I am having a hard time with balance.

yankeefamily05
yankeefamily05 Posts: 657
edited September 30 in Food and Nutrition
I can't seem to keep my sugars within 25g. What does everyone on here eat? I eat a decent amount of fruit. But what do I replace that with. I eat enough veggies. So what is it?

Is there a certain kind of fruit that isn't high in sugar? Bananas alone have 14g/medium size!

Please help!

Give me ideas for snacks that don't include fruit/veg.

Replies

• Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    I can't seem to keep my sugars within 25g. What does everyone on here eat? I eat a decent amount of fruit. But what do I replace that with. I eat enough veggies. So what is it?

Is there a certain kind of fruit that isn't high in sugar? Bananas alone have 14g/medium size!

Please help!

Basically, I don't even worry about sugar. Keep your total carbs under control, and you'll be fine.

Try to get your sugars from fruits and veggies, otherwise it doesn't really matter.

Obviously, that is only if you aren't diabetic or something..
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,366 Member
    That 25g of sugar can be used to track ADDED sugars. You don't want to totally eliminate natural sugars like fructose and lactose.

It's just that MFP doesn't differentiate. Keep your fruit to two servings a day and you're golden.
  • I can't seem to keep my sugars within 25g. What does everyone on here eat? I eat a decent amount of fruit. But what do I replace that with. I eat enough veggies. So what is it?

Please help!

Basically, I don't even worry about sugar. Keep your total carbs under control, and you'll be fine.

Try to get your sugars from fruits and veggies, otherwise it doesn't really matter.

Obviously, that is only if you aren't diabetic or something..

Definately not diabetic. I read one day that fruit sugar is the same as crap sugar. Than different the next. IDK what to think! But thank you for answering!:)
  • I could probably do that.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Sugar from fruits and veggies are not bad for you. It's the sugars from processed foods and drinks that are bad but MFP doesn't differentiate them unfortunately. Maybe I will suggest this to them. I don't eat processed so I don't monitor sugar at all.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    That 25g of sugar can be used to track ADDED sugars. You don't want to totally eliminate natural sugars like fructose and lactose.

It's just that MFP doesn't differentiate. Keep your fruit to two servings a day and you're golden.

This person is right. And berries (raspberries, blackberries and blueberries) are lower in sugars than bananas, apples and peaches. I am the type who requires at least one fruit a day and berries are my favorite in the summer.

You could also snack on light string cheese, fat free or low fat cottage cheese and veggies and hummus.
  • Sugar from fruits and veggies are not bad for you. It's the sugars from processed foods and drinks that are bad but MFP doesn't differentiate them unfortunately. Maybe I will suggest this to them. I don't eat processed so I don't monitor sugar at all.

Lets see. I do use sugar in my coffee ( but I picked up Truvia). And I eat yogurt some days...

Other than fruit, that is the sugar in my diet. I dont sit there and eat a twinkie lol!:0
  • That 25g of sugar can be used to track ADDED sugars. You don't want to totally eliminate natural sugars like fructose and lactose.

This person is right. And berries (raspberries, blackberries and blueberries) are lower in sugars than bananas, apples and peaches. I am the type who requires at least one fruit a day and berries are my favorite in the summer.

You could also snack on light string cheese, fat free or low fat cottage cheese and veggies and hummus.

I love berries. Maybe I will just not buy bananas all together and buy those.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    I watch calories, carbs, fat, protein, fiber and cholesterol on my diary. I know I consume more sugar than suggested, but I've been losing steadily since starting. I do try to keep my calories, carbs, fat and cholesterol under and protein and fiber over each day, but some days aren't perfect (today for example). I don't track sugar because I know I can't keep it under. I have a bite size piece of candy each day, to keep me from binging from feeling restricted.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    hey,

it's tough to get the carbs / sugars down, but have you considered eliminating fruit from your diet? Fruit is really just pure carbs, and you don't need them. If it's fiber you are after, soak raw nuts and reap the benefits of the fiber, micronutrients, and fat burning essential fatty acids!

Milk products have allot of sugars too, but balance out your carbs with fats and protiens - up your proteins every meal. Also, have you considered Stevia or Agave for sweeteners? Natural, and low carb ways to tweek your diet.

best wishes!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    I used to go to the endocronologist with my ex's mom (she's diabetic). He said a healthy amount of sugar for someone withOUT diabetes is around 40g a day. I don't know how accurate that is, but since he's the expert, not me, I go with that.
This discussion has been closed.