NZ - Protein powder

Options
hbunting86
hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
Hi all

So I go to the gym a lot (6 times per week burning around 500cal per time) and am thinking protein powder might be a good idea. I've never tried or used it (not a clue how etc) but was hoping someone had advice on the best one/nicest one to get in NZ. I'm really not sure if this would be a good idea for me or the benefits, but I fancy giving it a whirl.

Any thoughts or advice would be really welcome, I'm totally new to this!

H :)

Replies

• laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    1st I'd say look up the june/july 2010 consumer report and the study they did on protein powders so you know which ones to avoid.
    I only use ON (optimum nutrition). I mix mine with water when keeping calories low, with milk when bulking, and unsweetened almond milk when not wanting the sugars in milk. I put it in a shaker and drink.
    I also put it in my oatmeal for something different and also in my pancake mix for something nice there too.

Hope this helps.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    apparently the one I buy is from NZ - and they (the store) say it's very high quality protein powder. It's called Iso-Pro Ultra low carb. It's made by Precision Nutrition. It's whey protein and is quick to absorb.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I really like Jay Robb protein powders. You can buy them at GNC or online (amazon or vitacost). They are pretty pure and only sweetened with stevia, so much better than most of them that have splenda or worse yet, sugar. They are really good too. The pina colada is my current favorite! I mix it with ice, water, and pineapple or mango, sometimes spinach. Yum! Good luck!
  • missa1982
    missa1982 Posts: 30
    Options
    I was just buying my first batch of protein powder as you wrote your post! I too am an English girl living in NZ for the winter. I bought from www.raiseys.co.nz as they sent me a couple of free samples to try and I really liked them. I plan on taking 1 serving before or after I do my weight training routines 3/4 times a week, or as a healthy snack. The one i ordered only has about 80 calories when mixed with water so I feel it is a good way to get my protein without sacrificing too many calories. I ordered the vanilla so I am thinking of putting it on my weetabix in the morning instead of milk!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi

I got some samples from Raiseys! Yay can't wait to try.

Also, there is a company called Eat Me (google it) based in NZ, for all you NZ-ers out there. They've just posted me 3 samples: a chocolate 100% whey protein powder (43.8gprotein in 350ml low fat milk, 285 cal), strawberry 100% isolate sample (47.2g protein, 277 cal in 350m low fat milk) and banana 100% whey protein powder (43.7g protein, 285 cal in 350ml low fat milk). You can always mix with water too.

Just a heads up if you're in NZ - they're happy to send out sample packs and seem to have a much higher protein content than a lot of the powders I've seen.

H :)