Ways to fight the Dairy Queen Urge?

Options
13»

Replies

• lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Just go little! Dilly bar, kids cone, small sundae....... and save your calories for it!!! :flowerforyou:

Ya know a Dilly bar is 210 calories which i was so surprised to find out!
  • ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I used to have DQ about once a week....unitl, I found out from an employee that they don't clean out the ice cream machines like they should. Now, I can't stomach it, yuck. That's how I fight my DQ urge! haha

Depends on the DQ you go too...I KNOW that is not the situatuion at the DQ in our town!

Obviously, I wasn't implying that every DQ was like that, just the one in my town. They are all independently owned.
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My mom always told me I might be able to lose weight if my car could drive by DQ without pulling thru the drive thru....I bought a new car, thinking that might help, but it didn't so I joined MFP instead! haha. I agree with many of the other posters......I have tried to limit the number of times I go there and when I know we will be going to DQ, I just make sure I 'budget' my calories for a kid size cone.
  • slvrmop23
    slvrmop23 Posts: 5
    Options
    I agree with everyone else - kiddie cone from McDonald's, or small cone from DQ. I also like Skinny Cow ice cream cups. I think I have the dulce de leche and strawberry cheesecake in my freezer now. 150 calories and only 1 gram of fat. But, if you are really craving a bllizzard, a splurge every once in a while is good for your body (no need to go overboard, but eat more calories than you usually do) otherwise you metabolism adapts to a low calorie diet and you'll stop loosing weight.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Another vote for allowing yourself to mindfully indulge once in a while. Sometimes I really want ice cream (or chips, or whatever) so I just make a point to be more mindful for the rest of the day and save up enough calories to allow myself a small treat. Throw in an extra 30-minute walk, or a few extra minutes of your workout, if you need some extra calories. Or don't -- I don't stress about being over on calories once in a while. Do what works for you. But I do think it's a good idea to mindfully indulge to keep those cravings in check. When I have a craving and try to ignore it, I end up binging far worse than I would if I'd just find a reasonable way to indulge.
  • Depplover28
    Options
    Oh, I work at DQ, so I know how you feel! I would just say have more willpower, and go get some frozen yogurt. I think it tastes the same as ice cream, and it's better for you.
  • leaw24
    leaw24 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ah, my ice cream substitute is a Starbucks coffee light frappucinno - I don't know if the menu is identical in the States (I'm from the UK), but whenever I'm craving coffee icecream (or chocolate, 'cause they do a mocha light version), I go out and get myself one!

As I said not entirely sure if it's the same but in the UK a tall one has 80 cals, a grande one has only 110, and even the venti (which is like a bucket of icecream!!) is less than 140... all the iciness of a slushy but with enough dairy to pretend it's icecream :)
  • CourtneyCMarshall
    Options
    I have been freezing grapes and blueberries = SUPER GOOD!

If that doesn't cut it, try some of the Skinny Cow deserts, the ice cream sandwiches are really good @ 140 cals.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    WHY WHY did you have to bring up DQ....I live 45 mins away so I dont get it very often, But will be traveling past one to pick up my son in a town that has 3....so 4 in all I could have... The temptations.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    I save calories for things like that. Once in awhile in the summer I go to Dairy Queen with my mom and get a small twist cone. You could always find a replacement if you like. Maybe buy some vanilla yogurt and freeze it for a bit.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    FYI- I made myself wait until the end of the da yestarday to get my Cone.... However, at 7:30 I had SUCH a good workout, that I drove right by DQ and did not have the urge... I was on such an exercise high!

Thanks for all of your advise everyone, much appreciated!!

If I still want the ice cream tomorrow... I'll get it, but the child size, in a bowl ;)
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You are craving a vanilla ice cream cone, get the baby one like mentioned above, that's what I do. Itcould be worse, you could be craving the double chocolate chunk blizzard. If it's just the ice cream you want get it in a cup instead of the cone, that saves significant calories right there.

An ice cream cone (cake, not waffle) is about 15-20 calories...totally worth it!