Avoiding the Freshman Fifteen?

Options
Hi everyone. I'm starting college next month and will be living on campus, so I'm a little worried about my weight loss being derailed by cafeteria food and late night study session snacks. Any tips to snack healthy while everyone around you is scarfing down pizza and burgers? So far I've been pretty disciplined about not eating things I know I shouldn't and limiting my portion sizes, but I need a way to stay motivated and remember the big picture when all that greasy food is just so convenient.

Replies

• AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You've already taken the right step by being worried about gaining! I just graduated from undergrad, so I was in your shoes not too long ago. I moved into my dorm with the same attitude: "DO NOT gain that Freshman 15!"... and you know what? I didn't. Because I didn't want to. I think I had a slice of pizza maybe once or twice. I rarely ate the asian food, and never had the burgers. I knew the bad stuff and I avoided it like the plague.

You will do the same, because not only are you worried about it, but you've also got MFP helping you along!

As for snacking tips: just make sure you buy healthier snacks! And if you can't buy the ultra healthy stuff because of your college budget, just keep calorie-counting so you can better manage what you eat.

Good luck!
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Will power is key. Avoiding the burgers, fries, and ice cream is rough! Try figuring out your meal before you get to the dining hall (hard, I know) so you can avoid the greasy stuff. If your dining hall is anytihng like mine was, there are sections for pizza, deli, salad, burgers, etc... The salad line was always shortest -- go for that! You can make some great salads with all the stuff, plus head over to the deli and get some meat to toss in or hard boiled eggs to mix it up and add some protein.

Another piece of advice -- make time for the gym. You'll be so busy with studying, friends, partying, and experiencing new things, but try to get into a gym routine that you'll really stick to!

Good luck, and most importantly, enjoy your time in college!!
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    Options
    Stay on here and just keep track and definitely don't start drinking soda just because its there everywhere!!! Other than that MODERATION!
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    That freshman fifteen hit me hard... I actually think it was more than 15 but I quit getting on the scale after a while because I didn't want to know. That weight gain back in college is what inspired me to start getting healthy and exercising and I've been doing it ever since!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Salad bar (hopefully you have one!) will be your best friend. My school cafeteria is pretty healthy, but I still stick with the chicken breast, salad bar, fresh fruit, and cereal. Try not to eat anything that's pre-made where you don't know the recipe or ingredients, it will probably have more fat (cooking oil) and salt that you think.

Buy your own food as much as your budget will allow. This next semester I'll be heading to the grocery store for my staples such as almonds and yogurt. Pack whenever you can.

As for late night study sessions, avoid them whenever possible. Sleep is not only important to health, you will learn better as well! I have always strove for get 6-8 hours of sleep every night before class. Study during the day when the information is fresh in your mind after class.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    So I definitely gained the freshman 15, not just because I went to college in New Orleans where they have so much delicious food, but because I drank so much beer and ate so many late night cheese fries! Here's my advice...

Don't forget that beer has calories... a sparkling water or a tonic in your hand will deter those "why aren't you drinking?" "just have one, come on" comments.

It's easy to overeat or eat bad stuff when you're hungry and everyone else wants to grab pizza or tacos, so keep things you can munch on with you all the time that are much healthier for you. That way you won't be hungry when everyone else gets the great idea to get pizza, and it will be much easier to abstain, or even go with them and get something healthier.
  • Logsv
    Logsv Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm going into my senior year of college and honestly, its not the food that made me gain the "freshman 15" it was the drinking. Partying every weekend because you're living on your own with out parents to come home to really caught up with me and my waste line. My advice would be that if you are going to party and consume alcohol, make sure you aren't over doing it. If you're not a drinker just remember to try to keep your portions similar to what you eat at home and make sure you get fruits and veggies in. Most likely the pizza and burgers will be available every day so make those food items a one a week treat.

Good luck and don't forget to study! :D
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    stock up your dorm room with healthier & low cal options that you can share so you're less likely to want what everyone else is having, like 100 cal bags of popcorn & frozen bags of veggie steamers & i used to add benefiber to everything liquid... things that are quick & convenient will make it easier to make better food choices.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    MAN it is a little tricky haha. I'll be a senior next year, and I've done a lot of different things to lose weight in college. If your school has a gym, PLEASE take advantage of it, and never lie to yourself that you are too tired, it's too cold to walk to, or you don't have the time. Those were all my excuses! Also, if you CAN walk, do so! My school has a rockin bus system because it's a large-ish campus, but I don't usually use it. The hardest thing is eating with friends. Once I saw a kid load pizza slices on top of a mountain of fries. I wish I could do that haha! Know portion sizes and what is right for you. If everyone goes back and gets seconds, don't go yourself, or if you do, get baby carrots. Meals at college = social time. Be aware of what you are eating and if you are hungry. I would also buy oatmeal back when I lived in a dorm and that would be one of my meals. Now that I live in an apartment I rarely go to by dining hall.

Lesson that I learned
    *Fad diets don't work
    * Exercise is essential
    * Portions!!!
    * Think/plan ahead when you know you are going to be in a social situation

You will have SOOOO much fun in school, but it's hard work too! You will do great, and it's awesome that you are already thinking and planning for this. I sure didn't haha.
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Do not spend your laundry money on daily king size snicker's bars. Those, and the nightly fries for dinner, were my downfall.
  • iamkelskels
    Options
    hii :)
    i just finished my first year of college, and am going to be a sophomore this year, and i did unfortunately gain the freshman 15 :(

seriously, there is a LOT of late night eating.. in college, you can basically get ANYTHING delivered to you at night, so it's a lot about will power. just because it's there doesn't mean you have to get it-- i basically gave in anytime chinese, or cookies sounded good (yes, we could get fresh baked cookies and milk DELIVERED to our dorms). have some healthy snacks stashed into your room for late night snacking, like vegetables, nuts, or pretzels. and when your friends order pizza at eleven o'clock at night (or later!) and ask if you want in, use your will power! if you're not hungry, don't eat it!

there are definitely healthy options with school food. take advantage of the salad bars, and always order the small size of something if it's unhealthy. pasta alfredo? small size! and usually there are healthy options, like wheat pasta instead of regular, or ask for the sauce on the side of the spaghetti, etc. etc.

also, take advantage of your school's fitness opportunities! my school offered free Zumba, kick boxing, cardio core, core training, boot camp, etc etc classes everyday and i got lazy after a few weeks and stopped going! if you have thesopportunities, always take advantage! especially after lazy kids (like me!) get bored and stop going after the first few weeks, and the class is less crowded!
    and don't be deterred by the school fitness centers. i was always intimidated by the older students and stuck to the track to workout, which was boring. don't hesitate to ask someone who works there how thing work, or go to some sort of orientation for the school's gym to learn the ropes. the more comfortable you are, the more you'll want to go. and seriously, when school is getting hectic and you feel like you're going to explode because of the stress, going to exercise is the best! because not only does it get you away from everything that's stressing you out, but it's also good for you so you don't feel guilty walking away from your work :)

if you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to message me!

hope i helped somewhat!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain weight my freshman year of college, and I ate like a pig.

However, my staying up late and eating too much pizza did wear through my stomach lining a bit. I moved off campus and started cooking my own food before too long. The only thing my meal points could buy on campus that I could eat were apples and bagels, and man, after a couple semesters, that sucks!

I did gain some weight off campus, despite my eating better, but that's because I was walking less. I started taking the bus more, and I had a bone problem in my foot so I didn't want to walk much anyway.

Most of my weight gain happened after graduation though. There's nothing like a sedentary job and marriage to pack on the pounds. Of course, more health problems did it too.

However, the freshman year was smooth sailing. My ribs were showing all the way up through my sophomore year.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    also, take advantage of your school's fitness opportunities! my school offered free Zumba, kick boxing, cardio core, core training, boot camp, etc etc classes everyday and i got lazy after a few weeks and stopped going! if you have thesopportunities, always take advantage! especially after lazy kids (like me!) get bored and stop going after the first few weeks, and the class is less crowded!
    and don't be deterred by the school fitness centers. i was always intimidated by the older students and stuck to the track to workout, which was boring. don't hesitate to ask someone who works there how thing work, or go to some sort of orientation for the school's gym to learn the ropes. the more comfortable you are, the more you'll want to go. and seriously, when school is getting hectic and you feel like you're going to explode because of the stress, going to exercise is the best! because not only does it get you away from everything that's stressing you out, but it's also good for you so you don't feel guilty walking away from your work :)

Maybe this is why I didn't get the Freshman 15. I took a swimming class and a ballroom dance class. My friends and I loved to swim.
  • lakenleona
    lakenleona Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much. I might just have to come back to this thread and read it whenever my will power dwindles. Haha! I appreciate all the support and advice from everyone! College is intimidating enough, so I'm hoping being prepared will be to my advantage in this area!

My college has an awesome gym with lots of classes during the week (like Zumba and other cardio classes) so I would love to get involved with those! And thankfully my campus is small enough that we don't have any sort of public transportation, but big enough that its a good trek across campus. I plan on walking and biking just about everywhere! My bank account is excited too because that means less gas!!! haha
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it ... You only get to b a frosh once - enjoy it.

Ps doing the dirty burns alot of cals.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Just be vigilant about what triggers you to overeat. College is a fantastic experience (that I miss oh-so-much), but it can be stressful. Many people I knew gained weight from stress eating less-than-healthy things (people don't usually reach for carrot sticks when they're doing all-nighters). As others have said, be sure to have healthy snacks in your dorm room, use the gym (not just because you can burn calories, but because it really helps to relieve stress), and be aware of the situations that might cause you to cave or to make some unhealthy choices and be ready for them.

Have a wonderful time in college!
  • ritchiela
    ritchiela Posts: 4
    Options
    I definitely gained the freshman 15, and regret it everyday! it's been a struggle getting back to my highschool weight. I'm sure you already know but drinking happens, and when your drunk you want to snack, my college there was a dominoes right down the street. It was always very tempting, I finally am moving off campus this next year and can't wait just so I won't be tempted to get the late night snacks, fried food and french fries pizzas all of that thats offered late nights in the cafe. My advice to you is live your college years but stay away from the fried foods, and drink half of your weight in oz of water each day! It will help dramatically!! Stay away from the dorm room snacks, popcorn & mac and cheese....get canned fruits, bananas, keep healthy foods in your dorm. Best idea I did was get a gym membership, go everyday, not only relieves stress from homework and hours of studying but it
    lt'll keep you healthy!! Enjoy your Freshman year!!
  • rococo11
    rococo11 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My freshman year I gained about 7 lbs of muscle by starting strength training, I lost inches though...if you don't already do that start some lifting most colleges have a semi-decent weight room and lots of helpful people. Another thing is walk or ride your bike everywhere.Once I started drinking that was the biggest detrement to health. If you must drink alternate a drink with a glass of water, your head and wallet will thank you. What also worked for me is on late nights do not order in, if you need food walk to get it...you will find that craving isn't as urgent if you need to exert effort to get it and even if you do end up walking you are burning calories and having a good time with people who go with you. Finally spend cash only and decide how much you are willing to spend on a monthly basis, if going out to eat takes 15 dollars out of a 100 dollar monthly budget you will probably not do it. Credit cards make things too easy. Good luck, have fun and even if you put on some weight don't stress about it.
  • fireyes
    fireyes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm terrrified of gaining weight!
    I love studying at the gym though, simply because I cant just sit and read. So I spend hours on the bike reading through endless pages of ultimate crap.
    I also know that once i become comfortable eating somewhere ( and it becomes a habit) I'll always be hungry at that spot. For this very important reason i will NOT be eating anywhere that i spend a lot of time. I'd rather take the study break then be eating candy 24/7.
    I'm also thinking of keeping a scale i my room. I think i have scale anxiety, if i dont weigh every morning i stress out. Plus, this can keep me in check for how much im gaining (or losing? ).