Sedentary job...No problem

Options
A friend just asked what she can do to stay active during her day at work when she is bored. She is a waitress. These are some of the recommendations I suggested.

Walk in place
wall push-ups
Squats using chair
walk around building during break--unless you live in the Midwest or Northeast
bicep curls with bottles

If anyone has anymore ideas to share, please post. If they are job specific, it would be helpful to note that.

Thanks,
E.

Replies

• PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I try to do 20 jumping jacks every hour on the hour. As long as I don't have any clients in the office.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    lol she could do more work?
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I try to do 20 jumping jacks every hour on the hour. As long as I don't have any clients in the office.
    Good one....I think I will start adding that to my daily routine. That will take less than a minute and could have 160 done in an 8 hour day. Thanks.
  • sskoul
    sskoul Posts: 1
    Options
    Do all of that plus

Chew sugar free gum
    Stretch yourself from time to time
    Raise your butt off the chair and legs off the ground by pressing hard on the arm rests (if stuck in the office)
    Press up on the table edge from below as if lifting it (isometric exercise)
    Drink lots of water (Action of walking to the dispenser or fridge and pouring out a glass and drinking then going back to work place spends calories)
  • mamaboobear
    Options
    My biggest trick is to just suck in my stomache and squeeze as hard as I can as much as I can while walking around at work... it won't give her extra calories, but I honestly think its made my stomach ALOT smaller!! When I'm standing in place, I sometimes do mini back leg lunges or mini squats ( I don't want anyone to notice and wonder what this freak is doing lol).
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I notice a trend here and I have to admit I feel the same way.
    Why are we embarrassed to stick some exercise while doing something else? I wish I could completely get over that.

Anyway what I've done is
    - Raise my desk so that I have a standing workstation.
    - Volunteer to take even the smaller piece of trash to the dumpster. go up/down stairs many more times than usual.
    - Installed a pull up bar in the building.

I need to use the rest of ideas suggested here. Good post Doc.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I'm a waitress too. She could volunteer to bus more tables. Lifting that stuff is hard!!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    We have a walking path right outside the office here, so I do a quick 20 minute walk at lunch. I do squats or push ups in my cube about 2-3 times per day. Some people here have standing work stations, so they stand most of the day while they work.
  • rrjs
    rrjs Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks for posting this in the forums! It's nice to read some other users' suggestions!
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Dips
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I make myself get up for everything. Instead of printing something out to the copier and waiting for a pile, I get up constantly. I think this has really made a difference. I also walk around and try to make mini trips for everything.

I also squeeze by butt muscles a lot in my chair. :blushing:

I like everyone's ideas... I need to implement more! :tongue:
  • ErikaSwenson
    ErikaSwenson Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I have an office with a door :)

I downloaded the Ab Workout app for my Droid. It is free and is five minutes in length. I do it once during lunch break and once in the afternoon when I am getting sleepy. I honestly think it is helping out the tummy! Plus, I log it in my exercise diary. One minute of abdominal exercise is around 4.8 calories so I can burn almost 50 extra calories per day, which means I earn my diet hot cocoa (25 calories) with a splash of light vanilla silk (15 calories). Cheers!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    if you are waiting tables and find it sedentary...you're doing it wrong
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

*snort*
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options

Hahaha agreed!

But I guess maybe when it is slow there is less movement.

I have a hard time finding something to do that is active at work. I sit all day long. I actually get sore from sitting. But I can't do much because I am in an open cubicle that people walk by constantly. :(
  • rrjs
    rrjs Posts: 46
    Options

Not if it's a slow day and there are no tables to wait on...