Water jogging?

Options
I am getting over a running injury and have found water jogging, but doing it the ghetto version (running in place w/out any flotation device) and wondering if any other mfp members do this and does it really burn as much calories as it says?

Replies

• Ginger1384
    Ginger1384 Posts: 42
    Options
    I don't know if it does or not but it should. I ache more doing that for 30 minutes than I do walking an hour.
  • mlpisme1992
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Thanks,
    After some injuries I'm not supposed to run or do anything high impact. This sounds like it might be something I CAN do?
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I tried it too for a short period of time. I would think it will help keep your muscles strong. I had to quit running last year because of "runner's knees," It actually turned out to be severe chondromalica (no cushion pad behind my knees.) So I won't ever be a serious runner again. But I stayed in shape doing other exercises because I don't want to gain the weight I lost from running last year.

Pilates and yoga are good therapy to heal and strengthen you muscles around your knee. Fast walking actually develops your leg muscles quicker than running - believe it or not. I now do some higher impact exercises now like jumping - which is a no-no, but I take it carefully. The important thing is before you do any exercise, get a doctor to make sure you don't have a torn ligament. If a torn ligament goes untreated for an extended amount of time, it can result in permanent knee problems.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I have a nice size above ground pool, and have been looking for exercises to
    to in it, im gonna try this with HRM tomorrow and will let you know
  • Wibikerlady
    Wibikerlady Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Water jog & Water aerobics is VERY low impact and CRAZY awesome for muscles!! You will burn calories...However, for water jogging, you need to do it in the deep end of a pool back and forth different things...like: just using arms from JUST where the deep end starts, to the end of the deep end, and back to the ledge of the deep. Again, the DEEP area is the only area used...Then after you are back to the start, use just legs...Keep back as straight as possible-cup hands to help *pull* you to the end and back..Its not a race, its all pretty slow moving. Then hang out in the deep and kick twist, twisting at your waist and using your legs to twist you the other way...tread water...stay in one place and just slow motions with feet and hand..keep yourself as stationary as possible backstroke upright-so your legs are down and youre using your arms to take you backwards..Do things like that for about an hour..You WILL sweat in the water.. its crazy but it happens.. & you should be breathing heavy!!!!!.You can purchase things called water gloves online...They help WONDERS!!! If you go online and just good water jog routines, you should be able to find some different things you can do..it is an AWESOME cardio workout as well as strength building. After your done, make sure you drink LOTS of water to re-hydrate and make sure you stretch your body...very important!!
    If you are staying in the shallows, your doing more aerobics. Use hand buoys (they kinda look like dumbbells but are meant for water...and use noodles..its amazing what you can do in the water.\
    Good luck and I hope this helps a little.
  • 916SAC
    916SAC Posts: 39
    Options
    I have a nice size above ground pool, and have been looking for exercises to
    to in it, im gonna try this with HRM tomorrow and will let you know

Thanks 4 the replies
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Water jog & Water aerobics is VERY low impact and CRAZY awesome for muscles!! You will burn calories...However, for water jogging, you need to do it in the deep end of a pool back and forth different things...like: just using arms from JUST where the deep end starts, to the end of the deep end, and back to the ledge of the deep. Again, the DEEP area is the only area used...Then after you are back to the start, use just legs...Keep back as straight as possible-cup hands to help *pull* you to the end and back..Its not a race, its all pretty slow moving. Then hang out in the deep and kick twist, twisting at your waist and using your legs to twist you the other way...tread water...stay in one place and just slow motions with feet and hand..keep yourself as stationary as possible backstroke upright-so your legs are down and youre using your arms to take you backwards..Do things like that for about an hour..You WILL sweat in the water.. its crazy but it happens.. & you should be breathing heavy!!!!!.You can purchase things called water gloves online...They help WONDERS!!! If you go online and just good water jog routines, you should be able to find some different things you can do..it is an AWESOME cardio workout as well as strength building. After your done, make sure you drink LOTS of water to re-hydrate and make sure you stretch your body...very important!!
    If you are staying in the shallows, your doing more aerobics. Use hand buoys (they kinda look like dumbbells but are meant for water...and use noodles..its amazing what you can do in the water.\

Thanks for the info, my pool is only 5' deep will that be good enough to try
  • 916SAC
    Options
    stats say water jogging (for me) @ 45 mins burns an estimated 528 calories --- that's awesome, even if it is a little off :drinker:
  • 916SAC
    Options

Help's a lot - thanks :]
  • 916SAC
    Options
    so...anyone else????
  • Wibikerlady
    Wibikerlady Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Thanks for the info, my pool is only 5' deep will that be good enough to try

If your feet are on the ground and your head is above the water...Then you would have to turn it into Water aerobics..Your feet have to be off the ground at all times for it to be Water Jog. Sorry :( But you can get a great workout with aerobic too..Do some research for water aerobics and follow some posted routines.
  • 916SAC
    Options
    ok - just bought a AquaJogger Pro Belt from Amazon and gettin' ready 2 do this for real!!!
  • boyflowerbird
    Options
    I have tried aqua jogging with the belt, and honestly i like it better without the belt. literally just pump your arms and "jog" in the deep end. burns tons of calories (400+ in 30 minutes if I really push myself).

i had a friend who was training for a half marathon, got injured, continued training for it in the water by aqua jogging, and she ended up doing the full marathon she had conditioned so well aqua jogging.

good luck! i love the pool for sure!
  • 916SAC
    Options
    I have tried aqua jogging with the belt, and honestly i like it better without the belt. literally just pump your arms and "jog" in the deep end. burns tons of calories (400+ in 30 minutes if I really push myself).

i had a friend who was training for a half marathon, got injured, continued training for it in the water by aqua jogging, and she ended up doing the full marathon she had conditioned so well aqua jogging.

good luck! i love the pool for sure!

Thanks 4 the reply - truth is i can't swim so i am going 2 need the belt...lol.