I'm going to do it!!!

Hi everyone, my name is Michelle, I'm 39 and I've started and stopped this more times than I can count. I think I reached "the point", I've always heard about it, but it never happened until now.

My 8-year old daughter called me fat last week, it wasn't to be spiteful, it just slipped out, it went like this; "You can't do that mommy, you're" and then she stopped, her eyes got HUGE, I tried to make a joke out of it, my husband and her always joke about my weight, but for me, that was real.

So I'm hoping that by posting this, it's like I'm telling the world, "I'M GOING TO DO THIS AND I'M NOT GOING TO QUIT", that way, I'm held accountable.

So, day one, I've done great....here are my goals for the beginning.....

1. Use that Wii Fit I bought the day it came out that I've only used once

2. Utilize the gym my company has one floor up from me, no more lunches out with vendors, brown bag it and spend my lunch working out.

3. Remember that not only am I doing this for me, but for my daughter so when we go to the mall, I don't have to hear her say "when you get skinny we can buy this....."

I hope to "meet" some great people on here to help me with this process......

Oh yeah....until I find that little thing.....it's been 2 days and 4 hours since my last cigarette!!!!!

Replies

• Hi everyone, my name is Michelle, I'm 39 and I've started and stopped this more times than I can count. I think I reached "the point", I've always heard about it, but it never happened until now.

My 8-year old daughter called me fat last week, it wasn't to be spiteful, it just slipped out, it went like this; "You can't do that mommy, you're" and then she stopped, her eyes got HUGE, I tried to make a joke out of it, my husband and her always joke about my weight, but for me, that was real.

So I'm hoping that by posting this, it's like I'm telling the world, "I'M GOING TO DO THIS AND I'M NOT GOING TO QUIT", that way, I'm held accountable.

So, day one, I've done great....here are my goals for the beginning.....

1. Use that Wii Fit I bought the day it came out that I've only used once

2. Utilize the gym my company has one floor up from me, no more lunches out with vendors, brown bag it and spend my lunch working out.

3. Remember that not only am I doing this for me, but for my daughter so when we go to the mall, I don't have to hear her say "when you get skinny we can buy this....."

I hope to "meet" some great people on here to help me with this process......

Oh yeah....until I find that little thing.....it's been 2 days and 4 hours since my last cigarette!!!!!
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    double duty :) losing weight and quitting smoking. You can do it.
  • FUNinTHEsun
    FUNinTHEsun Posts: 284 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

welcome!!! you can do this!!!!!
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    awww, children! They are so honest ( I have 3 of them) but just think when you reach your goal, you can look back at her and tell her that she was your inspiration and how that moment changed you forever!! You CAN do it...one day at a time! Welcome:flowerforyou:
  • Just take baby steps each day and don't get discouraged if you don't see big results fast. You are changing your life & way of thinking/eating/living which takes lots of time.

Keep going even if you have an off day. Eventually, your clothes will feel looser and your husband will notice the changes in your body!

We're all here for you!:smooched:
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Remember you are going to have good days and bad days. Try to make the good days outnumber the bad ones. It does get easier but you have to stay on it every day. This is a great place. Logging all the food and exercise really helps. Even now when I choose to eat something bad, I log it and move on. I try to make my next meals better and exercise a little more. It took a while to get in the shape I am currently in and it will take a while to get in the shape I want to be in.

Even my current shape is better then before. I am now exercising almost daily. I ran 4 mile last Saturday, no way I could have done that even 2 moths ago. Remember to be patient. Unlike tv Or the ads at the top of the page there is no miracle pill.

You can do this.:smile:
  • cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    This is a great place to stay motivated....we're all at different levels but all here for the same reason...there's lots of support, advice and love :smooched: . It had helped me a bunch - I've gotten great ideas, shared my success and slip ups (not failures). Baby steps are key, stay on track, don't get discouraged if you have a few gains or hit a plateau...this is a lifetime thing...not a quick fix.

Congrats on making the commitment!:drinker:
  • greeneyes490
    greeneyes490 Posts: 77 Member
    Something else that you might want to address with your husband is the comment you made about your husband and daughter joking about your weight......I am sure he doesn't mean to do it but he is sending such a bad message to your young daughter and could really hurt her in the end.....and if she ever gains weight it could have a such a bad effect on her self confidence......parent do it all the time (I know mine did) but it isn't always meant in a mean spirit, but there really is no reason for it so it might be something to talk about with your daughter and husband etc......

On the up side :)......congrats on hitting that "point"....i hit it once about 10 years ago and lost 80 lbs...i knew it when i hit it.....i just haven't hit that point again yet :) lol........you have set up some lofty goals so please don't let missing a workout, or eating out with a vendor derail you....just keep going cause it is so much easier to come back from a cheat meal or a couple of missed workouts than it is months or even years worth of cheats :).....

good luck to you :)......
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    :smile: I have found that by bringing my lunch and breakfast with me saves me tons of money but it keeps me on my calorie count, good way to stay accountable. The gym at lunch even for 30 minutes is great, wish I had that opportunity. You can do this and remember that this site is a great moral support so use it often!:smile:
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Welcome! One step at a time. You'll get a lot of support from all of us.
  • tjones7
    tjones7 Posts: 306
    YOU CAN AND YOU WIL DO THIS

Part of being on the rollercoaster is wanting quick results. You have to accept that this may be a long journey but you have to be in it for the long haul. Losing weight isn't easy especially when you have negative comments being thrown back and forth around you.

I don't want to offend you so I'm sorry if it does but you should talk to your daughter and teach her the art of silence and tact. If she is making jokes with her dad about you, imagine who they talk about and hurt when you are not around.

YOU CAN DO THIS! Today is the last day that you will weigh ???.

Best Wishes
  • With that attitude, you can't lose! I quit smoking about 5 months ago (for probably the 20th time) and I had reached "that point" with smoking. I have managed to lose some weight too. I just joined the site a few days ago myself with 15 pounds left to go. Some days it's a battle, but so VERY worth it to be healthy. My 9 and 12 year old eat almost nothing but junk food, but I hope that on some level I am setting an example they will follow as they get older. Stay close and post a lot.....the support here is great! When I first quit smoking, I chewed cinnamon toothpicks to avoid eating more. Anyway, stay tough!