protien

what happens if you go over your aloud amount of protien for the day??

Replies

• anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    you will cut your cravings. Feel less hungry longer and probably burn more calories to burn the protein
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Nothing as long as you don't go over your caloric intake for the day based on your goal.

You're fine.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    my goal is honestly to try to go over everyday. I try to eat around 100 grams. but I'm trying to get a 6 pack and I ususally run like 6 miles a day + weight training 3 times a week, so I kind of need it, but it depends on your lifestyle. It's really not bad to go over on protein
  • pinknsassyemt
    pinknsassyemt Posts: 68 Member
    My nutritionist has me set at 60-70g of protein a day. The typical max intake is 1g per goal weight pound.. So if your goal weight is 150lbs then 150g protein is still safe. Unless you have kidney issues going over isn't such a big deal. Right now I average 90-100g without really trying. MFP sets me at 46g per day, so I go over ALOT EVERYDAY according to MFP. If you have concerns you can always talk to your doctor or a nutritionist. Also if your going over a lot, push that water to help flush those kidneys...
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Protein is like fuel for your muscles, you need it. Just don't go over on calories.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    I've heard the protein numbers on MFP are low.

IMHO protein is key in almost every meal encounter you have throughout the day.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Generally nothing. But if you're on a very high protein diet, you can have some negative side effects. It puts a lot of stress on your kidneys. And as a woman (same age as I), you have to make sure you're getting enough calcium because high levels of protein (especially from animal sources) leech calcium from your bones.

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Side_Effects_of_Too_Much_Protein_in_the_Diet
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    yeah, the protein setting on MFP is really low. I customized my setting for 40/40/20 for carbs/protein/fat and that seems to be the recommendation I see from many trainers.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Nothing. There is a million and one ways to calculate your protein needs. You can do it by your weight 200lbs/2.2 = 90 grams. This is the base. There is a range of .8 to 1.8 that people use. 90 X 1.8 = 162 grams. All I did was convert your weight into kilograms. You can do it by the amount of calories you're eating. That usually goes from 10% to 35% of your daily intake of calories. For example, if you take in 2,000 calories a day.

35/100 x 2000 = 700/4 = 175 grams. This is the maximum.
    10/100 x 2000 = 200/4 = 50 grams. This is the minimum.

This is the reason you see on some labels 4 calories in a gram of protein. 4 calories in a gram of carbohydrate. 9 calories in a gram of fat. 7 calories in a gram of alcohol.

The lazy man usually will just screw it, and say weight x .8, and eat that amount of protein per day. 200 X .8 = 160 grams. Notice that is very close to my 200/2.2 X 1.8 calculation.
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Really that much !?

181x.8=144.8

My average is usually in the 60's, could this be why I am not dropping the pounds and constantly hungry ? That is still almost 20 over what myfitnesspal iPhone tracker tells me. It says my goal is only 45 grams!!

Or let's do it this way

35/100 x 1400 =122.5
    10/100 x 1400=35

I guess it's calculating a smidge higher than the low end...hmm...