How old is to old

Options
2»

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm 49. I love going to the gym, but I usually only go for an hour at a time. And I really don't enjoy very high intensity cardio blasts like spin or fast aerobics - I do a weight class, a Body Combat (which is cardio based on martial arts but tends to be a bit slower than your usual aerobics), Zumba occasionally, (but only cos I love to dance, I do Scottish dancing once a week too )and I love to get a stretchy yoga class in once a week - I think that one is very important especially as we get older.

So well done you for getting out there and doing it, and have fun experimenting with different exercises that you enjoy. And build up gradually.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    HI, I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT HALF OF THE MACHINES AND VIDEOS ARE THAT THE YOUNGER GUYS ARE HERE ARE TALKING ABOUT, BUT I WALK AND WALK AND WALK SOMEMORE. I DANCE, ,WHEN I DO HOURS OF YARD WORK AND I'M SWEATING BUCKETS, YOU BET IT COUNTS. I'M 58, FIBROMYALGIA, AND IF I DON'T KEEP MOVING, I WILL EVENTUALLY NOT BE ABLE TO,CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN. DON'T TRY TO KEEP UP, YOU'LL GET HURT, DO WHAT YOU CAN, WALK, ENJOY WHAT GOD GAVE YOU, AND LIKE I TOLD MY GRANDSON,WHEN HE(JOKENLY,LOL) SAID I WAS GETTING OLD, "WE ALL GET THERE SOMEDAY!!!!! " RED
  • Goal4Good
    Goal4Good Posts: 115
    Options
    Everybody is right. You can't go from zero to 90 overnight! I am 50. I had to work my way up to exercising heavily and I still don't workout like that!!! I wouldn't take a spinning class if my life depended on it. You can do whatever you want to do but move slower. And try different kinds of exercise besides cardio too. Pilates and yoga will kick your butt and tone you like nobody's business!

Here's a true story. I moved to a new town a year ago. There was a free yoga class offered at my club for "older" ladies so I figured, well, I'll try it. When I walked in, everyone in the room was anywhere from 15 to 20 years older than I was. I snubly thought, well, this is going to be a waste of my time. Not gonna get a much of a workout with this group. Well, I stand corrected! THOSE LADIES KICKED MY BUTT!!! I couldn't do half the positions they did and I certainly did not have the agility they had. I was gasping and panting and collapsing from holding poses! They were like rocks!!! The instructor is 70 and holy smokes.......she was sooo limber and toned she made me look like a cream puff. But.....she did yoga every day for 30 minutes. So.......age is not an excuse. There are plenty of exercises you can do to get fit while on your way to working up to heavy cardio. DON'T GIVE UP! You can do it! It is harder for women at our stage of life but not impossible. Just build up to it!

Friend me if you like!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say, working longer than 20 min will start to burn muscle and not fat. That is the reason to stop.

I've never heard anything so silly in my life.

This is so off base I wonder where you got it.
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm really proud of you going to that class! I think everyone here has already said it, so I'll just cheer you on with a YAY! You did it! I think actually DOING something is the hardest step. I hope you find what is right for you and that you enjoy every minute of it! Keep up the good work, don't get discouraged by that one class :)
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Options
    I have been going to the gym for about 3 months now , myself and several of my co workers joined, let me start this by saying they are in thier 30 and 40's I am 59 , so after a 60 min Body blast class and a 30 min spin class I realized my body just can not keep up like it used to . I have known it for some time but tried to keep pushing through. After class went to my car and had myself a good old pity party It hit me all of a sudden that I am getting old and why am I putting myself through this. Ok enough self pity.
    Was wondering what the ladies in my age group are doing for exrecise and how much

On July 16th I competed in a 69 mile Mountain Biking endurance event with 10,000 feet of climbing. One of the best parts of my day was chatting with a 71 year old guy who came across the finish line. Told him I wanted to be just like him when I get to be his age. My point is age might slow you down a bit but there are plenty of 'older' people out there still mixing it up and doing what they love to do. Keep on keepin' on and don't let age bring you down..........
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm a 58 year old reforming couch potato and could not have managed 90 minutes of high intensity cardio 6 months ago, but it was because I was out of shape, not old. My advice: take a break from one of those classes and do some strength training instead. The time I put in on the resistance machines 3 times a week has stabilized my joints and made a huge difference in my ability to get through high impact cardio with a minimum of discomfort. I'm one run away from completing the final week of the C25K program and have had an easier time with it than a lot of people half my age.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say, working longer than 20 min will start to burn muscle and not fat. That is the reason to stop.

What? I have never heard that. I don' t know your source but whoever they are, run! Run away!
  • jeffsgal105
    Options
    oops
  • jeffsgal105
    Options

What? I have never heard that. I don' t know your source but whoever they are, run! Run away!

My husband is actually a bodybuilder, and he has said something like this to me. Then when I watch shows like Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition, they make the contestants workout for HOURS a day. Which works for them.