My body & I are not on the same page!!

Options
My body and I are clearly not on the same page ! I am soooooo confused/befuddled by how my own body works that I am having a mini meltdown with confusion. :indifferent:

Felt the need to just get this off my chest and thought this might be a good place.

My body and I have always had a pretty good relationship my entire life .......I feel I have looked after it well over my lifetime and as a result it has been very good to me and not broken down too often!

However, since embarking on a weight loss quest, my body seems to be working from a different page to the one I'm on! :huh:

I have only done Weight Watchers once before (to lose some baby weight) and had a success in losing 21lbs in 3months. Over the last 8years I have gradually put back on 6-7lbs and although that is not catastrophic, I just wanted to shift those pounds and get back to my preferred weight.

I decided not to pay out initially to join a weight loss plan and tried calorie counting for the first time ever, using the MFP website but alas after 1month of seriously counting EVERY little thing that passed my lips I did not lose anything. I also upped my fitness regime and although I cannot get out to the gym, I was working out at home min 4times per week and yet still no loss to be seen. Zumba, 30day shred, Elliptical trainer etc.

So, I thought I would revert back to Weight Watchers & continue working out as this had worked for me in the past. I have been on their points system for about 5weeks and guess what - NOTHING! No constant loss. I keep seeing the scales go down by 1lb but a couple days later they go back up so I am just staying the same all the time. (I would like to add at this point that I am very precise and have slight OCD so believe me when I say I accounted for EVERYTHING I ate or drank!)
So after nearly 3months on my weight loss journey I am just not losing weight and my body remains the same!

The worst part of all is that about 9days ago I turned to comfort eating (my worst habit) and abandoned any form of exercise in favour of sitting on the sofa and feeling blue. Boy oh boy for the last 9days my healthy diet went out of the window in spectacular fashion! Highlights include a KFC takeaway, curry, 3 course Italian meal, wine, beer, plenty of CHOCOLATE and the list goes on! I knew I had had a binge week from hell and I don't normally drink alcohol so I was prepared to see a gain in weight. Even yesterday I was munching my way though a family size bag of Maltesers whilst at my desk at work and then had 2 curly wurlys when I got home. I won't bore you with just how much rubbish food I have eaten lately and its down to lack of motivation and feeling a little unhappy about some areas of my personal life. :sad:

But here's the thing. After not treating my body very nicely lately, again there is NO CHANGE to my scales! Ordinarily that would be a positive thing but what this means to me is that I just don't understand how my body REALLY works. :noway:

So I am very very confused about what I have to do to lose weight. It seems that I can eat what I like and not gain but when I diet or watch carefully the types of food I am eating, there is no weight loss.

I would appreciate any pearls of wisdom out there or seriously if anyone could make suggestions for my weight loss journey I would be very grateful.

Cheers

CrazyCranberry
:blushing:

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds daft , but you may not be eatng enough, ( i don't mean the last 9 days !)

Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry! That is awful! Working at weight loss for two months to see no result must be very frustrating. I don't think you are alone, either. My last 4 weigh-ins went like this : -.5lb; +1lb; - 3.5 lb; -.5 lb. The aggravating part is the week where I lost 3.5 I threw a party the Saturday before and had a lot, like my share of the keg, a lot of beer. The last 10 days I watched what I drank very carefully (half of the days 0 drinks, and the others one, maybe two on a Sat) and watched my cals, only going over once and usually having extra by two hundred a day...so I should have lost 1.5 and only dropped .5..--anyway this is a ramble.

The point being is that it is hard to know what our bodies are thinking, but don't give up. I am sure you feel better when you are eating right and exercising, so do it for that. Don't let it consume you, and make your goal a healthier lifestyle. Chances are when you return to the healthier ways from your week of binging that your body will jump start again. If all else fails, go see your Dr. Print out your reports from here, keep a journal tracking how you physically feel...maybe there is an underlying medical condition.

PS: I am assuming you are using a food scale and measuring....is your food scale calibrated? check the batteries in your bathroom scale, too,if it is digital!
    Keep truckin'!