Hot or Cold water

Options
In one of my trip to Malysia I realize that they always serve water at room temperature if you want cold you have to ask for ice when I ask why they did that. Someone told me " about what happend to fat or oil when it get cold, it clump up" They they say that with warm water your body works the fat eaiser than cold water. Do anyone has any more input on that. Myth or fact?

Replies

• cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have heard a glass of warm water helps with constipation. Not sure if that is fact or myth.....
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about Malysia culture...all I know is that cold water is best because your body uses energy to warm it.
    Translation cold water = calorie burn.
  • dree77
    dree77 Posts: 52
    Options
    the only thing I know about water is, the colder the better. It's considered a negative calorie drink - meaning your body actually has to burn calories to warm up the water when you drink it. It's such an easy way to burn calories, and lets face it - cold water just tastes better! :)
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I've heard that too, but never took it to heart. Wonder what everyone else's imput will be...
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i have heard cold water ups your metabolism
  • britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have sensitive teeth, so I typically drink room temperature. Sometimes I'll put an ice cube or two in it if I need something refreshing. But I always drink through a straw if it has ice in it! :)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I really don't think it matters enough to even consider whether to drink water at room temperature, warm or cold. Just drink it at whatever temperature you enjoy.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    There was a recent German study I heard about that said you can burn approximately 50 more calories by drinking cold water. The burn comes from your body having to heat it up. It's not a lot but over time it can add up. Personally I like my water room temp when exercising, it seems to go down easier. But when I'm not working out I like it cold. Best of both worlds? lol
  • highfiveornot
    Options
    i heard it was hot tea that was good after eating
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    yuck! i cant drink room temp water. i cant drink water period unless it is full of ice.
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I drink my water freezing cold, like most cold drinks even if they have been in the fridge I will put loads of ice in. But hey thats just me, drinking cold drinks at room temp does not appeal to me at all unless it was proved I would lose an extra 3lbs a week lol
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about Malysia culture...all I know is that cold water is best because your body uses energy to warm it.
    Translation cold water = calorie burn.

That's what I always heard/read.

Either way I much prefer it ice cold. I can't drink water warm or at room temp. If I'm extremely thirsty I will but I gulp it down so fast I don't notice. I just can't drink room temp water...yuck.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've only heard that cold water irritates the bowels if you have diarrea. Other than that, I agree with not worrying about it. Just drink it how you like it. :o) I personally like it ice cold. Room temp water makes me gag. My MIL, on the otherhand, will only drink it from the tap.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Your body absorbs and utilises warm water faster and more easily than cold when it comes to rehydration.

So for drinking during exercise warm water is better. It's less of a shock to the system.