I'm tired. How often should I rest, and how often do I need

Options
I was originally planning on working out 6 days a week, with one rest day. I was hoping I would do three strength training days and three cardio days.

However, I'm exhausted. I already know I'm not working out on Thursday, because I'm going out with friends after work. Should I rest today too, or should I suck it up?

If it matters, parts of me are still sore from yesterday's workout, but it's not really a terrible soreness. It's mild. It does have something to do with my being tired though.

Replies

• auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but my neighbor who is very fit swears by 2 days on 1 day off.
  • britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body! If you are tired, let it rest! It's okay to have 2 rest days a week!
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I rest for 1 day a week but I've been training consistently for 5 years now.

Generally when you are starting out it is better to ease into it than rush head first. You will get sick lots and burn out otherwise. Try doing 3 strength sessions, 2 cardio, and 2 days rest and over a few months you can build up to another cardio session. As long as you have at least 1 day off
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If you're only starting with exercise go slowly and let your body get used to the new routine. 3 days a week should be ideal for anyone that hasn't exercised regularly in a while, you can also opt for more often but less intense workouts. Once your stamina increases you'll be able to add more time/days/intensity.
    Make sure you rest enough, rest is as important as exercise itself and insufficient rest can lead to complications and injury later.

Good luck and take the day off tomorrow or go for a small walk or something.
  • loveofabullet
    Options
    Do not take a second day off... suck it up. That said, pick cardio exercises that you can do without hurting yourself too much... low speed walking on the treadmill, an exercise bike, minor elliptical time, etc.

Get your progress in so you don't get discouraged.... keep the forward momentum, just tone it down when it is getting to be too much.
  • TooFitToQuit
    Options
    How about a happy medium and do an easier/fun workout? Take a bike ride outside or a step class at the gym!
  • Jason944
    Jason944 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I think the most common is probably 5 days a week with 2 days off but thats definetly not the case for everyone. Just remember that if you push yourself too hard and strain or pull a muscle or any other injury, you could be rehabbing an injury for a week or 2. An extra day off here and there is a LOT better than a week or two off.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    When I haven't been exercising for awhile I do 2 on/1off for a couple weeks then add a day, then a few weeks add the last day.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your body. Many people do 6 days a week with just one rest day. I typically have to have 2 rest days, spaced out, not all together. What I Have found though, for the weeks that I go full force..doing a light workout is just as helpful as a rest day. For example, a simple yoga session or a walk or my p90x stretch videos (sometimes just ½ the video) are good light workouts that I can do on the days my body cries for a rest, but I want to go full force for the week.
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body...take a walk on this other day, do a bit of house cleaning (yes it is exercise but it's gotta be done). I know when I'm feeling off, I need more electrolytes...grab a G2 and add it to your diary, yes it is sugar, but you may be needing the electrolytes to keep you going.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If your workouts are making you really tired, maybe you need to fuel them more completely? My doctor recommends eating/drinking something containing both carbs and protein, no more than 10 minutes before your workout. Then make sure you have something with protein again immediately afterwards. That keeps your metabolism going strong throughout, and will keep you from crashing & being completely exhausted when you're done.

As for whether to skip a day, just listen to your body. If you think you could handle a milder workout instead, go for it. If your body really needs the rest, give it that rest. Don't feel guilty; everyone's body is different and you just have to do what's best for you.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks. I think I'm going to relax tonight, and get back to lifting tomorrow. Thursday is my other rest day, and I should have no problems working out over the weekend, since I have lots of time. This weekend was great for me, so I'm sure I can do it again.

I am somewhat of a beginner, and I did push myself pretty hard yesterday. I'm sure I'll push myself hard tomorrow too.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I did three days a week and have worked up. I still rest at LEAST one day a week, and sometimes my exercise is a nice quiet walk or bike ride, sometimes it's a nine mile run. Depends on the day, my mood, what I'm hoping to accomplish. Sometimes I feel the need to punch something so I hit the gym and lift weights! I know it doesn't seem like I have a routine, and maybe I'm not super focused, but right now my goal is a healthy lifestyle, not a swimsuit competition!!! LOL! Seriously, rest if you're super tired. It's not worth injuring yourself which you can tend to do when you're tired. Good form is best. That said, if you can manage, walk around the block or something. You'll feel like you accomplished something for the day and won't hurt even more tomorrow. Just keep moving!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    As stated you should work up to 6 days on one off. My questions are how much protein are you getting in a day, too little will increase tiredness from exercise, and second what sort of before and after workout eating are you doing?
  • jshmans
    jshmans Posts: 8
    Options
    I agree with some of the posters who previously stated that you should rest && the posters that said you could do something very light today in lieu of working yourself extra hard. 6 days a week of intensity that makes you sore and tired seems a bit excessive. You won't reach your goals if you're constantly exhausted, eventually it starts working against you. On days when I planned to work out but wake up feeling exhausted and/or sore or just plain too grumpy, I do simple things like go for a walk or pop in a Leslie Sansone DVD (at a low volume if I'm already crabby!) and count that as a workout. As long as I don't do that multiple days in a row, it's fine and I manage to keep any soreness or exhaustion in check. It seems to work way better than pushing myself every day - I'm generally in a better mood, I feel stronger while not feeling like jelly, and that tired feeling doesn't follow me around nearly as much as it would without listening to my body. Good luck! :)