Does anyone wish to lose only 5-10 pounds?

Hi- My goal is to lose about 7 pounds. It might not sound like a lot, but I am only 5 feet tall, and the weight has been creeping up on me as I approach 40. I am wondering if there is anyone else who is in a similar situation, needing to lose maybe just 10 pounds or less..... and why is it sooooooo difficult? Any tips would be appreciated- like a small change you made that paid off for you, etc. Thanks.

Replies

• I don't have any tips for you, but we are in the same boat. I only want to lose 10lbs at the most.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    ive got 4 lbs to go and its a struggle!!
  • I'm there too. 10 pounds, only 5'1".

I'm on week two and I've lost a pound. I cut calories, I'm drinking almost no pop, I exercise about 5 days a week.. I don't know.
  • tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    I'm within 10 pounds of my goal and it's tough!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    I've got 4 pounds left :)

The best advice I can give you is go slow and be consistent !

And also read this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Hi there.....I am down to my final 6 lbs here. It definately gets harder as we get in better shape. For me, increasing the intensity of my workout is helping (getting my heart rate up higher), eating nearly all of my exercise calories and if you haven't already changed your settings to lose just a 1/2 a lb a week, that is another good idea. This will allow you to eat more but it jump started my metabolism again by eating more. Oh and strength training to build muscle is a huge plus too. Good luck to you. I know you can do it!!!!
  • k01ks03
    k01ks03 Posts: 1
    The calorie-counting app really works well for me, since it makes it easier to tell if you're creating the correct calorie deficit. It's difficult to create such a small calorie deficit without overdoing it if you don't have some way of tracking your caloric intake.
  • Brooke1542
    Brooke1542 Posts: 115 Member
    Right now I have 8 pounds left to go. When I first started I had about 40 that I wanted to loose and I found that dieting was all I really needed to lose the first 30. After I lost that much, I was at a stand still. I had been exercising but not consistenly and was mainly doing cardio. I added in strength training and have lost another 7 pounds. Not sure if it will help you, but doing a pretty balanced cardio and strength training routine about 4-5 days a week has helped me through my plateau.
  • Im in the same boat right now I only need 2 trim off a few pounds. Something im finding hard 4 me is finding the support I need 2 help me through it. everyone around me keeps saying ur not fat why r u worried about it. But I have never been a person with weight anywhere so for me its a struggle and I think I need it. I have just started myfitnesspal I'm hoping this helps me. I have also just got a running partner who really pushes me 2 work hard and push myself 2 the next level. Hopefuly this works! Good luck!
  • I too only have about 10 to lose.... I've logged in for 20 days now, I've lost 4 lbs. Didn't start seeing weight lose until last week. I started seeing results when I vary my calories throughout the week. But maintaining an average of 1200 for the week. Keeps the body guessing and the metabolism moving. Hope this helps you. Keep up the good work.... it will come off !!
  • Kiwi_09
    Kiwi_09 Posts: 65
    I only have about 10lbs left to lose, I was trying to lose 20 in total. I've been doing really well so far. You have to remember that since you only have a little bit of weight to lose it's not just going to fall off the same as someone who has 100lbs to lose to their goal weight. Which can sometimes be discouraging on this site because you'll see people with huge loses and frequently drops on weight gains and uploaded pictures of amazing results, which they obviously worked hard for. But I know I'll never have a crazy before and after picture because once I get to my goal weight I'll only have dropped one pant size. Most people I know didn't even notice I gained the weight in the first place, (I'm trying to get back to the weight I was before college.) So when you and I and others who have only a little bit of weight loss in mind we don't get as much outside encouragement since it's not as noticeable that we lost weight.
    The only person who's said anything about my weight loss is my boyfriend and it's likely because he sees me every day and sees me without clothes, and also knows how hard I've been working so he might just be saying it to encourage me. I've lost 9 lbs already, but am wearing all the same clothes are before.
    So, you have to be very determined to get those small amounts of weight off because it may be hard for others and even yourself to notice or even relate to wanting to lose 5 lbs, since most people don't look any different +/- 5 lbs.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    I only want to lose 8... But I'm 5'11, so 8 pounds spread out over almost 6 feet isn't really that much. I've lost 2 already, but it's going to be tough to lose much more. The downside to not gaining weight easily is that you also don't lose weight easily. :-/
  • chassist23
    chassist23 Posts: 22
    I am in the same boat. I lost about 10lbs before I got onto MFP and these last ten are what got me around to joining but they are definitely hard to get rid of. I am starting to incorportate strenght training to build some muscle into my work outs. I am hoping that will start to make a difference.
  • patiencez2
    patiencez2 Posts: 160 Member
    You would be surprised if you just used portion control, drink alot of water and throw in a few walks around the yard.
    just start eating healthy foods insted of foods with alot of fat. I am 5'3 and I need to lose about 15 pounds more. the calorie counter here is a awesome tool. along with the exercise tracker. I lost 2 pounds last week. I know how hard it is when you only need to lose a few pounds. I recomend only trying to lose a pound or 2 a week. more likely to keep the weight off. I have never been over 20 lbs over weight. But the older you grt the harder it is to lose. But hey the support here is great as well. You can do it.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    I've got 4 pounds left :)

The best advice I can give you is go slow and be consistent !

And also read this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner

Stroutman81 knows his stuff. Didn't go through the entire thread, but the information on the first two pages was very informative. Just three pounds left for me....but perhaps the "form follows function" mantra he mentioned might not be a bad idea....
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    I only have 2 lbs to go! I've been stuck for 3 weeks. First time i've not lost weight through out my journey
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    I have 12 lbs left to lose, I'm content with my 0.8 loss a week. Losing hasn't been too difficult since I always aim for a 400-500 cal deficit a day through diet & exercise. It's staying within my calorie range on my rest days that is proving to be a challenge. I'm short, 5'1", so I have to consume less cals than those who are 5'3"-5'5". On average I take in 1300-1450 cals. This is one of those moments where I wish I was a few inches taller. I'm not envious of those who are losing at a faster rate and don't ever compare myself to them. You have to accept that weightloss slows down as you get closer to your goal weight, especially when it comes to vanity pounds.
  • CarolAmanda
    CarolAmanda Posts: 84 Member
    5-10 for me too. I'm doing more weight training now, so I'll have to see how my clothes feel after 5 pounds then decide if I should go for the other 5. It can be tough! I'm doing a 2 week book camp program at my gym starting Monday. I'm hoping it helps me get unstuck.

Carol
  • that is awesome, congratulations to everyone. It's a huge inspiration. I definitely need to add more weight training......