Any personal trainers?

Options
what did you have to do to get certified as one? what website did you go through, the costs? any info is greatly appreciated! THANKS!

Replies

• brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    what did you have to do to get certified as one? what website did you go through, the costs? any info is greatly appreciated! THANKS!

ok so I dont know much about being a PT, but certified through a website? really? maybe i'm being overcritically jumping to conclusions, but shouldnt becoming a pt involving learning about the muscles and nutritions and some kind of schooling?

granted i know thats just my opinion, but if you're going to be telling me how to do things to assist my body in being what it should be, you should know how it all works and i'm not real sure you can learn that from a website.

and i'm not trying to be critical so please don't take it like that.. just strikes me as not the best route to take
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working on my certification through ISSA. It's a big book with quizzes after every chapter and once you finish most of the quizzes the site unlocks the exam. Pass the exam, show proof of CPR/AED training and you're done.

It's $500 and they give you 8 months to do it. I got the CPR through work but the Red Cross does it for around $50.

In order to keep the certification you have to complete so many CE hours every two years. They have a bunch of courses that qualify on the site. www.issaonline.com, good luck :)
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My son is working on his training & certification ~ here are the some of the sites he is using right now

http://www.nfpt.com/how-to-become-personal-trainer.html

http://www.ncsf.org/governance/

http://www.nasm.org/

Hope this helps!
    :wink:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

ok so I dont know much about being a PT, but certified through a website? really? maybe i'm being overcritically jumping to conclusions, but shouldnt becoming a pt involving learning about the muscles and nutritions and some kind of schooling?

granted i know thats just my opinion, but if you're going to be telling me how to do things to assist my body in being what it should be, you should know how it all works and i'm not real sure you can learn that from a website.

and i'm not trying to be critical so please don't take it like that.. just strikes me as not the best route to take

Well you are entitled to your opinion most certainly, but I am training online right now to be a trainer. . I am knee deep in homework as I type this. . . And FYI I am not learning it from a website. ..

So you might want to be a tad more informed before expressing such an opinion. . . I have a huge text book here in front of me along with the fact that I have to take my quizzes, and my final. . Not trying to be rude to anyone just saying please don't make assumptions. . .
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    I'm currently working on my certification through ISSA. It's a big book with quizzes after every chapter and once you finish most of the quizzes the site unlocks the exam. Pass the exam, show proof of CPR/AED training and you're done.

It's $500 and they give you 8 months to do it. I got the CPR through work but the Red Cross does it for around $50.

In order to keep the certification you have to complete so many CE hours every two years. They have a bunch of courses that qualify on the site. www.issaonline.com, good luck :)

Amen to that . . .I am going through ISSA as well. . . And becoming a coach on beachbody. . . Nice to meet up with likeminds.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options

Well you are entitled to your opinion most certainly, but I am training online right now to be a trainer. . I am knee deep in homework as I type this. . . And FYI I am not learning it from a website. ..

So you might want to be a tad more informed before expressing such an opinion. . . I have a huge text book here in front of me along with the fact that I have to take my quizzes, and my final. . Not trying to be rude to anyone just saying please don't make assumptions. . .

Sigh ... I did come across as overly critical.... Definitely not my intentions. Wasn't real sure how it worked... and its good to know that there is some schooling involved.
  • michis05
    michis05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Sigh ... I did come across as overly critical.... Definitely not my intentions. Wasn't real sure how it worked... and its good to know that there is some schooling involved.

see i dont know about this stuff thats why i was asking...either way, both make since...any input is welcome by me...makes me learn more..research more..thanks yall for the input!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options

No worries hon. . you honestly didn't know and that is okay! It happens. .
  • daddyssunshyne
    Options
    The internet has become a huge part of our lives, as partly evidenced by this site. I think *most* schools, even really good ones, now offer some "online" version of the curriculum. While I understand and agree with wanting to have confidence in the person you are giving as much control to as a PT, any credible online course will have all the academics of a more traditional one.

Sarah