MFP - per week loss and calories

Options
Can someone advise what I should set it on to help with my sloooooow weight loss, I have 30 pounds to loose:

If I set it MFP to:

2. pound a week my calories are 1200
1.5 pound a week my calories still remain at 1200 allowance
1 pounds a week my allowance is 1210 (only 10 calories more),
0.5 pound a week loss my calorie allowance goes up to 1460

Currently set on 2 pound weight loss, but it doesnt seem much difference in setting it to 1.5 pounds or a 1pound loss a week, the only real difference is setting it to 0.5 pound loss.

Please could you advise x

Replies

• vulrich93
    vulrich93 Posts: 99
    Options
    ***The more you exercise, the more you can eat :)

I would set it to 1 lb per week. But at least try to exercise too. It's good that you're doing slow weight loss.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    Its because you can't go below 1200 without going into starvation mode so it won't let your calories be below that. To actually measure if you are losing 1/2 lb at 1460 then you can subtract 250 calories for each 1/2 lb per week. Keep in mind that most people will go into starvation mode under 1200 calories and will actually gain weight so I would follow the 1200 calorie minimum.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

I would set it to 1 lb per week. But at least try to exercise too. It's good that you're doing slow weight loss.

This is the plan I am following...
    Maybe you are not eating enough? Check your activity level setting. Also, are you using a food scale and measuring cups? I know my portions can be way off if try to eyeball it.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Its because you can't go below 1200 without going into starvation mode so it won't let your calories be below that. To actually measure if you are losing 1/2 lb at 1460 then you can subtract 250 calories for each 1/2 lb per week. Keep in mind that most people will go into starvation mode under 1200 calories and will actually gain weight so I would follow the 1200 calorie minimum.

This
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    1200 cals is the lowest MFP can recommend. Just because you select to lose 2 lbs per week does not mean that the 1200 cal per day will give you that loss. Look at your goal page and see how much weight it has you losing at 1200 cals per day. If you had A LOT to lose and selected 2lbs vs 1 lb vs 1/2 lb then you would see a bigger difference in cals/day.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    1 pound per week is a good, solid pace for someone with only 30 pounds to go. There will probaby be weeks where you lose a little more, some a little less. By the end you may average slightly above or below.

2+ pounds per week is OK for people who are obese, the bigger you are the more you should expect to lose per week. I can lose 2-3 pounds per week no problem but then I started at 246. I've seen people here in the 300+ lose 4-5 pounds per week fairly regualarly in the begining couple of months.

My guess is if you ave 30 or less pounds to lose, 1 pound per week is probably the best number to shoot for. You can alway adjust after a few weeks if it isn't working.
  • missphoenix
    Options
    1 pound per week is a good, solid pace for someone with only 30 pounds to go. There will probaby be weeks where you lose a little more, some a little less. By the end you may average slightly above or below.

2+ pounds per week is OK for people who are obese, the bigger you are the more you should expect to lose per week. I can lose 2-3 pounds per week no problem but then I started at 246. I've seen people here in the 300+ lose 4-5 pounds per week fairly regualarly in the begining couple of months.

My guess is if you ave 30 or less pounds to lose, 1 pound per week is probably the best number to shoot for. You can alway adjust after a few weeks if it isn't working.

Thank you, that makes sense.
  • missphoenix
    Options

Hi ya,
    I am currently exercising and eating 'most' of my exercise calories and sticking to my quota of 1200 x
  • missphoenix
    Options

Thank you for the info, I wondered why there is only an extra 10 calories between loosing a pound and 0.5 pounds x