Apples make me hungry

Options
2»

Replies

• bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Interesting...I thought I was the only one. Porridge/oatmeal does the same for me...an hour after eating the stuff I'm STARVING!
    Oatmeal does the same for me. Shame, really. I love the stuff!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I love apples, I used to eat an apple a day, sometimes more. But I started noticing after I'd eat the apple, my stomach started growling and I was really hungry. It's only after I eat an apple. Why?

IDK but that happens to me too sometimes when I eat an apple. I still eat them though.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    It's because of the sugar in apples: it causes an insulin spike to deal with the increase in blood sugar, which causes your glucose to drop suddenly, which causes the feeling of hunger.

I don't think that's it, at least not for me because it happens even if I eat almonds or soynuts with it. And it doesn't happen with other fruits that have just as much sugar. For me, it is something about apples specifically.
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Apples do the same thing to me, but I tolerate oatmeal well. Maybe it has something to do with the fiber content, but then corn should send me over the top, which it doesn't. So, I don't eat apples much - I eat bananas.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    the same thing happens to me so now the only way i eat apples is if i'm eating it with some kind of protein (apple + peanut butter, apple and a handful of nuts, etc.)

it's because apples are almost completely made up of simple carbs so your body will digest it very quickly.

Although I agree with eating fruit with some kind of protein.... I disagree that apples are simple carbs. Apples are a complex carb, and one of the lowest fruits on the glycemic index.

your body will process them like it does with all carbohydrates. it's not GI that is important, but Glycemic Load.

1 medium apple = appr. 21 g of carbohydrate
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    apples make me hungry too. I noticed this loads, and checked on the net and its really common. They stimulate the appetite, so i actually avoid them now.
    Other fruits dont have the same effect
  • CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Apples make me really hungry too, i thought i was just weird.
  • CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Apples make me really hungry too, i thought i was just weird.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    the same thing happens to me so now the only way i eat apples is if i'm eating it with some kind of protein (apple + peanut butter, apple and a handful of nuts, etc.)

it's because apples are almost completely made up of simple carbs so your body will digest it very quickly.

Although I agree with eating fruit with some kind of protein.... I disagree that apples are simple carbs. Apples are a complex carb, and one of the lowest fruits on the glycemic index.

your body will process them like it does with all carbohydrates. it's not GI that is important, but Glycemic Load.

1 medium apple = appr. 21 g of carbohydrate

The GL for an apple is less than for grapes or a banana. But only the apple makes me hungry. There is something other than carbs at work. I still eat them though because they are so yummy and good for you and we get them free. :smile:
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Probably the apple has less fiber than the banana?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Probably the apple has less fiber than the banana?

Maybe, but it still wouldn't explain feeling hungry after an apple but not after candy.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Me too!... Glad to know I'm not the only one!
  • danarod23
    danarod23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    http://www.knowswhy.com/why-do-apples-make-me-hungry/

This explains it. I thought it was just a cooky thing that happened to me! No more apples for me! I can't deal with the hunger!
    Apples only with peanut butter for me and since I'm steering away (for now) I guess I've lost a fruit from my diet!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Because it's a tiny apple.

Eat a steak for god's sake.

Who thinks they're going to feel stuffed after an apple?