The running south

Options
How many of you are not use to the humidity, yet are still brave enought to go out into the this horrible humidity and run? I just moved to Georgia and i dont dare run out there!! How do you battle this, and what keeps you from not running on the treadmill?

Replies

• luv2runsgf
    luv2runsgf Posts: 48
    Options
    Run early - the earlier the better. I usually head out around 3:15. I hate the dreadmill but do not handle the heat and humidity very well. This has worked in NC, TN and MO .... all states with more than their fair share of heat and humidity. Somehow even when it is over 80 degrees and humidity close to 100% it doesn't seem as bad when the sun isn't beating down on you.
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Alabama born and bred, and it's been well over 100 here lately and VERY humid. I run in the evenings or early mornings. I stay very hydrated, aaaannnddd the faster I run, the sooner I get back into the air conditioning. :)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    You get conditioned to it. I'm in Wisconsin and we've just broken a week or more with 90%+ humidity and 90* temps too. Running early or late helps, drinking extra water, and slowing down your pace.
  • Degator
    Degator Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Run early and carry a towel because you are going to sweat a lot!
  • michis05
    michis05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    my long runs i go at 6am..its hot as heck but its better than the evenings...my shorter runs are on the treadmill :/ makes it hard to run out here because we dont have side walks..ill make it work though!! thanks for the tips yall
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options
    I live in GA too. I have become acclimated to it. Due school the best time for me to run is at like noon or at 6. It's blistering hot and humid. It sucked at first, my mile time went up a good minute and a half, but it's getting better. I hydrate all day long and bring water with me. I try to do my long runs earlier in the morning or later in the evening, but it's still not comfortable.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not currently living down south, but I have run down there on vacation. I had to get up at the butt-crack of dawn and do it, or wait until after sunset, because any other part of the day would have killed me. But the more often you do it, you really do get used to it. I was down there for about two weeks, and the first week was not pleasant, to put it mildly, but the second was much easier. And I'm pretty sure it was actually slightly worse that week. Also, I had to take extra water, because I could NOT stop sweating. It's amazing how much harder your body has to work with humidity.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'm in NC... I don't run outside right now, but I do ride. Not bad when going faster. ;)