Coffee drinks

Options
Sugs94
Sugs94 Posts: 375 Member
OK...my love of frou-frou coffee drinks is derailing me. I just got a little expresso maker and need to experiment making that. Does anyone have a good blended coffee drink recipe or good iced coffee recipe??? Need to start making stuff at home and avoiding the shops as I rarely make good choices when I walk in.

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    OK...my love of frou-frou coffee drinks is derailing me. I just got a little expresso maker and need to experiment making that. Does anyone have a good blended coffee drink recipe or good iced coffee recipe??? Need to start making stuff at home and avoiding the shops as I rarely make good choices when I walk in.

drop a shot of espresso into a protein shake for a nice treat
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    I'm great with plain coffee but with skim milk over ice, I enjoy it as well. You can buy some sugar free syrups or adding cinnamon or vanilla extract. You can blend some ice cubes with whatever you make to give it that thick iced frappucino consistency.

I know a few people here sometimes mix protein powder with their coffee to get a mocha type drink, too!
  • kristenherrera
    kristenherrera Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    World Market has Torani syrups that are great in coffee drinks and they have tons of flavors to pick from. Then depending on which milk product option you like FF Half n Half, Almond or Soy Milk or Organic Milk :) Those are my coffee mix staples
  • bonnieclarke
    Options
    do a double shot of expresso(if you like it strong), add it to a lg. glass filled to the top w/ice, add fat free, sugar free flavored creamer( coffeemate or whatever your store carries), give it a good stir and add more ice if needed. it is very good and no need to add a sweetner. good luck ; )
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have been enjoying my iced coffee with a splash of unsweetened coconut milk over ice...delish!
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I have loved coffee all my life. And growing I know no coffee without sugar. I have adjusted to making them with 2% milk, skim or 1%. Yesterday i tried (for the first time) coffee with 1% milk without sugar and I think I may not have to give up coffee after all.

Here is also an article about making a latte at home:
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1380149/make_a_latte_at_home_for_less_than.html?cat=51

http://www.yummly.com/recipes/low-fat-latte
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I've done iced coffe with skim milk, ice cubes, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and a drop of two of stevia. YUMMY, sweet, and not tooo bad for you. I need to start making it with decaf, bc I want to drink it in the evening, which then means I am up alllllll night from the caffeine.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

"Maxwell House Instant Coffee"
    Oh, the horror
  • maddymama
    Options

"Maxwell House Instant Coffee"
    Oh, the horror

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
  • maddymama
    Options
    http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/cold-brewed-iced-coffee/

Just remembered this for cold-brewed coffe, which is excellent for iced coffee drinks. (I am not a coffee snob, so the dregs of the morning's pot are ususally great for me........)
  • englishgem
    Options
    I love to mix some Hershey's Chocolate Syrup into my coffee and pour it over ice. It tastes good and has NO FAT! If you want it to be creamy just add a little milk I always have skim in my fridge.
  • englishgem
    Options
    I love the things that Deb (the author of smitten kitchen) comes up with. Usually they are very creative although not always the best for ditching the calories or the fat.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Some vanilla soy milk a shot of coffee and ice cubes blended up is yummy. if you like it sweeter add some honey or sweetener, whatever it is that you use.
  • Sugs94
    Sugs94 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the good ideas....I love iced coffee. will be experimenting in my kitchen and just saying no to Starbucks (on a daily basis anyway ) :)
  • carlaluvs2sing
    carlaluvs2sing Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the sugar free Skinny Girl and Torani I keep at home. I either order them off Amazon or Marshall’s and their other affiliates (Home Goods and TJ Max) also carry these sugar free syrups if you can get them before they run out. I struggled giving up my iced mochas and mocha blended at my local coffee shop but … instead I switched to their sugar free syrups over ice with either almond milk or occasionally with a splash of half and half ❤️. My local coffee shop actually has a sugar free mocha that is amazing and I get it with two shots and almond milk. When I looked up the calories in my regular iced mocha it made me nauseous…. It was a whole meal. I’m so glad for these sugar free options.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Before I gave up sweeteners I used to put in a blender: ice, coffee, stevia packet, squirt of sugar free chocolate syrup, and some milk or half & half. I'd blend it till smooth.

Now my go to is just plain coffee w/a dollop of heavy cream. I love the creaminess more than the sweetness it turns out.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,930 Member
    Options
    I dont eat super-sweet foods. I guess I just have a semi-sweet tooth. One day last year I ran out of milk, so I had to figure out something else that would work. I had a carton of the liquid Premier Protein. I figured it was worth a try. It was so good! And the extra protein was a bonus. Still doing it.
  • mpwalker9791
    mpwalker9791 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tried various flavored creamers in the past, however in order to get the creamy level I want, it always ended up being too sugary. So to skip the starbucks, I looked at their "at home" section to figure out how to make some of the drinks I enjoy. I have since switched to using extracts instead of syrups. My regular go to extracts are butter rum, maple, vanilla, and almond. The combos I do are rum/vanilla/almond, maple/vanilla/almond, vanilla/almond/cinnamon powder. For sweetener I use stevia complete brown sugar as I feel it gives a better flavor. I use milk then for my creamer
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I saw this on Facebook and have posted before: 1lhcxnac9iut.jpeg
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've been a coffee addict since I was like 14, long before the first Seattle coffee houses sparked the obsession lol. My parents were coffee-addicts & a pot was always brewing.

When I first was on a balanced diet I tried using the artificial sweeteners, and sugar free syrups, and low-fat cool whip to get some of the satisfaction. It was still a bit much for me personally, but Toroni sugar free syrups are really good and there's a lot of flavors out there. I got them at Walmart.

After I went way low-carb and started limiting artificial sweeteners I was worried about not enjoying coffee anymore but I've discovered fat bomb coffees.

Now I put in 2 tbsp of whipped heavy cream with no sweetener, or whip in a tbsp of coconut oil, or for breakfast I whip a raw egg & tbsp of butter while slowly pouring in boiling coffee (hot enough to cook the egg).

I hear MTC oil is also really good but I haven't gotten any yet.

If I have to go through a drive-thru for coffee I do Dunkin Donuts and sometimes get the coconut milk. Nice & creamy.

Anyone trying to get away from sweet coffee drinks should give fat-whipped coffee a try, I found it surprisingly yummy and satiating.