Not looking any different with weight loss

Hey guys,

So I got up to 124 pounds before joining MFP -- which is considered overweight for my height/frame. I started here at 112 though, and am at 102.5 pounds today, but I don't feel I look much different except for my double chin I was developing disappeared, and my boobs have gotten smaller...

I can't imagine I am the only one lol. Why is it that some people can lose 20 pounds and it is very noticeable, and some people can lose 20 pounds and hardly notice any change (aka me)?

Nobody has noticed I have lost weight, but I know I must have because my clothing isn't so tight anymore.

Thank you!

Replies

• Are you working out?
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Are you working out?
    Great question! I wasn't working out, but started working out this week (so...yesterday haha).
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Because you are already soo tiny!
  • lizbanks
    lizbanks Posts: 31 Member
    I suppose it depends on the amount of cardio you're doing. If you're not working out, you're not burning fat. It also depends where your fat is stored. I don't know where mine is and I don't know where I lost it, but I lost it none the less! I prefer taking my waist and hip measurements over looking at my weight. I've dropped three inches from my waist over the last three weeks. But I've been doing some serious cardio and weight training.
  • I have lost weight in the past not working out. You couldn't tell.

But now that I hit it up hard, You can.
  • evangpattismith
    evangpattismith Posts: 57 Member
    maybe because with big people it's more noticeable when we lose weight than with people who are already smaller, i don't know....i coun't tell a ifference with me til i started comparing pics, and my husban couln't either until i showed him pics..how tall are you?
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    you look so think i doubt it's possible to see if you could possibly look any thinner!!
  • I suppose it depends on the amount of cardio you're doing. If you're not working out, you're not burning fat. It also depends where your fat is stored. I don't know where mine is and I don't know where I lost it, but I lost it none the less! I prefer taking my waist and hip measurements over looking at my weight. I've dropped three inches from my waist over the last three weeks. But I've been doing some serious cardio and weight training.

exactly. I am the same way. I'm not much of a scale person. If it goes down Woot, if not oh well! I know I am still working hard!
  • maybe because with big people it's more noticeable when we lose weight than with people who are already smaller, i don't know....i coun't tell a ifference with me til i started comparing pics, and my husban couln't either until i showed him pics..how tall are you?

This too. I take pictures once a month.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Are you working out?
    Great question! I wasn't working out, but started working out this week (so...yesterday haha).

That'll make a difference. When you start toning up, you'll see a difference. Take pictures though so you can really see the difference.
  • i_love_vinegar
    I have lost weight in the past not working out. You couldn't tell.

But now that I hit it up hard, You can.

Wow! I hope the working out helps.
    Are you working out?

That'll make a difference. When you start toning up, you'll see a difference. Take pictures though so you can really see the difference.

I guess I will take some more photos. I have one where I feel I looked overweight but my mom is shorter than I am and took the pic so...maybe the angling. ^.^
  • kiwikara
    kiwikara Posts: 65 Member
    Workout and get some muscle definition, you as well as everyone else will notice! =)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I suspect it's because you weren't very big to start with, so the difference isn't so noticeable.
    But, don't be disheartened, just make sure you stay in a healthy weight range and you will know that you are doing the best thing for your own health and wellbeing - and that is what matters!
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    I think you will notice more of a difference as you work out and become more toned.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    you THINK you don't look any thinner but you do. the people who know me well have commented to me even though I can't see it.

What I can start to see is that I am getting my waist back and yes, the boobs are smaller. My thighs also don't look thinner but I can see that my trousers sit differently on them. It's small things but as long as you can see a slight difference it keeps you motivated to keep going!
  • i_love_vinegar
    I suspect it's because you weren't very big to start with, so the difference isn't so noticeable.
    But, don't be disheartened, just make sure you stay in a healthy weight range and you will know that you are doing the best thing for your own health and wellbeing - and that is what matters!

Thank you! I am doing this for my health as well, but I just find it odd as my mom can lose 5 pounds and it is very noticeable.
    maybe because with big people it's more noticeable when we lose weight than with people who are already smaller, i don't know....i coun't tell a ifference with me til i started comparing pics, and my husban couln't either until i showed him pics..how tall are you?

Thank you! This is more reason to take photos. I am 4'9.5" -- a legal midget haha.
    Because you are already soo tiny!

Thanks. Your comment made my day!
    LET ME TELL YOU lol I've lost 15 so far I think I really don't know, but people keep telling me and clothes that have almost never fit now are loose. However aside from my face I see no difference at all! With how much you've lost I'm positive there's a difference, you just may not realize it =] you'll get there one day it'll hit you!
    Congratulations! I sure hope it hits me one day like it did you. I feel healthier at least :)
    you THINK you don't look any thinner but you do. the people who know me well have commented to me even though I can't see it.

What I can start to see is that I am getting my waist back and yes, the boobs are smaller. My thighs also don't look thinner but I can see that my trousers sit differently on them. It's small things but as long as you can see a slight difference it keeps you motivated to keep going!
    Wow! Those are some awesome changes I haven't thought about...so maybe your thighs did get thinner actually :D
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    LET ME TELL YOU lol I've lost 15 so far I think I really don't know, but people keep telling me and clothes that have almost never fit now are loose. However aside from my face I see no difference at all! With how much you've lost I'm positive there's a difference, you just may not realize it =] you'll get there one day it'll hit you!
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    I guess with smaller/shorter people a couple of pounds makes a big difference. I see that your goal is 85 lbs...even at your tiny stature -- it seems really small. You should notice a difference in the way your clothes are fitting even if you don't 'see' the change. Often we can be our own harshest judge.
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    I dont see it at all in me, my clothes are a little loser, and no one has really said anything yet, except my mom.. I think maybe theyre afraid to, like asking somebody how far along they are :wink:
  • i_love_vinegar
    I guess with smaller/shorter people a couple of pounds makes a big difference. I see that your goal is 85 lbs...even at your tiny stature -- it seems really small. You should notice a difference in the way your clothes are fitting even if you don't 'see' the change. Often we can be our own harshest judge.

I agree 85 pounds is rather small, but it isn't a definite goal. I just chose it because I was able to stay in my early 90's without eating as healthy in the past. I am trying to eat healthier now, so 85 is just there in case. :)
    I dont see it at all in me, my clothes are a little loser, and no one has really said anything yet, except my mom.. I think maybe theyre afraid to, like asking somebody how far along they are :wink:

That's a good point! :smile:
    I'm at the edge of petite...height wise....when I lose my weight nobody notices until I lose at least 20 lbs...then it is like - wow, when did that happen? LOL....I can tell a difference though....

As long as YOU know what is going on and keep at it, people will notice soon enough. Sometimes they see it but they don't want to say anything right away thinking it may be "rude" or what if you were sick or something, then when you keep losing and get they'll get the courage to say something about it :)

Good luck on your journey!
    Awww thank you for your support! That's incredible that the same thing happens to you, and it really make me feel more encouraged to continue. Everything you said made a lot of sense. :smile: