Camping

Options
crmhaske
crmhaske Posts: 66 Member
Has anyone gone camping without straying from their diet? I haven't.

If you have, do you have any suggestions on what I could bring that won't lead to a disappointing weigh in on Monday? I am a vegetarian. Fruits and vegetables will be good for the first day, but they won't keep very well after that. Most food that's of the camping variety is high in carbs and salt.

Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It might be harder as a vegetarian but I don't have an issue because I watch portion size, I'm busy hiking, and swimming to burn extra calories.

Dry ice helps keep things cold longer, and replenishing the ice packs will keep things cold too.

Of course I've always camped at a camp ground so there was easy access to new ice every day.
  • dancingphoenix
    Options
    I have made a nice pot of pinto beans on the fire using a really deep iron skillet. It was really really good :) It had the smokey flavor of the wood fire in it and it was the best! You have to pretty much stir it all the time while it is cooking and keep it covered for the most part. Make sure you watch the water level because it will evaporate quicker on the fire or on hot coals next to the main fire than it will at home. I just used dry beans and water, with salt and pepper to taste :) (you might also find some vegitarian bullion to throw in for added taste) Since I used a really deep iron skillet, it seems to spread out the heat more evenly than the thinner aluminum cooking things you find at camp stores. Even tho it is heavy, I don't go camping without it :) Have fun camping!
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    vegetarian chili

black bean soup

plenty of nuts

dried fruits

canned low sodium vegetarian soup

grilled avocado sandwiches are pretty tasty. (just like grilled cheese)

grilled cheese

salad
  • crmhaske
    crmhaske Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions :)