Eating after 7pm?

Options
Should you or shouldn't you????? I usually don't go to bed until after 12am most nights b/c my husband works 2nd shift and I like to be awake when he gets home. Should I have a snack? I never want to go too long without eating. One of my friends says that it's okay as long as you don't eat 2 hours before bedtime. Just wondering what you guys think about this situation....

Replies

• ncrissey460
    ncrissey460 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You should stop eating 2-3 hours before bed. If everyone stopped eating after 7pm what would most of the workfoce do that worked over night! lol!
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    We dont even have our evening meal till after 7, by the time my husband gets home from work its after 7. I dont suppose the time makes much difference. But Im sure the 'experts' will be along soon enough!
  • amobeth
    amobeth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have heard so many different things on this.... I too am up late a lot because of my husband's schedule. I have been allowing my self a snack at night that is high protien and low carbs. Like almonds or low fat string cheese and have been losing weight.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I routinely eat a small snack at bedtime and haven't had any problems.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Its fine, 3hrs before bed, some times not often I have eaten up to 10 I just dont start eating till about noon the next day, so I dont go over calories.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    When I began this journey almost five years ago, the dietician I saw told me that you SHOULD eat in the evening......that going too long between meals wasn't good for your metabolism. Keeping your meals more evenly spaced keeps your metabolism functioning at a higher level all the time.
    Good luck,
    Kaye
  • ivy2009
    ivy2009 Posts: 75
    Options
    The 7 pm guideline is for the average person who might be in bed by 10 pm. You are not the average as you go to bed around or after midnight. Additionally, if a reasonable healthy snack quells your hunger so that you do not stand at the pantry and graze, then eat a healthy reasonable snack, such as low fat yogurt or low fat cottage cheese or bowl of healthy cereal with low fat milk or almond milk. The 80 to 200 calories is small if you really are hungry, compared to not eating and going on a binge and blowing your day.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner after 7 so if this were true, it would certainly be a problem for me. I never eat within 2 hours or so of bed time, mainly because I don't like that full feeling when I am trying to sleep.
  • lizbanks
    lizbanks Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat anything after 11 at night. My husband usually gets home around 6ish but I don't like eating a big meal that late so I'll have my dinner around 4 and eat something light when he gets home and then something later before we go to bed. I usually do yogurt and nuts. I just stay away from sugary stuff.
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever time you want as long as you stay within your calorie range. The not eating after certain time is a myth.....people usually do this to prevent adding more calories by eating later at night. I eat whatever time I want and I make sure I am within my calorie range. This has not hindered my weight loss whatsoever.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    When I began this journey almost five years ago, the dietician I saw told me that you SHOULD eat in the evening......that going too long between meals wasn't good for your metabolism. Keeping your meals more evenly spaced keeps your metabolism functioning at a higher level all the time.
    Good luck,
    Kaye

I used to eat nothing after 7 ... and I hated eating breakfast, so I didn't. I never do either of these anymore.

Using my own results as a guide (and realizing everyone is different), I agree with Kaye - and it's even more important if you are like me ... I'm insulin resistant. I find a small *healthy* snack later in the evening helps me to sleep better and I wake up looking forward to breakfast b/c my metabolism has not slowed down so much at night and I am hungry in the morning.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner between 5:30-7:30, then a snack/dessert about 2 - 3 hours later. It is usually fruit and yogurt, or fruit and ice cream, sometimes cereal, sometimes popcorn....I always have the extra calories for it and then some:) I am in bed pretty early, though...we are in bed by 9 -9:30, and sleeping within and hour. Granted, I am also up at 6 every morning....

Probably the worst health habit I have is sleep eating...like sleep walking, but I eat. Luckily I am sloppy when I do it, so I see the evidence in the morning! There are a lot of funny stories that go with this condition. I try to always make sure I have a couple hundred calories just in case I sleep eat. Last night it was a slice of whole wheat with butter. I even used a measuring spoon. I mean, I had no recollection of doing it until I saw the stuff on the counter...then I went and logged it!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Please read the study that is posted by Martin Berkhan that is on the front page of his website in big letters called the Late Night Eating Myth.

http://www.leangains.com
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Please read the study that is posted by Martin Berkhan that is on the front page of his website in big letters called the Late Night Eating Myth.

I am printing this so I can read it on my way home today on mass transit! Thank you for sharing!
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I think really the only ones that shouldn't eat close to bed time are those that have reflux issues, gastric bypass patients, and the like.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I usually have my 'dessert' snack about 1-2 hours before bed. Usually Emerald dark cocoa almonds or yogurt w/ a sprinkle of nutty granola. I used to not care what I ate before bed, and if it was carbs, I always woke up starving and wanting to eat everything in the kitchen!!!
  • Julijulz
    Julijulz Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Thank you guys so much for your insight into this "myth". I was never extremely concerned about it, but I always wondered what everyone else is doing as well. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who has a snack after dinner. And I will definitely read the article. I'm getting ready to copy and paste now. Thank you all!!!!!!! :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options

Thank you guys so much for your insight into this "myth". I was never extremely concerned about it, but I always wondered what everyone else is doing as well. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who has a snack after dinner. And I will definitely read the article. I'm getting ready to copy and paste now. Thank you all!!!!!!! :)

A direct link to this http://www.leangains.com/2011/06/is-late-night-eating-better-for-fat.html
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever time you want as long as you stay within your calorie range. The not eating after certain time is a myth.....people usually do this to prevent adding more calories by eating later at night. I eat whatever time I want and I make sure I am within my calorie range. This has not hindered my weight loss whatsoever.
    I feel exactly the same way! it will not hinder your loss, just stay within your calories and try to make all of your calories count by eating quality foodsl! :smile: good luck!
  • jaredhy
    jaredhy Posts: 4
    Options
    The mantra I have always heard is "after eight, straight to weight." But the not eating 2-3 hours before bed rule, is a good rule to live by.