Increasing calories

Options
MamaLeague
MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
How would you increase your calories? What would you add into your diet?

I am in starvation mode, I'm certain. I'm really trying to increase my calories while staying within my acceptable ranges. MFP has me eating 1370 per day, but this is not enough. I'm looking to increase to at least 1600. I'm constantly blowing away MFPs projected calorie burn for myself, and work out more than they project as well.

I've been eating low calories for so long and am so used to it, I'm at a loss as to how to increase my calories day to day.

Replies

• katielynn46
    katielynn46 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im in the same situation myself! I cant figure out what to eat to still stay in the ranges im given for fat and all but still eat enough calories... Sorry i couldnt help but im glad you asked. Hopefully someone can help us both.
  • katielynn46
    katielynn46 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im in the same situation myself! I cant figure out what to eat to still stay in the ranges im given for fat and all but still eat enough calories... Sorry i couldnt help but im glad you asked. Hopefully someone can help us both.
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about going through that when I reach my goal weight. I think the trick is to do it slowly. Maybe add a spoonful of natural peanut butter with breakfast or if you have fruit for a snack add some yogurt. Just small changes to meals and snacks will make it easier. Definitely don't do it all at once, or you will get that full and sluggish feeling.
  • kellywaller1
    kellywaller1 Posts: 101
    Options
    nuts usually bring in calories and added protein!!!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    bumping need ideas myself
  • lissarv68
    lissarv68 Posts: 61
    Options
    Me too, I can't ever seem to be able to eat more than 800 to 900 calories a day! Every night, I add them up and it's just so frustrating. I don't even feel hungry but I know I have to eat more than that.

I had a bout when I was 12 where when I just never got hungry. I got really sick and I'm worried that will happen again. So I'm off, again, to eat before bed so I can at least get to a 1,000 calories. I really wish I could figure out a way to get all the calories without having to do this.

(By the way, I eat oatmeal for breakfast with milk and have a soup for lunch with fruit and a salad for dinner with some vegs. So I am eating healthy food but clearly not enough of it. I even pack granola bars with me to try and get the calories).
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Nuts and avocadoes are awesome for adding calories but adding good fats. If Im really really under, I will eat a PB&J sandwich.
  • vanislandgirl
    Options
    BEANS! Beans and legumes are full of fiber and protein and they a good carb (slow burning) as well as great fuel if you work out.
    Toss half a cup of black beans on your salad (about 110 calories) or make some yummy veggie chili and use as a snack or with a meal and it will help - no doubt about it. (Lentils are an equally good option if you don't like beans)
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    milk or greek yogurt, almonds, guac, hummus, cheese, ---all can be low fat, low sugar and high protein. I only get 1200 calories but I usually eat half of my exercise calories back.
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm needing to up my calories and some days by a bunch since I'm attempting the yoyo thing since I've been stuck. Unless I read something better on here before that point....I'm just gonna eat some peanut butter from the jar. :tongue:
    I LOVE PB!
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Me too, I can't ever seem to be able to eat more than 800 to 900 calories a day! Every night, I add them up and it's just so frustrating. I don't even feel hungry but I know I have to eat more than that.

I had a bout when I was 12 where when I just never got hungry. I got really sick and I'm worried that will happen again. So I'm off, again, to eat before bed so I can at least get to a 1,000 calories. I really wish I could figure out a way to get all the calories without having to do this.

(By the way, I eat oatmeal for breakfast with milk and have a soup for lunch with fruit and a salad for dinner with some vegs. So I am eating healthy food but clearly not enough of it. I even pack granola bars with me to try and get the calories).

Where is your protein??? you need it for muscle rowth and repair...a single serving (4 oz) of cottage cheese or greek yogurt has 11-16 grams of protein and 150 calories or less. a 93% lean quarter pound burger is only 170 calories and 20+ grams of protein for some chicken and fish alternatives
  • sequoyah2
    sequoyah2 Posts: 1
    Options
    My first post, hope I am helping not hurting. I lost 51 pounds since Jan. 22nd using exercise, and MFP (after I had lost 16 pounds just listening to my trainer) and a very good trainer who tries to explain nutrition to me. I lost more than my original goal wt. so he is trying to put some back on by increasing lean muscle mass. He recomends protein or complex carbs. Protein for muscle and complex carbs for energy that stays with you longer than the simple carbs before becoming fat. I am eating a gram of protein for every pound of my goal weight. Lean meats, no fat cottage cheese and NuGo protein bars along with quality Protein shakes. Sometimes hard to do and stay within your target calories , but it is doable. Good luck you all look great.
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    Peanut butter and mixed nuts.
  • martielou
    martielou Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    BEANS! Beans and legumes are full of fiber and protein and they a good carb (slow burning) as well as great fuel if you work out.
    Toss half a cup of black beans on your salad (about 110 calories) or make some yummy veggie chili and use as a snack or with a meal and it will help - no doubt about it. (Lentils are an equally good option if you don't like beans)

I agree! Adding beans to a salad helps a lot, or putting them in your soup! Other good choices- hummus (made from any "bean") edamame, etc. Avocados and nuts are great too, small servings really pump up the calories with lots of nutrients. Also, some whole grains could help too. I've never had trouble eating enough calories and I'm vegan (and maybe just a big eater ;)), I'm not sure what lean meats add.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I've just been doing slightly larger portions. A cup and a half of cereal instead of a cup at breakfast, 6-8 oz of chicken instead of a 4 oz serving, more veggies, more fruit, etc.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions for food, but I want to suggest to you to bump up your fitness profile. Like when I first came on I was sedentary, but I realized after reaching a stall at 40 lbs lost that I had enough lean muscle and daily activity that I was actually lightly active. Bumping up that increased my calories by 200. I haven't seen the scale move yet, but I"m not gaining either and inches are dropping so I know my body is changing.
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter is one of my favorites. I can put a good bit on a piece of whole wheat bread and feel full and get those few extra calories I need for the day. And heck at least it's a healthy way. That or fruit cups can be good as well...
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Add heathy fat into your diet. Coconut or olive oil pack alot of calories and you can put it in many things.
  • prettyash76
    prettyash76 Posts: 117
    Options
    Add almonds. That will up ur calories quick.
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, keep the advice coming! I struggle with sodium, well, I try to keep it under 2000 a day, and that is where I'm hurting. I eat about 90g of protein a day, and always meet my fiber goals. I'll play with the settings, but I don't consider myself moderately active, even though I exercise almost daily. When I'm not working out, I'm a bum :)