What is a good substitute for potato chips?

Options

Replies

• PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Nuts, rice cakes, claussen pickles.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Veggie Chips or Veggie Sticks. I usually find them in our organic section and they are amazing. I can (and have) eaten the whole bag at one sitting. They are so much better tasting than regular chips.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Pop chips are pretty good

Love those! The BBQ is so yummy!
  • JoJo1953
    JoJo1953 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    agree
  • 1nsands
    1nsands Posts: 27
    Options
    Rice chips. They're awesome!
  • SammieRae43
    SammieRae43 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Special K Chips are outstanding. They currently come in two flavors, sour cream & onion, salt & pepper. 27 chips for 110 calories.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Popchips are awesome. Sometimes I get the Utz No Salt Chips.

Sweet potato fries and popcorn are good substitutes for me.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/raeannesisson/5950862727/in/set-72157627100623285/ <-- veggie chips that i get at my local nutrition store. these are different than the ones that are "fake" and just pieced together and aren't actually made of veggies... and they are CHOW. (not the most healthy... but amazing)

i agree on the pop chips.... and... BEANITOS are my absolute favorite sub for chips. i even made a video on them and the company sent me free stuff! LOL. but i love them so much.... here's a link to the video. http://www.flickr.com/photos/raeannesisson/5950862727/in/set-72157627100623285/
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    PS genisoy crisps (like rice cakes, made of soy) are GREAT. i am big on snacks that are nutritionally dense too... not just empty calories. a lot of the main stream stuff is empty calories. just sayin'
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Popcorn - you can make your own with kernels, a microwave, and a paper lunch bag. It's a great way to control your sodium and calories.

1) Put 3 tbsp of kernels in a paper lunch bag
    2) Fold the bag down 1/2" at a time until you have 3-4 folds
    3) Lay the bag on its side in the microwave
    4) Use the popcorn setting or microwave on high, listening for the pops to become a few seconds apart
    5) Season and serve (I like to use kosher salt and garlic powder)
  • antonio823
    antonio823 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I sometimes snack on Sensible Portions Veggie Straws:)
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options

BBQ and Sour Cream and Onion .. yummm :tongue:
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I like Lay's Light chips. I'm not a "clean eater" so the Olestra thing doesn't bother me and I don't get any kind of tummy problems from them either. You can have around 20 chips for 0 fat and 70 calories. I think they are yummy!!!

Yeah these are good too. Never seem to find them in my local grocery store. But I have had them and they are yummy.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I just tried Pop Chips for the first time a couple weeks ago. Oh.My.God. So little calories and all of the crunchy salty potatoey goodness that I love in chips.
  • gr82run
    gr82run Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I never heard of pop chips? Are they available in the south? What's the brand name? I just eat Cape Cod 40% reduced fat kettle chips. 23 chips are 140 calories, and they are, well, Potato Chips! :wink:
  • Lovinmyself1st
    Options
    I also LOVE the Special K Cracker Chips.. Sour Cream and Onion!!
  • bkweibel
    bkweibel Posts: 77
    Options
    I just made some kale chips for the first time and they pretty darn good. I tore the leaves from the stem (don't use the stems) and laid them on a baking sheet. Spray them with non stick cooking spray and then I sprinkled mine with sea salt, pepper, and a bit of garlic powder. Bake at 350 for 5-7 minutes. They are unique, but I find them pretty darn good!
  • BecomingMyself
    Options
    I have the same fight with potato chips. They are so good. I decided not to give them up, just eat a smaller portion. I buy the 1 oz size bags and eat 2 bags a week, but only after I exercise. I find that I crave them less when I'm exhausted and enjoying them. That method has worked for me since April 2011. Completely eliminating something I love doesn't work for me, learning to control how much and when I eat it does. I hope you're able to find something that works for you equally as well.
  • ErikaSwenson
    ErikaSwenson Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Looking through other forums and stumbled across this...the "Savory" section should be applicable and the "Sweet" was just for fun! The original post was from MFP member baggins706 :)

50 BEST Low Calorie SNACKS 115-125 Calories (August 2010 Issue of GOOD HOUSEKEEPING)

SWEET

1. 11 M&M Pretzel Chocolate Candies
    2. 1 pkg. Q.bel Dark Chocolate Wafer Rolls
    3. 1 Deep Chocolate VitaTop VitaMuffin + ¼ cup raspberries
    4. 1 Van’s Natural Food Lite Totally Natural Waffle + 1 ½ tsp. Nutella
    5. 2 scoops Ciao Bella Orange Sorbet
    6. 14 Quaker True Delights Multigrain Fiber Crisps Wild Blueberry
    7. 1 Breyers Smooth & Dreamy Chocolate Covered Strawberry Bar
    8. 1 pack Kellogg’s Special K Fruit Crisps + Iced chai tea + ¼ cup fat-free milk
    9. ½ cup Edy’s/Dreyer’s Slow Churned Yogurt Blends In Tart Mango + ¼ cup blackberries
    10. 4 oz. light yogurt + ½ cup Nature’s Path Crunchy Vanilla Sunrise cereal
    11. 1 Breyers Inspirations Natural Vanilla Bean Low fat Yogurt + 1 Mini Nilla Wafer
    12. 1 Jell-O Caramel Crème Mousses Temptations + ½ large apple, sliced for dipping
    13. 1 pkg. Nabisco 100 Cal Fudge + 1 cup iced coffee with ¼ cup fat-free milk
    14. 1 Kashi TLC Fruit & Grain Bar in Dark Chocolate Coconut
    15. 1 pkg. Peeled Snacks Much-Ado-About-Mango
    16. ½ cup Yogi Granola Crisps (Fresh Strawberry Crunch or Baked Cinnamon Raisin)
    17. 10 Barbara’s Snackimals Chocolate Chip Animal Cookies
    18. 15 Shale Snacks Cranberry Pecan Biscotti Crisps
    19. One 100 Calorie Pack Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds + 1 Tbsp. Ocean Spray Craisins
    20. 1 Kozy Shack Chocolate Hazelnut Pudding + 3 raspberries and 3 strawberries
    21. 7 Nabisco Nilla Wafers
    22. 1 Starbucks Grande Iced Caffé Latte with Soy Milk
    23. 42 Pepperidge Farm Vanilla Grahams Goldfish
    24. One 1-oz. pkg. Smartfood Cranberry Almond Popcorn Clusters
    25. ½ Cup Blue Bunny Caramel Praline Crunch All-Natural Frozen Yogurt

SAVORY

26. 22 Original Popchips
    27. 20 Kettle Brand Baked Potato Chips in Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
    28. 6 oz. Low Sodium V8 Juice + 1 Large hard-boiled egg
    29. 1 cup Campbell’s V8 Garden Vegetable Blend Soup
    30. 2 Blue Horizon Organic Indian-Style Vegetable Spring Rolls + ¼ cup edamame
    31. 3 Daella’s Biscuits for cheese, Hazelnut with Figs + 1 Tbsp Chavrie Original Fresh Goat Cheese
    32. 2 Tbsp. Wholly Guacamole Classic + 5 Food Should Taste Good Cheddar Chips
    33. 2 John Wm Macy’s WheatSticks in Garlic Romano + 1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese
    34. 5 Mulitgrain Food Should Taste Good Chips + 1 low-fat cheese stick
    35. 13 Terra Sweet Potato Chips
    36. 11 McCain Sweet Potato Crinkle Cut Fries
    37. 1 cup McDougall’s Black Bean Soup
    38. 7 Beanitos Pinto Bean & Flax Chips + 3 Tbsp salsa
    39. 3 Kitchen Tables Bakers Sesame Parmesan Crisps + 1.5 oz. deli ham
    40. 7 Snyder’s of Hanover Multigrain Sticks
    41. 1 Mini Babybel Light + 3 Ak-Mak Whole Wheat Stone Ground Sesame Crackers
    42. ½ Thomas’ 100% Whole Wheat Bagel Thins + 2 tsp. peanut butter
    43. 3 Tbsp. Alouette Light Garlic & Herb Cheese + 6 endive leaves and 2 tsp. pine nuts
    44. Jolly Time Healthy Pop Butter 100 Calorie Mini bag + 1 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
    45. 1 small pear + 1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Blue Cheese
    46. 14 SunChips Original Flavor Multigrain Snacks
    47. 1 Cabot 50% Light Cheddar Snack Pack + 20 red grapes
    48. 3 Tbsp. Sabra Peppadew Hummus + 10 baby carrot
    49. 16 Quaker Rice Snacks Cheddar Cheese Quakes
    50. 19 Garden of Eatin’ Baked Yellow Chips
  • polarduke
    polarduke Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Self control