Basic Pantry Items.

Options
shydee
shydee Posts: 20 Member
Hello everyone! I am going on my first grocery shopping trip since really starting this. I would luv to know what are some of the must have's you all keep in your pantry. Low calorie, snacks, basic pieces for your meals.. look forward in hearing what ideas I can steal..lol Thanks:)

Replies

• Tracey_Smith
    Tracey_Smith Posts: 199
    Options
    Boring, but porridge in ready packs so you just add milk, 180 cals all in. x
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I always like to keep in:
    Ryvita
    Unsalted mixed fruit and nuts
    Low fat yogurt
    Tins of soup
    Fruit and Veg (lots of!)
    Cottage Cheese
    Low fat/Low sugar cereal bars (or make my own)
    Porridge
    Muesli (no added salt or sugar)

Hope this helps!
  • froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I buy Smart Wheat bread by Wonder since it is only 100 calories for 2 slices and pretty inexpensive for me! Lots of fruit and yogurt. Personally I buy Dannon light and fit, 1/2 cup is only 55 cals. Good luck!
  • simon1127
    simon1127 Posts: 5
    Options
    Eggs
    Wholemeal Bread
    Porridge
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My favorites:

Bob's Redmill Gluten Free Steel cut oats
    Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla almond milk
    Muir Glen soups
    Amy's Organic soups (be careful not to consume more than 1 can of these a day though, they are killer on the sodium and you have to watch closely what you eat for the rest of the day)
  • janpike
    janpike Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I shop so much different now, I look at the calorie information and etc, before I get it. Lower calorie, less carbs, I am very happy so far my results, 60 days and I have lost 16 pounds. Also I keep healthy snacks in refrigeration such as vegetables that I can nibble on when I need something during the day, such as green peppers, celery, raw carrots, they are a big help to me.
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Personally I find meal planning in advance more helpful. This also keeps me from having staple items in the house...because if there is any junk that is not on a pre-planned meal available -- I'll eat it.

On Sunday's I fill out breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks for the week (or at least a couple days ahead with ideas in mind for dinner the rest of the week) and I buy what I need to make/complete the meal at the grocery. This also keeps me from spending on random items that don't go with a particular meal.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, low-sodium canned tomatoes (super handy!) whole-wheat couscous, quinoa, brown rice, olives, lots of spices! no-sugar added peanut butter, oats, raisins, cashews, dark chocolate chips (for chocolate emergencies) dessicated coconut, whole-wheat flour (for making unfried chicken) popcorn kernels (for a quick snack) and God knows what else is in there, haha.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Hummus
    Greek yogurt
    carrots
    broccoli
    graham crackers (I know, this one makes me sound like I'm in kindergarten, but they're great for when I crave sweets!)
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Don’t forget proportion size when you eat the low-cal snacks. I looked through mine and here’s white I have:
    Wheat noodles (spaghetti, a few different types)
    Nature Valley crunchy granola bars
    Oatmeal (quick oats)
    Mustard
    Spices (dill, thyme, oregano, chili, garlic, etc.) I hardly cook with salt but I love to use all these
    Prunes
    Fresh fruit (bananas, apples, grapes)
    Cans of beans (black, kidney, white)
    Soup (chicken noodle, cream of ___)
    Diced tomatos,
    Spaghetti sauce
    Popcorn (I have a air popper)
    Fruit,
    Veggies
    Grilled chicken
    Cans of tuna
    eggs
    low-fat yogurt
    milk
    tea
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Personally I find meal planning in advance more helpful. This also keeps me from having staple items in the house...because if there is any junk that is not on a pre-planned meal available -- I'll eat it.

On Sundays I fill out breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks for the week (or at least a couple days ahead with ideas in mind for dinner the rest of the week) and I buy what I need to make/complete the meal at the grocery. This also keeps me from spending on random items that don't go with a particular meal.

I do this as well, make my shopping list online so I know exactly how much I'll be spending and then write out the list. It saves you money as well because you're not buying crap you'll never eat (as long as you don't deviate from the list.)
  • bode702
    bode702 Posts: 11
    Options
    Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop popcorn, the mini bags (100 calories). It's healthy, filling, and satisfies that snack craving. I usually eat at least a bag a day.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Lentils, onions, butternut squash and milk, also ryvita and tomatoes
  • shydee
    shydee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!! i will keep all this in mind when i am shopping tonite.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Over here in UK most foods have nutrition labels with something like a traffic light system for fat/protein/fibre etc, where green is good, amber ok, and red is going to kill you.

I look for tasty stuff with mostly green lights and avoid all the red ones.

All the other suggestions here are fab too, but if you're just browsing looking for inspiration, I find this to be a good filter.
  • walkinghope
    walkinghope Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Vitatops
    Greek yogurt
    All natural (NSA) peanut butter
    100-calorie sandwich thins
    Apples (I like most fruit, but find apples to be more filling)
    veggie burgers (Morning Star, not Bocca. . .really like the Don Lee Farms v.b. from Costco)
    salad fixin's
    soup - like Progresso Light

I don't plan ahead as well as I should. . .especially for dinner. At least with the above supplies I can usually come up with something filling and healthy. :)
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    greek yogurt (plain) or chobani
    nut butters
    steel cut oats
    apples
    VEGGIES! (great fillers; you can eat a lot for little calories)
    hummus
    sandwich thins
    beans (black and garbanzo)
    laughing cow cheese wedges (usually paired with celery and sometimes on crackers)
    kale (for kale chips)
    almonds

sometimes I freeze bananas and make an "icecream" with them by blending them with almond milk for a sweet treat, you can add raw honey to it too!

I eat oats, eggs or yogurt for breakfast (protein keeps me full longer), salads everyday for lunch with topped with seeds/nuts or beans and vary dinners. Snacks are usually veggies or fruits.