stand up paddleboarding

Options
How many calories an hour do you burn doing SUP? I've recently become an addict and can feel the burn, but there's no info on here to log it. Thanks!

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I LOVE SUP! :smile: I've read that it burns between 225-500 cals an hour. I just bought a heart rate monitor and I can't wait to use it next time I SUP so I know just how many calories I've burned.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've been SUPing too this summer - it's awesome! It is a pretty good core and arm workout! I would log it as kayaking/canoeing, but I would say you'd get a little more out of it due to standing up. Although, I think I burn more trying to get it to the shore than actually rowing! hahaha those things are heavy.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I paddle too, but I keep my okole in a canoe to do it. Outrigger is a lot more intense than SUP, but I usually burn 600-700 calories an hour. So the 300 range is probably about right.
  • sosmerc
    sosmerc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I try to paddle on my sup at least once everyday. I always have my gps with me and try to average 4 mph. I generally go for 90 minutes and feel afterwards like I have burned more calories than walking at 4 mph for 90 minutes. It's a great workout.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    My yoga class does sup yoga. I'm dying to try it but I think I'd spend more time in the water than on the board lol.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I live in the wrong country

that looks so cool
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I really want to try this. How long does it take to learn how to balance?