Calcium ... Sugar ... Oh, my!

Options
I've been tracking my calcium intake for some time, and I usually fall short (for health reasons, I limit dairy intake). Recently I thought I found my fix: calcium-fortified orange juice.

Tonight I played with my settings to see how I was doing in other nutritional areas. I was shocked to see that I was blowing past the sugar goal every day, even though I stayed within calories, fat, etc. I started looking closely and I couldn't believe all the "hidden" sugar.

Of course, the orange juice is a big offender.

So now I'm back at square one. I guess I'm going to have to learn to like collard greens. :ohwell:

Anyone else shocked by sugar?

Replies

• lonelytylenol
    Options
    Yes. Always so much over on sugar but have 50% carbs and/or sodium to spare at the end of each day. Meh.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested I take a calcium supplements each day because I'm not getting the right amount of Calcium. I always look at nutritional facts now before I eat foods because of the fact that so many foods have added sugars.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I take calcium supplements because I need more than the recommended daily amount. I take the generic version of Viactiv, it's like a little chocolate treat twice a day!

I tend to ignore the sugar because I'm getting it from natural sources. Sugar from juice would be something to avoid though.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on sugar too... but it hasn't got in the way of progress these past 3 years so I'm not going to sweat it. I need extra calcium in my diet and I get that a lot from yoghurt - loads of sugar there. I'm not perfect and I don't care!
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Years ago my doctor's assistant caught up to me after apparently looking at my records before I visited and told me that I needed to start taking calcium and preferably with Vitamin D in it type combo. Simply for the fact that my cycle is so goofy (been postmenopausal since I was 27). And now that I live way north of Texas and don't get the sun I did there, I notice the difference drastically if I don't take it. I get achy and just blah. By all means ladies start taking the calcium w/vitamin d...we don't want to be slumped over like our grandmother and great grandmothers before us...