Flaxseed ?

Options
cartern1
cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
Hmm, ok I was in the Supermarket earlier and I noticed this "Linusit Organic Premium Milles Flaxsee - 450g" reduced to £1.80 (USD 2.95, EUR 1.13).

Ok i'd seen it in a few peoples diaries and read about it being healty in some way but honestly - I didn't have a clue what I was buying but it's seemed awfully cheap to pass up.

Anyway - I got 2 bags, first thing I'm happy about is the Omega 3 as I don't eat any seafood at all I worry I miss out on this.

What are the purported benefits? how do you guys use it? How regularly do you use it? Have you noticed any benefits?

Cheers,

Nik

Replies

• brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Flaxseed = good fat & good fiber. I put it in my smoothies, and oatmeal....when I remember that is!
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It was recommended to me as a way to reduce cholesterol. I typically sprinkle it on soups and salads although there are various bread, muffin and cookie recipes that call for flaxseed. BTW, flaxseed is best absorbed by the body when it is ground.
  • scante60
    scante60 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've added it to pasta salads in the way that you might otherwise add nuts.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I usually use it in smoothies or oatmeal if I remember. You can also sprinkle on pretty much anything like stews, soups and pastas.

BUT it has to be ground up. If it's not ground up then it just passes right through you since the nutrients are on the inside. I usually would blend a whole bunch up in the Magic Bullet (when I was still living with my parents since they have one...) and one I used that up, blend some more up so there's always some around.

Oh, and put into cookies or muffins or any baking. Just one more way to make baking a bit healthier if you love baked goods.
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I put it on cereal, in sauces, smoothies for my kids. Must be ground though.
  • Goal4Good
    Goal4Good Posts: 115
    Options
    I put a couple Tbsps of the ground or milled flaxseed in my fruit smoothies every morning. Also add it to oatmeal. My husband has high cholesteral and it raises the HDL (the good kind) so I add it every chance I get. I tried mixing a little into some meatloaf once but it hasn't a slightly sweet taste and it changed it a little. Its wasn't awful......its just that stuff is better in something sweet. Good mixed in FF cream cheese, peanut butter and spread on bread. Think of it as healthy fats. Very good for you.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember... The flaxseed MUST be ground in order for your body to process it and actually use the omegas. If you digest in its whole form, it'll just pass through your body like solid fiber.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I love flaxseed oil..l. haven't tried flaxseed plain. But anything mixed into yogurt or a smoothie can't be bad.

This is a good article: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed