FINALLY! After 6 week plateau, 6/10 of a pound loss!

Options
shorerider
shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
6 weeks of nothing but you guys kept me hanging in there with your great stories and jokes and tips and encouragement! Yesterday, I realized I hadn't measured in over a month and discovered that although I had plateaued for 6 weeks!! :grumble: that I had lost 1/2" on my waist and a 1/2" on my hips and 1/2" on my thighs!

Then, this morning, I jump on the scale again, expecting to see no joy but I've lost 6/10 of a pound! yupi3ti.gifyupi3ti.gif

Now, I just hope it keeps steady loss. I'm SICK of plateaus :angry:

Replies

• shorerider
    Options
    6 weeks of nothing but you guys kept me hanging in there with your great stories and jokes and tips and encouragement! Yesterday, I realized I hadn't measured in over a month and discovered that although I had plateaued for 6 weeks!! :grumble: that I had lost 1/2" on my waist and a 1/2" on my hips and 1/2" on my thighs!

Then, this morning, I jump on the scale again, expecting to see no joy but I've lost 6/10 of a pound! yupi3ti.gifyupi3ti.gif

Now, I just hope it keeps steady loss. I'm SICK of plateaus :angry:
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    party-smiley-551.gif
    Way to go!!!
    party-smiley-565.gif
  • dewpearl
    Options
    P.S. You gave someone the advice to go bicycling other day. Donno about her, but I did and loved it! :love: So thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    0002013F.gif
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    That's soooooo great! Congratulations! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Good for you!:flowerforyou:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Good for you, Shore!:drinker:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Such a good feeling. :flowerforyou:
  • GettingThin08
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: AWESOME KEEP IT UP:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Good job, that's great ! I completely feel your pain... I think I'm entering that stage where weight loss is really hard... it's a cycle for me- for 3 weeks I see no change, then the next week bang I lose 2-3 lbs, then 3 more weeks at no change.... etc. Hopefully my moment is coming too! :drinker:
  • dewpearl
    Options
    Hopefully my moment is coming too! :drinker:

Hang on, in there! It's amazing to browse through your pics and see the progress. I'm so impressed!

I'm worse, going up, going down. It's just incredible when you have set a goal to be so disappointed with the weight you're at, which a couple of months back seemed like a dream. Don't you agree?

Anyway, we'll get to "0 to lose", yeah! :drinker:
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!:flowerforyou:
    I am sooo happy for you!!
    ~Roni
  • shorerider
    Options
    slider_thankyou.gif
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Haha, I told you!! This is just a waiting game hehe. It will come off. :flowerforyou: Awesome job!
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    thats awesome!!! I have been yo-yoing the same 1.5 pound the past 2 weeks i gain it i lose it but i upped my exericse and am determined to ditch it and carry on! but in the mean time I have lost 1.5" off my thighs and 1" off my waist whoo hooo

Keep it up!!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Haha, I told you!! This is just a waiting game hehe. It will come off. :flowerforyou: Awesome job!

Yep. Shout-out to SBS on that one! I'm really hoping it keeps dropping. Oh, and I went back to weight training, too, at the gym. Interestingly enough, I've discovered that it causes my BG levels to raise, whereas cardio drops it. I was very disappointed after my 50 minute spin class followed by 20 minutes lifting to see my BG at 175 :sick: :angry: :mad: An hour on my bike would have dropped to 80 or lower usually. I did some checking on a diabetes forum, and SBS probably already knows the answer, it's all related to our friend glycogen.

This is what I came up with--alot of you scientific type talk but I was able to follow most of it. Also explained why I had a low tonight, I think.

SBS--does all of the below sound right? Because from it, it seems that I need to do weights BEFORE cardio or I'll have to cut back on my breakfast, which I really hate to do. I LOVE my cereal in the mornings! But it seems that if I do weights FIRST, then cardio, my BG levels should drop as expected, right?

_______________________________________________________________________________
    When exercise becomes anaerobic, glucose burns without the benefit of oxygen. And up to 17 times more of it is required. Because such large amunts of glucose are not available from the bloodstream and via the insulin transport mechanism, it is taken directly from the glycogen stored in the muscle. Insulin is not needed for this. Insulin is used for the glucose to get into muscle cells so that it can be stored as glycogen. But it is not needed when glycogen derived glucose is burned in the muscle.

The hormone Glucagon is required for glycogen to be turned into glucose, and it is secreted into the bloodstream when adrenalin levels go up. Glucose made in this way from muscle glycogen can not get into the bloodstream and is burned by the muscle in which it was stored. But Glycogen stored in the liver is converted to glucose at the same time (because of the glucagon surging through the veins), and this glucose goes directly into the bloodstream. This is why anaerobic exercise causes blood glucose to go up.

Insulin requirements don't really come into it. Having said that, if insulin levels are low blood glucose is likely to rise sharply after anaerobic exercise. Lots of glucose is produced by the liver via gluconeogenesis so that glycogen stores can be rebuilt. And insulin is required for this.

As far as the pattern of energy usage is concerned, glucose is the primary source during the first 15-20 minutes of aerobic exercise. Initially, 70% of energy comes from carbohydrates. But it turns around after 20 minutes, after which fat becomes the primary source of energy. After you have been exercising for a while, 70% of the energy used comes from fat. But if the exercise becomes anaerobic, glycogen reserves (which are essentially glucose) will be drawn on. And the muscles will use as much glucose as they need.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    The only thing that I've seen differently is the very end, but that's not a constant anyway. It may take more time for fat to be used primarily--closer to an hour, not 20 minutes. Everything else is right though. Doing weights first would work result in a lower BG when followed by cardio, and IMO is just a better idea. I have always done weights first to prevent injury due to fatigue.
  • shorerider
    Options
    The only thing that I've seen differently is the very end, but that's not a constant anyway. It may take more time for fat to be used primarily--closer to an hour, not 20 minutes. Everything else is right though. Doing weights first would work result in a lower BG when followed by cardio, and IMO is just a better idea. I have always done weights first to prevent injury due to fatigue.

See, I've always heard "cardio to warm up then weights" but after I saw just how my BG went up, I figured something was out of whack with that--at least for me. Thanks again! gym again this morning, and weights first it is and see how that works because I really really really didn't want to give up my Cinnamon Streusal mini-wheats!!!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Ok-so did weights first today then 45 minutes of circuit training cardio and my BG level was 98 afterwards! w00t.gif So I think that's the key for me.

Also, reference how quick the body goes from burning carbs to burning fat for energy, do you think being a diabetic would impact that and if so, how quickly? Since I got that info from a diabetic site, I'm wondering if it's referencing specifically the diabetic body? Would us "D" people turn to converting fat for fuel faster for some reason?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Ok-so did weights first today then 45 minutes of circuit training cardio and my BG level was 98 afterwards! w00t.gif So I think that's the key for me.

Also, reference how quick the body goes from burning carbs to burning fat for energy, do you think being a diabetic would impact that and if so, how quickly? Since I got that info from a diabetic site, I'm wondering if it's referencing specifically the diabetic body? Would us "D" people turn to converting fat for fuel faster for some reason?

There's a big difference between a 'warmup' and actual cardio. A warmup would be 5 minutes of aerobic work and another 5-10 minutes of dynamic stretching. It's very different from 20-60 minutes of moderate intensity cardio, much less taxing.

Being a diabetic can effect what you use for energy, but only in certain circumstances. If you had uncontrolled insulin-dependent diabetes, you'd be using primarily fatty acids in the form of ketones, but only because the insulin wouldn't be able to send glucose into the cells. In that case, you wouldn't want to exercise anyway, because you'd be very sick! A person with controlled diabetes would function pretty much the same as anyone else.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!