Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lactose Intolerant...

megz4987
megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
So apparently since having my daughter I'm lactose intolerant. I won't go into details as to how I figured that one out. I love cheese... and sometimes (not often) I like milk with my cereal and, like most, I like to enjoy icecream from time to time.
What are my options?

Also, are there tests (at the Dr's) to see if this is really my issue?

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    yes, talk to your doctor. I'm sorry to hear that, but join the club of us lactose intolerants!
  • Hanna82
    Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
    luckily there are great tasting soy milks and almond milks that are low in calories. i eat milk products in moderation as well...and when it comes to things like brie cheese and ice cream i just suck it up.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    I avoid alot of milk and ice cream because it does not agree with me. I love original Almond milk with my cereal when I have it. I eat swiss or mozzerella cheese in moderation.
  • sumjoy
    sumjoy Posts: 84 Member
    I've discovered that I'm not just intolerant, but actually allergic and it didn't show up in allergy testing.
  • carina_75
    carina_75 Posts: 88
    I became 'intolerant' to cheese in the last year after years of loving it, the consequenses of eating it...not good :blushing: i've found i'm also the same with milk, so i don't eat cereal now unless its dry, but with my tea i've found soya milk has no dire consequenses and tastes really good. I quit the ice cream when i started healthy eating, so i tell myself i don't miss it. You could maybe try a sorbet type dessert as a substitute??
  • suprfast
    suprfast Posts: 49
    welcome to the club. sounds like you have it worse than I do.

www.lactaid.com
    Lactaid milk saved my life. before that I used to drink soy milk and its nasty, and too sweet. I have tried cereal with everything, from iced tea to water, to juice. Now I can have it with milk.

I seem to be LI to just wet dairy. Ice creams, milk, etc... I can consume cheese. Take it easy and figure out what you body allows. I can say that the new frozen yogurts that are popping up all over the place seem to be gentle on the stomach. I guess is the natural bacterias that help aid digestion. Good luck and protect your rear :)
  • maparapa22
    maparapa22 Posts: 23
    I too am lactose intolerant and I take Lactaid it's a little chewable pill that you take any time you eat dairy. It has been so easy to eat cheese and ice cream. I get it at Target and get the target brand and it works wonders.
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    They make lactose free milk, but there is almond, coconut & soy milk too. Most hard cheeses have very little lactose ( like parmesan) and they make lactose free ice cream. I like the ones made with coconut milk. They also have sour cream & cream cheese alternatives made of soy. I haven't tried those yet.
  • JoBFit
    JoBFit Posts: 81
    Hi
    I am lactose and soya intolerant. If it's just lactose you can buy lots of replacement dairy products. Have you tried soya milk? It's an acquired taste but lots of people use it. I personally like oat milk but you can also use rice milk and nut milk. Just try a few and see which you like!
    I had to pay for my own food tests here in the UK. But it was money well spent as I'd been using soya as a dairy replacement and still having those awful symptoms. Try to get tested if you can because it might not be the lactose!

Good luck with it.
    Jo
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    They actually make almond cheese ( as well as other vegan cheeses). While they aren't like the real thing, I've totally acquired a taste for the almond cheese and hope to come across some other vegan cheese soon! Anyway, good luck! And AGREED to the Lactaid thing...it definitely helps when I just HAVE to have ice cream.
  • imdoune
    imdoune Posts: 17 Member
    I actually discovered that I really liked soya milk when I realised that I could not drink normal milk anymore :( There are also no lactose ice cream in groceries... Tofu dessert is also a great solution to replace milk in dessert..

BUT, when i really NEED a real ice cream.. I just take pills (of lactase - Lactaid) that I buy at the drugstore..

I found out that some "old" (and hard, not soft) cheese dont even have lactose in it, naturally.. the older they are, the better the chance there's no lactose in it

Lactose free milk / yogurt are great but I also found out that they still are dairy product and that I can't digest them very well..
  • adventuring
    adventuring Posts: 178
    There's lactose-free milk, as well as almond milk, soy milk, rice milk, etc. Ice cream made with almond milk is just as delicious as dairy ice cream, in my opinion. And if you're sensitive about taste, try going for the chocolate options (e.g. chocolate soy pudding) because that'll cover it up most of the time. There are non-diary options for just about everything these days, probably because more people are going vegan.

Sorry you're joining our ranks!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Dr. Oz has a test to see if you're lactose intolerant.....when you wake up in the morning, don't eat anything. Just drink a glass of milk. Wait 3 hrs. If you end up having bloating, cramping, and the more yuck symptoms like the poopies, then chances are you're lactose intolerant. I did that one morning because I had been wondering why I get a stomach ache every time I drink milk or eat cereal....it was NOT a good idea to do it on a work day!!! Ooops! lol
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Lactaid tablets seem to do the trick for me. I got a big box of the generic Walgreens version. They're just lactase enzyme, the enzyme that breaks down the lactose.