPLACEMENT not supplement, if you want to lose weight then you REPLACE a meal if you want to gain weight then you SUPPLEMENT a meal. YOur husband is right but in the wrong context, so call it a draw and go for it! I loke my shakes mixed with ICE and milk of for a special treat, frozen yogurt! good luck!
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I use a protein shake called Sculpt. (http://www.sculptforwomen.com/whatis.html)
    I talked to the woman at the shop and it will NOT gain weight from it. I don't use it as meal replacement but as a snack and it really fills me up. I have the chocolate flavour lol!!

And basically for 2 scoops

94 Calories
    1.3g of fat
    149mg sodium
    2g of carbs
    0.8g sugar
    18.3 g protein

(that's just the powder without milk so you have to take that into account too)

Works for me! :)

Thank you!
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    There are weight gainer formulas, but regular protein powder won't make you gain weight if you work it into your calories. I have been buying the Costco brand for hubby for a long time. The Cytosport has been great in helping him reach his goals. He has an 8 pack stomach and 7% body fat. No fat gain there. He has gained muscle mass though while on it, so his weight is higher than when we ended P90X (but his body fat is even lower).
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    A shake by itself is not gonna make you gain weight unless it supplies enough calories to put you past your threshold between losing, maintaining, and gaining.

You probably want a lower cal / low carb shake and definitely not a weight gainer specific shake. Just look at the nutrition facts on the back of the tub. 1 serving equals "X" amount of fluid ounces and equals "X" amount of calories. Compare that to how many calories you can eat per day and still lose weight and figure out if it works into your diet plan or not, simple math. :)
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Dear god,

I use protein powder to up my protein without adding fat to my diet (long story including PCOS and no gallbladder) Any way, I was able to find soya protein powder worth 100 calories a scoop. It does not make me gain weight.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I like to use the costco brand chocolate "weight loss" shakes. They taste really good, and as long as they are a meal replacement, and not a supplement, you will be fine.

The costco chocolate ones taste better than the slimfast ones in my opinion, but also have more calories. 270 vs. 190. They give me plenty of energy before my morning workout.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    As long as you monitor the calories you're taking in and stay under your daily limit you wont gain weight.

Protein is beneficial for building and maintaining muscles as well as other important bodily functions. Protein has less calories per gram and takes more energy to digest then fat. It also makes you feel fuller longer then many other foods.

For these reasons, and I'm sure there are others, I think protein powders can be a good addition to a dietary regime.
  • NWLARealtor57
    NWLARealtor57 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I drink the 100 per cent protein shake EAS for breakfast and sometime for supper I have lost weight, not that much so far only been drinking it for a week. I mix it with frozen fruit and unsweetened almond breeze milk, few ice cubes and put it in blender, so it is lower in calories and it feels me up. I guess it all depends on how you drink it, but you want to gain lean muscle as well while losing weight. I drink my protein shake for breakfast, eat a snack about 3 hours later then lunch at noon. Then I go home and either drink another protein shake or eat supper but I keep it within my calorie range. Hope this helps!