Inspired - but for how long?

Options
Hi - I'm Susie & I'm new here... relatively. I keep trying to get myself on a program and then something throws me off. Last night, I was watching some Extreme Makeover/Weight Loss show & was inspired by a woman who lost 180 lb. Seems like if she can do that, I can lose 30 lb., right?

I am my own worst enemy though - I start out with the best of intentions and then get back into my old, bad habits -

At my last annual check up at thedr., I have gained 10 lb in one year - 6 lb. of that was within the past 6 mo. because I lost my mother, my father-in-law and my best HS friend and have admittedly been careless.

Any encouragement would be appreciated & welcome - and any tips that you can provide to a carb. junkie, old lady, slacker to change her ways are JOYOUSLY WELCOME.

Bless you all & good luck in your fight.

Replies

• nancytollefson
    nancytollefson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Susie,

I am so sorry for the loss of you mom! I lost my mom lots of years ago and let me say you probably won't remember much from this year! Screw the pounds! Don't even give them another thought. You are doing really well to just get out there and connect! Have you done any kind of grief recovery programs? Take care of your head and heart (emotions) and your body will follow. Cut yourself some slack gir! You will be in my prayers.

Nancy T.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    soo sorry for your loss!! Friend me if you would like, I'm online quite often and will try my best to motivate you!
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    welcome; this weight problem in the country is a hard thing to deal with......but as humans we are going to mess up (even me) but its all about gettting back on that train and not giving up. I have faith u can do this.........it takes time to achieve but after the achievement u will look back and say" I did do this....cheer-up and smile your special too.
  • happybrooke
    happybrooke Posts: 153
    Options
    Welcome! You can do this!! Take that inspiration and run with it!!

What works for me:

I take one day at a time.
    Weigh in once a week
    Measure every couple of weeks.
    I promise myself exercise 5-6 days a week.
    If I don't feel like exercising - then I tell myself that I only have to do it for 10 mins. *
    - *once I get on the elliptical I usually never do less than 30 - 40 mins, but sometimes I have to bargain with myself just to get
    started. Once I get going, its easy to keep at it!
    I act like working out is my job. It just needs to be done. Just like I have to get up and go to work everyday.
    If I have a bad day, I try to make tomorrow a better day.
    If I make a bad food choice, I try to make the next choice a good one. OR workout extra hard!
    I recently learned that setting mini-goals REALLY helps keep me motivated! I feel more accomplished because I feel like I am accomplishing more!
  • Nekoashi
    Nekoashi Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss! I know what you mean! I easily fall back into my old habits and am trying to to get back on track myself! I've been dealing with my hubby and I both being unemployed so depression really is taking its toll on us. I'm trying to be good and regularly come on to mfp even when I know I am eating bad and am not going to record those calories or I don't really know what the calories were for the day. I try to give encouragement to my friends and read some of their inspiring words to encourage me!

Feel free to add me as a friend :) and anyone else who's looking for some support and friendship :)
  • sahalcomb
    sahalcomb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    No real words of wisdom other than you're worth it!!! It's so hard to put yourself at the top of the priority list...or at least that's how it started for me. But now I feel like I've got to take better care of myself for a better future. I watch those shows like you were talking about & think the same as you. If they can do it, surely I can too. Just log in daily to help with what you're eating (I didn't realize I was eating so many calories!), exercise daily (anything is better than what I was doing!) and try to make these things habit long enough to see a difference in your body and on the scale! Stick with it...you can do it!!!
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    P.S.. Im sorry about your loss; i loss my mother in december........from cancer. im still greiving also; it something we will never forget. smile im sure she is looking down protecting u.
  • Pickles64
    Pickles64 Posts: 13
    Options
    Nancy, you're so SWEET! Thank you -

Yes, I have been taking advantage of my work's grief counseling program and crying every single chance I get, just so I don't "table" the feelings & have them bubble over later. I am, generally, a very cheerful person, so actually letting myself feel like crap is a step in the right direction for me... I usually push the feelings down (with food probably) and pretend everything is hunky dory.

I appreciate the prayers and positive vibes... I never thought anyone would respond so quickly & with such genuine caring & love.

Bless your heart - my new mantra is: This too shall pass. :)

Cheers,
    Suz
  • Pickles64
    Pickles64 Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm sorry about your mom - My mom was conjestive heart failure. She got a pacemaker in March and we thought it would help to give her a little more time, but no such luck :(

My mother lost her mother when she was 19 (before I was born), and she used to say you NEVER get over the loss of your mother... boy, is that the truth. I just have to believe she's with me all the time now, instead of just when I visit.

XO
  • riverweed
    riverweed Posts: 10
    Options
    Hey, sorry for all you've been through. I'm a big emotional eater so significant events in my life are usually accompanied by drastic swings in weight... but I find that MFP helps get me in check, both before eating and after eating anything. I think you will love it here. : ) Good luck!! xx