People who eat over 2000 calories a day...

Options
Do you have an open diary and/or can I friend you? Especially if you don't eat much meat or eat fairly "clean"?

I am active and breastfeeding and therefore need to eat at least 2100 calories a day. I sometimes run out of ideas that are vegetarian, cheap, and healthy. I would love to share ideas and see what other people are eating! How do you stay under on sugar and sodium when you eat that much? :)

Really hoping to look at some diaries or make some new friends with high calorie intake. Thanks!!

Replies

• Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    Seriously. How do you stay under on sugar and sodium when you eat that much?? :)

Thanks!!

Lots of eggwhites, protein powder, & oatmeal :)
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot of beans and brown rice pasta (along with fresh fruit and veggies). You will have no trouble reaching 2100 cals a day.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Seriously. How do you stay under on sugar and sodium when you eat that much?? :)

Thanks!!

Lots of eggwhites, protein powder, & oatmeal :)

I eat oatmeal EVERY day and lots of eggs, too. They are yummy!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    why not swap the fat free milk for semi skimmed and the low fat cheese for regular cheese!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nuts and nut butters, avocado and similar nutrient dense (heavy calorie low volume items) help me to reach my 2030 calories a day. I also opt for full-fat (and flavour) things like consuming whole milk, NON-LITE versions of Miracle Whip or salad dressing if for some reason I have either. Protein powder too to get to my protein goal without going way overboard on fats. I can't just eat chicken or turkey or fish to get to my goal I need beef / pork etc!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Do you have an open diary and/or can I friend you? Especially if you don't eat much meat or eat fairly "clean"?

I am active and breastfeeding and therefore need to eat at least 2100 calories a day. I sometimes run out of ideas that are vegetarian, cheap, and healthy. I would love to share ideas and see what other people are eating!

Thanks!!

I am around that range, but I eat a lot of meat, too.
  • boffo
    boffo Posts: 22
    Options
    my ride days i end up over 2000 calories... granola and dried fruit. peanut butter and pasta and rice all work too.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Nuts, grains, olive oil, coconut oil.
  • crimiller
    crimiller Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I only get 1200 calories a day...but I am also a vegetarian. Here are two recipes I recently tried that were very good.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Orecchiette-with-Lentils-Onions-and-Spinach-108885
    ^- Unless you LOVE onions, I would suggest using less than they recommend. Also, for an added boost (and since it sounds like you have calories to spare, it was delicious when I added chopped, grilled portabella mushrooms and tomatoes to it). (approx. 570 calories before the add-ins when I made it into a recipe on the site).

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/11/on_moving_towar_1.php
    ^- This recipe was delicious! It was also good with chopped tomatoes added. (approx. 471 calories when I put it in the recipe maker on this site).

For both recipes, I felt I needed more spinach then it called for, so feel free to add more if you love it!

Hopefully this gives you some ideas.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    why not swap the fat free milk for semi skimmed and the low fat cheese for regular cheese!

I can switch out the cheese but I much prefer the taste of skim milk.

Anyone mind if I view their diaries? :)
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I eat less than 2000 cals but hubby eats over. he drinks milk and eats a lot of fruit. fruit send you over on your sugar though. But if you are active natural sugar shouldn't matter too much. I recomend avacados. Use them on sandwichs, in salads and fajitas.

I don't worry too much about sodium b/c I have low blood pressure and i try to eat a lot of potassium which counter acts sodium and keeping your water intake up flushes out the sodium.

I love meat and I do not eat 100% clean but you are welcome to friend me. My diary is open. you can see all teh chocolate i ate yesterday.

for veggie meals I love Rachael Rays salas stoup and her zuchinni bow tie pasta. meals with lentils are also good.

best of luck to you.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I don't eat that much as I am pretty little but I eat back my pretty big calorie burns (marathon runner) I eat cleaner when school starts but I don't eat meat .
  • shortystu80
    Options
    I also am a breastfeeding mother. I don't take in the extra 500 calories a day and I am pretty active. I do however put this thing on lose no weight. I have found that it does not decrease my milk supply, in fact, the extra activity seems to increase it. That and the suppliments I take for lactation, fenugreek and milk thistle. I am not a vegetarian but have found a lot of great vegetarian recipes I've been trying lately online. The best way to keep your calorie content up is to snack all day long. Nuts, fruits, veggies, berries, just keep them on hand constantly and eat when you're hungry. Hope this helps.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    Thank you for everyone's suggestions and to all the people who friended me! You guys are awesome.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options

I can switch out the cheese but I much prefer the taste of skim milk.

Anyone mind if I view their diaries? :)

You don't want to increase your saturated fats... regular cheese and regular milk are not good to consume on a regular basis. Just eat larger portions of healthy, nutritious food.
  • Johnsweaver
    Johnsweaver Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You don't want to increase your saturated fats... regular cheese and regular milk are not good to consume on a regular basis. Just eat larger portions of healthy, nutritious food.

The old thinking of saturated fats being evil is coming under more and more scrutiny. I'd rather eat, natural fat (of any kind) over any processed fat. Not to mention the host of ingredients required to make some low-fat foods stable.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400919/Rethinking-Saturated-Fat.html
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options

The old thinking of saturated fats being evil is coming under more and more scrutiny. I'd rather eat, natural fat (of any kind) over any processed fat. Not to mention the host of ingredients required to make some low-fat foods stable.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400919/Rethinking-Saturated-Fat.html

Studies also show that full-fat dairy may offer protection from colorectal cancers. http://www.ajcn.org/content/82/4/894.short
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    avocado!! nuts! i wish i could eat tons of nuts a day!