Runkeeper & MFP Users...

Options
Are you a Runkeeper user? If so, please help me by suggesting improvements to both MFP and Runkeeper and ask them to partner with each other so that our exercise calories will automatically update into MFP. You can go to the "Community Tab" in MFP then Message Boards » Website Suggestions/Feedback. Please ask MFP to add Runkeeper and vice verse. Runkeeper has such a great database of my calorie burns, progress, analysis, and personal records of my fitness and MFP has such a great calorie/nutrition database. To request this addition in Runkeeper, go to support, search, enter My Fitness Pal, and add to the thread there. The two put together would just be AWESOME!!!!! Thanks for your help friends!

Replies

• LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    BUMP !!!!!! BIG BIG BUMP !!!!
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Honestly I wouldn't want to have my runkeeper calories update to MFP. They're way off from what my HRM says. I'd rather go with the thing that's strapped to my chest feeling my heart beat.
  • jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i agree about the HRM.

but also i like sports-tracker.com muchhhh better than runkeeper
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    oh most definitely that would be good! however they give me different readings which would be confusing.
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    I wouldn't want mine to automatically update either because it always off from 100-300 calories compared to my Heart Rate Monitor. I would rather just continue to manually enter my numbers.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Yeah the RunKeeper calories are so far off that I don't want it to update MFP.
  • jbenton091011
    Options
    bump
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Currently, these HRM's are supported by Runkeeper, and this is what Runkeeper's web site says:

"You can import hrm data from the following Polar devices:
    S510, S520, S610, S610i, S625i, S625x, S710, S710i, S720, S720i, S725, S725x, S810, S810i * CS400, CS600 * AXN500, AXN700 * RS400, RS400sd, RS800, RS800sd, RS800G3, RS800CX

With these devices you can import data from Polar to www.runkeeper.com. You can also input the data manually from any other heart rate monitor by entering the stats from the heart rate monitor into the RunKeeper app.

More heart rate options will come as we grow."

...I do see your point that the numbers are different on Runkeeper vs. HRM's. However, I was just brainstorming ways that the two great sites could merge, so that I can keep accurate fitness records AND accurate caloric/nutrition records. You could also turn off or not allow MFP to share/link with Runkeeper. This would allow all MFP/Runkeeper users to decide whether or not they would want to link the two which would give all of us what we want. Most likely, this would be done in the area where MFP asks you to allow/not allow sharing in the "Settings" tab (Facebook/Twitter sharing settings). For me personally, if I didn't have a HRM that would automatically import into Runkeeper, I wouldn't mind entering my data in manually because then I would only be entering it once, not twice, as I am now. Just a thought, and thanks to everyone for your feedback :-) BTW, I think Runkeeper allows more devices to upload automatically than is listed above because my husband uses a Garmin Forerunner which uploads to RK.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper calories are way off. If doesn't know your body type, age, sex, weight, height, etc (At least not on the free app version which is all I use). MFP at least knows this stuff about you. An HRM is the best way to go if you want to get the closest accuracy to calories burned, although even an HRM has some serious limitations at times.

Example: I ran 6.5 miles last night using my HRM and runkeeper to track pace and distance.

My Polar FT7 HRM said I burned 1,237 calories (i think this is a little high, but probably due to extreme humidity and hot temps as this will mess with the HRM's readings a bit.

MFP says I would have burned 1,067 calories.

Runkeeper says I burned 745 calories.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    There are too many competing alternatives. I use CardioTrainer, which takes into account your sex, age and weight, and actually seems fairly accuracy for calories, for me at least!
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper mountain biking,So what you guys are saying is that Runkeeper calories are on the low side from what I actually burned? Maybe I should get an HRM.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ebramlett
    Options
    Anybody?
  • ebramlett
    Options
    CardioTrainer must not be for iphone, cant find it.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Bump! So Is runkeeper generally showing a bigger or smaller burn than a HRM?
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Bump! So Is runkeeper generally showing a bigger or smaller burn than a HRM?
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    RunKeeper shows lower calorie burn.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper always shows a much lower calorie burn for me than my HRM or even what MFP says in the database for me.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Runkeeper always shows a much lower calorie burn for me than my HRM or even what MFP says in the database for me.
    RunKeeper shows lower calorie burn.

Other way round for me I'm afraid - 5.8 mile run last night - Polar FT4 showed 700-odd cals - Runkeeper showed 1098 cals!