Anyone doing intermittent fasting?

Options

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Plenty of research evidence for the Eat Stop Eat type of fastings benefits. none for the eat every 2-3 hours.

I find that if I eat many small meals I never trigger my "full" button and I end up eating more than I would have with fewer, larger meals. I find that I need to eat at least 300 calories in a sitting or I will feel snacky until I get a big meal in me.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I love doing Intermittent Fasting and I also incorporate Carb Cycling into my routine every day.

I start training in the morning at 6am so here is what I do with my IF:

- I fast between the hours of 8pm and 12 Noon the next day
    - I train on an empty stomach (with the exception of a non-calorie PWO drink - White Flood + Green Mag)
    - After training I take 10g of BCAA's.
    - 2 hours later I take 10g of BCAA's (The timing doesn't matter)

- My feeding window starts at 12 Noon and goes until 8pm in which I take in my calorie intake along with making sure I hit my macros.

- I also incorporate fruits and veggies into my daily meals.
    - I also take Orange Triad multi and fish oil.
    - On my upper body days I eat high carbs, On lower body days I eat med to high carbs, and on cardio and off days I eat very low carb.

The end.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have done IF for quite some time now and I love it!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Today is my IF day for this week.
    Once a week I have a normal breakfast and lunch. I stop eating by 1pm and have liquid only until breakfast at 7am the next morning for an eighteen hour fast.
    There are many styles of fasting and many reasons for fasting. This is just the one that works for me at this time.
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    This was a GREAT topic. Most people when they here I do IF, look at me like I'm stupid, especially when they hear I'm a T1. I do have my docs support in this because he knows I can do this wisely while managing BG levels. Truly, it helps me to stay focused on managing my diabetes and eating right. It also takes one day away from needing to focus on carb:insulin ratios...
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Please excuse me if this question has been ask a million times but if I fast from 3 pm one day to 3 pm the next day do I need to eat my daily calories after I fast?
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Please excuse me if this question has been ask a million times but if I fast from 3 pm one day to 3 pm the next day do I need to eat my daily calories after I fast?

Are you talking about if you fast on wednesday, the on thursday you break your fast do you eat the calories from wednesday??? NO.

You eat untill you're satisfied, i am sure you won't be able to get in 2 days worth of food.
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Are you talking about if you fast on wednesday, the on thursday you break your fast do you eat the calories from wednesday??? NO.

You eat untill you're satisfied, i am sure you won't be able to get in 2 days worth of food.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    What I get from this is that by fasting it helps boost fat loss faster. So, if I done this one day a week and thereafter watch my calorie intake for the rest of the week. The day of fasting I would only drink water, or can I drink water and coffee without milk and sugar?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    What I get from this is that by fasting it helps boost fat loss faster. So, if I done this one day a week and thereafter watch my calorie intake for the rest of the week. The day of fasting I would only drink water, or can I drink water and coffee without milk and sugar?

Anything non-caloric although for most people non-caloric sweeteners will make them much hungrier. Coffee, tea, water are all good choices. I usually make a pitcher of iced tea no sweetener or sometimes with stevia, and I drink that throughout the day along with my water.
  • rileysowner
    Options

If you are doing an "Eat Stop Eat" type fast no, you just start eating normally after that. I do supper to supper, so when I finish I have my normal supper and finish my day going to bed. I started doing this before I read the book "Eat Stop Eat" by Brad Pilon, then I purchased the book, and it was well worth the money. He has a bunch of videos concerning ESE on Youtube as well.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    The knights of the temple of solomon practiced intermittent fasting. I haven't tried it myself, but the templars were some pretty tough dudes. They had one fasting day per week and one day of carb binging with no meat.
  • Anoetos
    Anoetos Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Fasting for religious/spiritual reasons or to "detox" is great. I am uncertain about long term usefulness with regard to fitness and weight loss. I understand that the OP refers to an intermittent program, but even so:

People with "normal" metabolic function may lose weight through fasting initially, but eventually homeostasis will kick in and your body will stop falling for it.

It will adjust rapidly to the fasts, treating them like starvation and slow the absorption and burning of calories accordingly. You may also find that even when you are not fasting, your metabolism is retarded.

Additionally, as important as it always is to keep hydrated, it is also important to realize that fasting involves the purposeful withholding of essential electrolytes. Of course, this is all part of the metabolic process as well.

This has all been my own experience with fasting. YMMV.

Be careful.
  • Anoetos
    Anoetos Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    that sound kinda crazy, this one guy put it quite well

"A tip to avoid putting your body into starvation and keep your hunger satisfied is to eat every 2-3 hours, even if its just somethin small, also keep the protein up, drink lots of water, and keep exercising and you should be fine. Your body will let you know if you are in need of more calories, give it a shot and if you don't feel good or arn't seeing results, make some changes... Don't stress too much about it, keep workin and you'll find a groove."

Now that sounds better

im not saying the fasting idea wouldnt work, just doesnt seem good at all... my boyfriend would kill me if I didnt eat for 16 hours straight

The quote you have there is total BS, BTW. You need to be without any food for about 3 days before starvation mode kicks in, studies have confirmed this.

This is true...

BUT...

Repeated excursions into near-starvation WILL cue your metabolism to slow down just as it would with full blown starvation. It's not as though there is a certain point, at 72 hours when the starvation switch gets thrown.

These are also facts confirmed both by my own experience and "studies"
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Fasting for religious/spiritual reasons or to "detox" is great. I am uncertain about long term usefulness with regard to fitness and weight loss. I understand that the OP refers to an intermittent program, but even so:

People with "normal" metabolic function may lose weight through fasting initially, but eventually homeostasis will kick in and your body will stop falling for it.

It will adjust rapidly to the fasts, treating them like starvation and slow the absorption and burning of calories accordingly. You may also find that even when you are not fasting, your metabolism is retarded.

Additionally, as important as it always is to keep hydrated, it is also important to realize that fasting involves the purposeful withholding of essential electrolytes. Of course, this is all part of the metabolic process as well.

This has all been my own experience with fasting. YMMV.

Be careful.

I'm sure you have scientific research to support your statements. There are many studies on short-term fasts and their effect and none of the ones I have seen do what you claim will happen. In fact people have been intermittent fasting for weight loss and maintenance for a long time without this happening. I have never noticed my body adapt to fasts and my metabolism is no slower now than it was in the past.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    that sound kinda crazy, this one guy put it quite well

"A tip to avoid putting your body into starvation and keep your hunger satisfied is to eat every 2-3 hours, even if its just somethin small, also keep the protein up, drink lots of water, and keep exercising and you should be fine. Your body will let you know if you are in need of more calories, give it a shot and if you don't feel good or arn't seeing results, make some changes... Don't stress too much about it, keep workin and you'll find a groove."

Now that sounds better

im not saying the fasting idea wouldnt work, just doesnt seem good at all... my boyfriend would kill me if I didnt eat for 16 hours straight

The quote you have there is total BS, BTW. You need to be without any food for about 3 days before starvation mode kicks in, studies have confirmed this.

This is true...

BUT...

Repeated excursions into near-starvation WILL cue your metabolism to slow down just as it would with full blown starvation. It's not as though there is a certain point, at 72 hours when the starvation switch gets thrown.

These are also facts confirmed both by my own experience and "studies"

What studies do you speak of? I would like to see them as I have not even though I searched for them.
  • trailrider1963
    Options
    bump. The topic interests me because I recently went 20 hours without food due to dr. office needing fasting blood work, then they screwed up and I had to wait and wait . . . . After 20 hrs. I was a little irritable but not hungry and certainly in no danger of passing out, much less dying. I've heard about fasting being beneficial and I want to hear more from others who've been there. Maybe I can incorporate this one day.
  • jlzoda
    jlzoda Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have never done intermittent fasting, and did not want to post negative comments about it if I didn't really know anything...so...I did some internet research: Wikipedia (yes, i know, not the most accurate) along with some other sites actually cite studies done on animals & humans that have shown increase in life span, so ..maybe there is something to this! I for one will look into it a bit more!
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm not reading any of the replies, because these types of posts tend to get people yelling at you. But my personal experience with fasting has always been positive. I will do a 24 hour fast every now and then - starting after dinner one night, and going through the next day. Nothing wrong with fasting at all. We actually ALL fast every single day - between dinner and breakfast - BREAK fast - get it? That's why it's called breakfast - you're breaking your fast.

I also have found that fasts promote other things other than weight loss. It can benefit you spiritually was well.

Good luck!