I LOVE SPINNING!!!!!!!!!!

Options
After a 45 min class, i still have 800 calories left to eat for today!!!!!!!!!! Hahahaha...what an awesome workout!

Replies

• Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    After a 45 min class, i still have 800 calories left to eat for today!!!!!!!!!! Hahahaha...what an awesome workout!
  • gmukris
    gmukris Posts: 539
    Options
    I have only spun once and it was a while ago, but it was an awesome workout!!! Keep up with it!!! (I, too, love how the more I exercise, the more I can eat :laugh:)
  • msblondy16
    Options
    oh my god i am addicted to spinning! it is such a fabulous workout!! how did you figure out how many cals you burned? when i looked mine up it only said that i burned 550 in a 55 minute class... i dont have one of those fancy HRMs and certainly cannot afford one!! we have HRMs at the gym but they dont tell you cals burned during the spin class. just curious! yay spinning!!!
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Oh GOD, I love spinning! I do it two or three times a week and always feel GREAT.

MFP is such a great exercise motivator. I'll be like "Whuaaaah, 300 calories left? Screw that, I'm going to the gym!"
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Spinning broke my plateau!!

:heart: IT!!!!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I spin on Tuesdays and I so look forward to it!

I love the way my legs feel during a class. Nothing like it! :heart: :heart:
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I usually spin twice a week. I really enjoy the classes. After you get used to your butt not hurting they are great workouts.:laugh: I usually burn around 500 calories in an hour class. I have a HRM that I wear in class.
  • cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I took my first spinning class Saturday...i really did enjoy it and my butt is not nearly as sore as I had anticipated!
  • dwalden
    dwalden Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike every morning before work and burn almost 1300 calories in a 45-50 session based on my HRM. I get my heart rate up to over 90% of my max. Could this mean my HRM is incorrect, or is my workout that good?
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I love spinning too. I bought a bike, and I ride as often as I an in addition to spin classes. My legs are stroooong!
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Can I ask a dumb question? Is spinning that machine like a bike with no wheels where you pedal?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I did my first spin class this morning and have mixed feelings. I'm not sure I'll take another one or not. I didn't burn up many more calories than I would have on my own and the music was LOUD and not my style. I didn't like the "push-ups" on the handlebars either. So, will have to think about if I'll go back for another class or not.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I could only do 1/2 of my spinning class last night :sad: .
    I hurt my knee this weekend and thought I could make it through the class but no such luck!

It better be healed my Wednesdays class. I don't think I could survive a whole week without spinning. :explode:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I did my first spin class this morning and have mixed feelings. I'm not sure I'll take another one or not. I didn't burn up many more calories than I would have on my own and the music was LOUD and not my style. I didn't like the "push-ups" on the handlebars either. So, will have to think about if I'll go back for another class or not.

This is a controversial thing in spinning circles. I'm considering getting certified to teach spinning by madd dog athletics, the company who invented spinning. Here's something from their manual: "if you wouldn't do it on a road bike, you shouldn't do it in a spin class". So all the crazy high tempo musics and "push-ups" on the bike are actually not hard-core, traditional spinning sanctioned.

If you go to the spinning website, they should help you find a certified instructor near you. There's a LOT of craziness in classes that are called "spinning". Some instructors are asking students to do things that are completely unsafe (like standing sprints with no resistance on the fly-wheel).

OK, I'm climbing down off this soap box now.

Be safe on your bodies out there, everybody! You only get one.:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    I ride my bike every morning before work and burn almost 1300 calories in a 45-50 session based on my HRM. I get my heart rate up to over 90% of my max. Could this mean my HRM is incorrect, or is my workout that good?

90% of your max is actually too high. You're training in an anaerobic zone, which will probably leave you feeling really fatigued afterward. If you need to lower the resistance to lower your heart rate, or slow down your pace. . .I would do that.

I sometimes spike this high (like on a speed burst) but it's not good to stay there for long periods of time. I currently do cardio in the 65-75% range. . .and have discovered that I feel really good after a workout like this, as opposed to exhausted like I used to.

Just my opinion. . .
  • arjames82
    Options
    I'm a spin-a-holic, too! I've been doing it for about a year now, and it has really helped to improve my cardiovascular fitness level. I still burn tons of calories in class, depending on how hard I push it. I usually average between 850 to 900 calories on a good day...slightly less if I have worked out with my trainer prior to the class and I am already beat down. I try to go at least 3 times a week.

When I first started it was pretty hard on my knees, which I thought was strange because it's pretty low impact. But since I invested in a good pair of cycling cleats, everything's been perfect.
  • shorerider
    Options

This is a controversial thing in spinning circles. I'm considering getting certified to teach spinning by madd dog athletics, the company who invented spinning. Here's something from their manual: "if you wouldn't do it on a road bike, you shouldn't do it in a spin class". So all the crazy high tempo musics and "push-ups" on the bike are actually not hard-core, traditional spinning sanctioned.

If you go to the spinning website, they should help you find a certified instructor near you. There's a LOT of craziness in classes that are called "spinning". Some instructors are asking students to do things that are completely unsafe (like standing sprints with no resistance on the fly-wheel).

OK, I'm climbing down off this soap box now.

Be safe on your bodies out there, everybody! You only get one.:flowerforyou:

Well, at one point, she had everyone 'crouch" and reach FORWARD of the handlebars and grab this knob adjustment on the front of the bike--I thought "um, no" so didn't do that.

I also didn't like being kept standing pedaling for sometimes 3-4 minutes or longer--too hard on the knees (which is one reason some have hurting knees after wards probably).
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Lots of instructors are unfamiliar with how bikes should be set up. I rode with my seat too low for two years, until I was ready to quit because my knees hurt so badly.

Then, one day an actual certified instructor had me stand up in my clips, moved my seat up and I was miraculously cured. Be careful out there. . .:flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    Options
    I had to chuckle though--I was the only "athena" in there (that's the term cyclists use for us women over 200 pounds; men over 200 are Clydes); the others were trim and fit looking. The instructor kind of gave me this look when I walked in and asked if I had taken a Spin class before. I said no but that I cycle a lot--to which she just kind of was like "uh-huh." And said, well, take it easy the first class.

That did it! I was determined I would blew them all away--I kept up with every thing she did (except grabbing the adjustment knob thing) and even when she said we could ease up a bit, I kept pedaling away! I represented us Athenas proudly!
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Can I ask a dumb question? Is spinning that machine like a bike with no wheels where you pedal?

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN SPINNING?