how skinny is too skinny?

Options
a. i am 5 foot 8 and a half inches and i was wondering how skinny do you think is too skinny? like a weight, and a clothing size.
b. then for people in general, how skinny do you think is too skinny.

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    108lbs size 00
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    a. im so far from your height, don't take my number too much to heart ^.^ I would say a size 0 is too thin at your height. maybe less than 120 pounds.....it depends on your build and stuff too though. Maybe ask your doctor :smile:

b. in general, i think if you look at someone and feel like, "omg!" maybe they are too thin. for me, i am not sure, but I think under 80 pounds is probably too skinny (i'm 4'9.5")

I have no idea xD
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    "Too skinny" is a relative term. Your frame size would have to be taken into account when trying to judge if you'd be too skinny at a certain weight. In my opinion, anything under about 130 would be too skinny, though, especially if you had a large frame and/or had a good layer of muscle.

Too skinny is basically every female actress on TV. Okay, not really, but when you can see their ribs around their sternum? UGH!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    A) 122 is the absolute skinniest you should be at 5'8 with a healthy BMI. Not sure about the clothing size...
    B) I think if your chest bones show at all times (like without doing certain movements that makes them more pronounced), you've gone too far. In general, you should have a BMI of 18.5 or higher.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am 5 8 and I the smallest I got down to was a size 5 and I loved it but I have a medium frame so I didn't look super skinny

so i think it depends on your body structure on how skinny is too skinny
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    honistly the people in your profile pics are distubing and wayyyy too skinny!!!!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    it depends on many factors like your body frame, height, body composition etc. there are those people with weight ranges from 90-110 lbs. with a 24 inch or less waistline but they don't look skinny. checking your body fat percentage is more accurate and if you are a woman if you go below 15% fat then you are skinny as an anorexic which is unhealthy. 21-24% is what considered as a healthy range while 31% and above are considered obese. for a man they should never go below 9%.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Depends on your body frame and muscle mass.
    But if I were 5'8" I bet I'd be happy at 140-150. But that's with my current frame!
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Do you know that Disney channel show "Shake it Up"? Being a dedicated Disney channel hater, I don't watch it, but whenever I see pictures of the star of that show, it freaks me out. She needs to eat. If you look like that, you're too skinny.

In terms of attractiveness, I like girls that actually eat, but work out and have muscle too. I think that's how most people are?

I'm your height, and I think I want to be a size 6-8, and 135-140 pounds. Seems healthy.
  • banjjo
    banjjo Posts: 89
    Options
    Not funny fatboypup. Thanks for posting the anorexic weight for a 5'8" person.

This is a great website with a chart showing what you should weigh. I wouldn't go below what it says for your bone structure. http://www.officialweightlossguide.com/recommended-weight-chart.php
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    honestly the people in your profile pics are disturbing and wayyyy too skinny!!!!
    this.
  • ginaheumann
    Options
    I am 5'-9" and my ideal weight is around 150-155. I'm pretty muscular, though. I think at our heights you don't want to be smaller than a size 6!
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure weight wise but i believe that if u can c ur ribs when just standin there & ur spine then u r WAY 2 skinny... but ppl r built diff so it's really hard 2 say. 214lbs on me looks diff on some1 else that is pear shaped b/c i carry my weight all over so i look like i weigh less. but that person would look like they weigh more

so it all comes down 2 body shape & if u're small-medium or large boned...
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    honestly the people in your profile pics are disturbing and wayyyy too skinny!!!!
    this.

I agree... and I hope you are not aiming to be as skinny as the people in those pics.. that is just not healthy
  • purnurple
    purnurple Posts: 102
    Options
    i am currently 125. i want to be 115. i wear a loose 2, tight 0.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm tappin' out of this conversation.
  • purnurple
    purnurple Posts: 102
    Options

This is a great website with a chart showing what you should weigh. I wouldn't go below what it says for your bone structure. http://www.officialweightlossguide.com/recommended-weight-chart.php

according to this i should be around 136-150
  • triashlete
    Options
    Such a complex question with even more complex answers... I've taken a senior level University class on this and there is no one answer...
    Using BMI (Which is a GENERAL guide)
    Your "healthy" Weight ranges from 125-160lbs
    Now body composition comes into play with this and 3 people all your exact height weighing 130lbs may all look completely different! Someone who has done more weight bearing exercises, therefore more muscle mass and higher bone density may look like an anorexic skeleton and an inactive individual may look many sizes larger...
    As for clothing sizes... I have pants that are a size 1 up to 8 which all fit me, tops range from xs-lg, there is no consistancy! You can't truely base your progress on dress size like they do on tv. (and certainly don't skip out on buying the top you love because only the large fits!)
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options

i think it is best to ask your doctor OP. I quote this chart simply because I am 103 pounds right now (a little under 4'10") and my doctor saw nothing wrong with me dieting...and she's pretty honest ^.^ According to this chart I am about to become underweight.
  • crjugrl
    crjugrl Posts: 172
    Options
    I would definitely talk to your doctor because in my opinion some of these numbers are way too low. I'm 5'6" and I would look way too scrawny if I were in the 120's... For me, 135 is the lowest I can go. Everyone is different, so definitely don't go by a number that someone else says is right for you.