My (Broken) Plateau and Me

Options
BioQueen
BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
Hello!

I'll start out with a little NSV! Yesterday I wanted to try on my skinny jeans (which I haven't been wearing because it's SOOO hot). I put them on and was disappointed. They fit just a little better than they used to, but it was clear I couldn't go down a size. I looked at the tag and it was a size 10, I thought I had my size 12's on! I was a 14 at the beginning of this, and I can't remember the last time I was in a 10. Skinny Jeans are the ultimate "I really can't lie to myself" clothing piece.

Anyway..

For the past 2.5-ish weeks I've had more success than I have in the past year. I began around 180 last August, and I hit 160 around the end of January. I plateaued there until April, which was my 21st birthday month... and I gained 7 pounds. Well THAT got me motivated and I hit 160 again... for another 2.5 months. This summer I am home from school, and I haven't been home for more than 2 weeks in 5 years. My mom began her weight loss journey about the same time as me, and she has lost 80 lbs! SO proud! But it has been awesome because we keep each other motivated. I amped up my exercise and I have been working as a therapeutic horse back riding instructor plus loads of barn work. However... I still didn't lose anything.

Every body is different, and will respond to different mechanisms of weight loss in different ways. This is how I broke my plateau and got on track. For some people, this won't work, for others, different parts might!

Exercise calories are ALWAYS a big topic. I think people should do whatever works best for them. Personally, I was doing all of this exercise and I was eating those calories back. Nothing happened. I wasn't eating the cleanest, but I would say 60% of my diet was clean. Around July 10th, I began JM's 30 Day Shred, ate 98% clean, and netted between 1,000 and 1,2000 calories a day. WHAM I have dropped 7 pounds since then, and I am only 3 pounds away from being "normal" according to the BMI thing. It's not just about the scale though. My stomach is definitely smaller (thanks JM) and I FEEL good. To me, feeling good is the best part, and I do attribute that to eating clean more than my exercise routine. (My food diary is open for anyone who wants to peek)

For everyone struggling with a plateau, it's no fun! I pretty much hit a 6 month plateau period. There are loads of good ideas floating around here, but not every one of them will work for you! There are a lot of good posts to eat your exercise calories. That didn't work for me... but I never know - when I lose some more weight my body might change! Just keep trying new things, but don't try them for 1 or 2 days and then mark it as not working.

... I'm really excited! And proud of myself for finally taking accountability for what I put in my mouth.

Best of luck to everyone, have super duper days, and keep going to feel your best!

Replies

• LJCDuke11
    LJCDuke11 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    WOW!! That's awesome!! I'm so scared about at what point and for how long I'll plateau.... =( It feels like this snake hiding in the dark waiting to jump out and get me! =( hope full its not for a while!!
  • BioQueen
    Options
    It's such a pain! I know that some major poundage is melting off, and it will slow down pretty soon (hopefully after I get to 150!). I've always noticed that I lose when I eat a net of 1,000-1,200, so I think switching up the exercise works really well. I think doing the Shred has done wonders for me - especially since I am in love with cardio and not so much the weight training.
  • Lolyballs
    Lolyballs Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! I am so happy for you! Your post has inspired me. I don't know really understand what eating clean is, but I am going to look into it. I have stopped buying processed foods. I grow most of my own veggies now. What I can't grow I purchase from the local farmers market. I am learning how to use different herbs and spices to flavor foods... skip the fat and salt. A pinch of freshly ground nutmeg in fresh green veggies works magic! If you don't tell anyone its there, they will never notice it. lol Anyway, your post has given me faith that I can do this, I just have to keep trying and find the right formula for me!
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting!!!! I had started eating about 1360 cals, but not eating my exercise calories back..... I was losing 2-3 pds a week. That's healthy at my weight! BUT then I felt kinda bad and thought I should be eating those exercise calories, plus people were saying if I ate them I'd lose more....I not only stopped losing weight, I gained six pounds.

I am now going to drop my calories a little bit, and go back to not eating my exercise calories. I really find that each person needs to do what works for them, you are right. There are somedays where I had a big burn and I was hungry sop I ate a bit more, because i felt like my body needed it.

Thanks so much for sharing!!!!!!
  • BioQueen
    Options
    AWESOME! I am so happy for you! Your post has inspired me. I don't know really understand what eating clean is, but I am going to look into it. I have stopped buying processed foods. I grow most of my own veggies now. What I can't grow I purchase from the local farmers market. I am learning how to use different herbs and spices to flavor foods... skip the fat and salt. A pinch of freshly ground nutmeg in fresh green veggies works magic! If you don't tell anyone its there, they will never notice it. lol Anyway, your post has given me faith that I can do this, I just have to keep trying and find the right formula for me!

That's great! I wish I had the opportunity to grow my own veggies. That is pretty much what eating clean is - eating foods when they are as "natural" and "raw" as possible. I'm glad you are feeling inspired! It's the way to be! Keep experimenting, and you'll find it!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting!!!! I had started eating about 1360 cals, but not eating my exercise calories back..... I was losing 2-3 pds a week. That's healthy at my weight! BUT then I felt kinda bad and thought I should be eating those exercise calories, plus people were saying if I ate them I'd lose more....I not only stopped losing weight, I gained six pounds.

I am now going to drop my calories a little bit, and go back to not eating my exercise calories. I really find that each person needs to do what works for them, you are right. There are somedays where I had a big burn and I was hungry sop I ate a bit more, because i felt like my body needed it.

Thanks so much for sharing!!!!!!

It's great that you found your "sweet spot" but keep in mind that what works now may not work the closer you get to your goal weight. Once you do get closer, you may find that you do need to start eating back those exercise calories, and drop your calorie goal, too. Keep doing what you're doing until you hit a plateau. Once you do, then you'll know your body has gotten comfortable at that weight/calories/activity level and it's time to start changing things up a bit.
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    For sure! Thank-you :D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!