Food For Thought...hmmmmmm

Options
merguson
merguson Posts: 281 Member
I remember, back when I was a kid, milk went bad if we didn't drink it within a week or so. Bread went moldy too. We bought milk before we went camping almost 2 weeks ago and forgot to bring it with us. I just checked the BB date and it's not till Aug 12! Seriously?!?! And bread, I don't remember the last time I had bread go moldy!! What the heck are they putting in my food!!!

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I know, it's very scary! Start reading books by Michael Pollan or watch the movie Food, Inc and you'll be amazed...
  • FaithHopeTrust
    FaithHopeTrust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    more sugar. helps stop if going out of date! it's why jam/jelly doesnt go mouldy unless you contaminate the knife you put in the jar!
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    there is a general rule of thought.............if food goes bad, it's good for you and vice versa. Yes, it's true, there is a lot of chemicals, preservatives and hormones in milk and bread, it's too bad but it's true :(
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I know, it's very scary! Start reading books by Michael Pollan or watch the movie Food, Inc and you'll be amazed...

Love Michael Pollan! Everyone should definitely browse through Food Rules, he makes grocery shopping MUCH simpler.
  • jschm947
    jschm947 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I just started noticing this with bread this summer!!! I don't like it and I don't like the idea of feeding that to my children... The hard part is I want the ones with the least amount of calories but those aren't the most natural........
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    Check out The End of Overeating as well. It's pretty scientific, but they break down the food behind some restaurants and it's gross. Now, any and every time I go out to eat, I'm going to ask what on the menu is made fresh in house!