Is pork "red meat"?

Options
Hi everyone,

I just read that if we reduce our consumption of 'red meat', it will result in health benefits.

Is pork counted as red meat? I'm planning the shopping for my family and we've currently got lots of chicken, fish and vegetables on the menu.. but i'm hesitant about substituting the lamp chops for pork. if i do so, it better be for health reasons!

HELP!

Thanks

Replies

• aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    Pork is not red meat. And it's awesome.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    pork is usually the bad kind tho. i think its the most fatty
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options
    Nope...don't you remember those commercials? Pork--the other white meat :P
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    "Pork- Its the other white meat"
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    Meat can be broadly classified as "red" or "white" depending on the concentration of myoglobin. Its myoglobin content is lower than beef, but much higher than chicken white meat. It's apparently considered "the other white meat"
  • mrdavidjk
    mrdavidjk Posts: 105
    Options
    many schools of thought, but the USDA (agriculture department) classifies it as red meat
    pork does contain a lot of fat, but also contains a lot of thiamine (a b vitamin)
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been eating pork and chicken a lot lately- no read meat. I think pork is good- as one poster said it can be fatty, but the kind I get its usually an outer strip that is think and you can cut off so easily. I think you should buy it and bake them with a little seasoning. It def helps break that chicken barrier (the instance where its like I never want to eat chicken again.)
  • kylies1219
    kylies1219 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Actually I just read an article about 3 days ago explaining that pork is red meat. I'll see if I can find it again.
  • fldillon
    fldillon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    From the following article: http://www.healthcastle.com/nutrition-myths.shtml

It is true that some studies have linked red meat with increased risk of heart disease, partly due to the saturated fat content. In fact, even chicken can contain as much saturated fat as lean cuts of beef or pork. For instance, a serving of sirloin beef or pork tenderloin has less saturated fats than the same serving size of chicken thigh with skin. It is true that poultry like chicken and turkey is naturally lower in saturated fats. But it is only true IF you do not eat the skin.

It is a nutrition myth, however, that red meat is altogether bad for your health. Instead of excluding red meats, choose leaner cuts of beef and pork. For beef, choose eye of round, top round roast, top sirloin and flank; for pork, choose tenderloin and loin chops.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    pork is usually the bad kind tho. i think its the most fatty

This 1000% WRONG.

Pork just like any other meat can be fatty or lean depending on the cut. For instance, the belly, (where you would find bacon) is generally fatty. The loin is VERY lean and even DRY when over cooked.

Pork is a healthy choice when chosen from humane resources that feed their pigs healthy diets with out antibiotics.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for less fatty cuts, pork tenderloin is very lean and it's pretty tasty, too. There are lots of great recipes out there for it that use relatively healthy marinades, so that would be an option that is healtheir than pork chops and gravy, for example.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I love chicken and could eat it every day but my husband and son get bored with it so we have pork usually once a week. We buy the pork loin and cut into our own pork chops (this way I can control the portion and trim the fat). My husband either grills it or shake-n-bake. Just don't forget to add the shake-n-bake to your counter.
  • kylies1219
    kylies1219 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Actually I just read an article about 3 days ago explaining that pork is red meat. I'll see if I can find it again.

From the FFA:

"Pork is considered a red meat. In the mid 80's, when health-conscience consumers
    decided that red meat was unhealthy, the pork industry lost sales dramatically.
    In an effort to regain lost ground, the Pork Council started a catchy and
    attractive campaign ("The other white meat") in 1987. The campaign worked--
    the demand for pork quickly rose. In fact, today's pork prices rise at a rate
    faster than the cost of living inflation. During the shift of perception,
    though, people began to refer to it as a white meat rather than a red meat
    (9 out of 10 people recognize the slogan).

You may find this link of interest when it comes to the changing face of pork:
    http://www.nppc.org/resources/nutrition.html. Basically, pork has become
    a competitive, nutritive rival to lean poultry."

To answer your question, pork is a red meat, but that doesn't make it unhealthy. As others have said, just choose lean cuts. :)
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Red, white, blue, green...does it really matter. Everything in moderation. I personally do not eat red meat or pork, but that is a choice I made 18 years ago. Just make good choices and don't go overboard. As a side note, if you eat a coop full of chicken, it will be bad for you.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Dunno... but I eat it!
  • dhcwong
    dhcwong Posts: 49
    Options
    As a side note, if you eat a coop full of chicken, it will be bad for you.

Gee. That was a LOL moment. I shall physically restrain myself the next time i sneak out to the chicken coop for a midnight snack.....
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Pork, like any meat or poultry is, is ok if you get the lean cuts. I always buy the extra lean pork tenderloin, and its really versatile. I slow cook it to make pulled pork, and its much less fatty then using the fatty shoulder roast. I also sometimes slice it into 1 inch slices and grill it. Or you can throw the whole thing on the grill and cook it. I've also cut it into cubes and used it in stir fries.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    swine flu !
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    swine flu !

I need to ask the master of Pork...Mister Gorilla where are you ?? he must be porkin somewhere................................